View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of a Modern Jive Dancers Association?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think this is a fab idea for all dancers.

18 54.55%
  • I think this is a fab idea for dance competitors

9 27.27%
  • I don't care either way.

3 9.09%
  • I think this is a silly idea - but I think Divissima is lovely.

3 9.09%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Modern Jive Dancers Association - Viva La Diva!

Re: Modern Jive Dancers Association - Viva La Diference!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Whatever it is, over 80% of people who responded to the poll thought it would be fab

This time Gadget is almost a lone voice in thinking there is no need for something like the MJDA.
    But the pole was a silly pole and bias

I voted

"I think this is a silly idea - but I think Divissima is lovely" as it was the only 'catergory' availble

I dont want to see Jive/ceroc go the route of ball room dancing

Whatever it is, over 80% of people who responded to the poll thought it would be fab

This time Gadget is almost a lone voice in thinking there is no need for something like the MJDA.
    Yes and no, although this thread has been well read, there's not been too many contributors, and only 30+ voters, not sure if it's really representative of Cerocers, let alone MJers, but it's a start...

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart38
    But the pole was a silly pole and bias

I voted

"I think this is a silly idea - but I think Divissima is lovely" as it was the only 'catergory' availble

Most polls are silly, what would you have liked to have voted if you could have picked your own category? Why wouldn't you like to see MJ go the route of BD?

------------

If, as some seem to think, there is a need for an MJDA (or maybe an MJCompetitorsA) what would people like it to do or lobby for? - this might help Divissima if she's still trying to draw thoughts together. I suggest keeping it simple, no more than three one-liners, and I might as well start.

1. Publish competition results including judges marks, recalls etc.
    2. Define eligibility for different categories/experience levels in competitions
    3. Work out how to create more competitions - possibly at a local level.

Hmmm, these are all competition related - oops.

E

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Yes and no, although this thread has been well read, there's not been too many contributors, and only 30+ voters, not sure if it's really representative of Cerocers, let alone MJers, but it's a start...
    He never said it was, he was talking about the 80% who responded and saying Gadget was a lone voice speaking against those respondents - which he is! So its 100% representative of this particular group of people*. I wish people would read things first .

* The group being - those who read and took part in this poll regardless of the fact that they may have been drunk or on drugs at the time.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    I voted

Hmm so you don't like the idea, so presumably you think its a silly idea. You picked "I think this is a silly idea - but I think Divissima is lovely" but complained that it was "the only catagory available", but as you DO think the idea is silly, that option should be perfect UNLESS YOU DONT THINK DIVISSIMA IS LOVELY. I think thats uncalled for. Especially at this time of year . I'm afraid Sir, I shall have to ask you to step outside .*

* cos Toby could come in at any minute and it'll be better if you're outside ( here take a nice wooly jumper) as things could turn nasty - hes an animal, ANIMAL! purr! purr!
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 30th-December-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Why wouldn't you like to see MJ go the route of BD?

------------

E
    qu) why was ceroc started ?

we going to go full circle in next 5yrs.

Re: Modern Jive Dancers Association - Viva La Diva!

Last night dancing on a very sticky floor I hurt my knee, must have twisted it somehow today I am in quite a bit of pain and therefore can not go dancing (not sure if I could drive too)

Could a MJDA help in this situation and if so how ? And would I have to be a paid up subscribing member to get this advise/help ?

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

And the only one who has provided a decent argument for it is below! I dont think that 80% of the respondants actually thought it would be "fab" because I don't think that 80% of those people actually thought.
    { - come on then, what EXACTLY makes this a good idea? what do you expect it to acheive? how do you think these goals will be reached?}

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    But the organisers might think twice about a venue with an unsuitable floor if they knew it wasn't going to be MJDA approved.
    ? as you say, they might. But they might also take heed to one or two individuals who say it's a bad floor. They might be aware of the floor beforee hand. They might take steps to improve the floor before the event. I don't see how the influence of an MJDA would be more influencial than these one or two individuals.

Oh for God's sake! It's just an example!
    And thank you for giving it - any more? The lack of mike is sometimes due to technical hitches or unforseable curcumstances. And how many people do you need before a mike is obligatory? Or do you need one to talk over the music? If so, isn't the music a bit loud?
    Some venues definitely "pack 'em in" beyond what is particularly safe, and certainly beyond what is enjoyable. I avoid such places, and a way of finding out about them and avoiding them would be a good thing IMHO. But again, it was just an example.
    Indeed, and how do you know that it wasn't a one off? If it wasn't, what could a MJDA do about it? I happen to know of one venue I think on as too crowded, but it is such because it is popular and has a great atmosphere. Would the MJDA want to shut it down?

Lots of things 'could' happen. Have they? Where's the URL for events with sprung wooden non-crowded dance floors?
    Lots of bad things could happen without the MJDA's fight to prevent them. Have they? Is the floor and the press of bodies the most important thing of an evening's entertainment? Do you want the MJDA to dictate that too? MJDA approved DJ's? Floors? Level of dancer? Level of dancer granted admittance? When it will start and end?(must allow those who travel time to get there and back) Who is to have fun and who is not?
    Why bother with individual organisers? Why not have an MJDA that organises events and screens everything?

Again, we're getting to the 'coulds' and 'cans'. I grant you Ceroc is big enough to "do it itself". But for the smaller groups, it makes more sense to pool resources rather than each trying to work things out separately.
    Hmmm.... let me see, competing organisers working to make their competitor's event better than theirs... can you really see it?
    You know, for an organisation you don't think would do anything, you seem to be awfully strongly against it!
    I don't like to be dictated to about what I can and can't do. Where I can and can't go. What competition I can and can't enter. What moves I can and can't do. Especially when it would be headed by a minority who would claim to act for the majority. Just because the majority don't dissagree, does not mean that they agree. 26 people out of the population of MJ dancers is not a representative majority.

What it actually does depends a lot on whether it ever comes into existance, and who gets involved. My concern is that it seems frequent competitors are the main activists, and that it will focus very much on competitions to the exclusion of the 99% of MJ that is social dance. To which end, it would seem a good thing if social dancers, teachers and organisers who care passionately about the direction of MJ would be involved.
    To do what?

It would be a 'private club' that only those who had a grevance would join, in the hope that it would sort something out for them instead of going direct to the source. How is this a good thing?

Thread Information