Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Power

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Silly Week! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Wash your mouth out!

(Oh, and we other ladies aren't lovely then? )
    All ladies are lovely, am I the sort of man to say otherwise , but they were the only 3 females i quickly noticed had a power of one - you have the power of 3 and 'giving me 3' isn't funny

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I had thought of that too, so that the lowest rep anyone would have would have been 10 and the highest rep people would have had 100 or so, which would have been more representative of standing on the forum, but not as big a gap as 10 and 1000 plus, which is how it was for a new person.
    I really wanted to do something like that and there was no (at least none I could find, and I spent a lot of time looking) way to implement that kind of graded reduction.
    The problem is that for a while the Power levels were so high that it created a situation where a dozen people reached dizzying heights, not because their posts were better than others, or because they received more positive rep, but because at the time they posted the Power levels were artificially high.
    This was dispiriting for the vast majority of posters who had no hope of ever catching up!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    I really wanted to do something like that and there was no (at least none I could find, and I spent a lot of time looking) way to implement that kind of graded reduction.
    The problem is that for a while the Power levels were so high that it created a situation where a dozen people reached dizzying heights, not because their posts were better than others, or because they received more positive rep, but because at the time they posted the Power levels were artificially high.
    This was dispiriting for the vast majority of posters who had no hope of ever catching up!
    I thought it might be something software related, that there were limited options and settings. As rep is an ongoing thing, I guess those who post useful/entertaining/worthwhile comments will build up rep again anyway, not to the same levels, but to comparative standing on the forum - ie much the same people at the top, just not such a big gap.

We know you work hard to make this forum a great place Franck

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The problem is that for a while the Power levels were so high that it created a situation where a dozen people reached dizzying heights, not because their posts were better than others
    Yes they were. Far better. Wheres your proof ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    In the pudding of course! If you're a very good Smurf, you can have it on Christmas Day, complete with flaming brandy and rum butter QED (quote edibly delicious)
    Last edited by Rhythm King; 14th-December-2004 at 05:23 PM. Reason: deliferate mistale

Commercial Operator

The good news, for me anyway, is that all the negative rep comments I've received have also disappeared

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I think what you did was very fair. Some people were using it as a way of showing how popular they were. Its not a popularity contest!!! I give rep because of what people have to say (or if i am in a good mood i randomly give rep!)! Anyway, for all those people who had lots of rep because the deserved it will rise again! So what are you all worried about!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    Anyway, for all those people who had lots of rep because the deserved it will rise again!
    Exactly. With the new 'power' levels, those with less rep would never have been able to catch up with those at the top, no matter how many wonderful posts they made. Everyone starts equal, and it will balance out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Exactly. With the new 'power' levels, those with less rep would never have been able to catch up with those at the top, no matter how many wonderful posts they made. Everyone starts equal, and it will balance out again.
    I really want to say:- isn't that life! but i feel if i do then it will turn into another thread which should probably best not be started!

I just think that this way everyone will be encouraged to join in and post, not feeling inadequate, because everyone has a contribution to make!

Let the little people speak! (that includes you smurf boy!)

just to explain to the person that neg rep-ed me with this comment

exclamation marks are for exclamations. Use question marks for questions. Eg "What are you all worried about?"

What are you all worried about was said as a statement and not as a question. I did not expect an answer! Therefore i can exclaim it as a statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noticing the new power ratings and how the extremely attractive female forumites on here are bound to reward sincere flattery - can ElaineB, Northants Girly and Trish all give me one ?

thanks
    I'll do anything for flattery, so have just given you one - I hope you noticed!

Elaine

Blog Entries

exclamation marks are for exclamations. Use question marks for questions. Eg "What are you all worried about?"
    Don't you just hate it when someone asks you a question and you don't know whether it's rhetorical or not?

(btw..... it wasn't me!)

Don't you just hate it when someone asks you a question and you don't know whether it's rhetorical or not?

(btw..... it wasn't me!)
    I know it wasn't you!!! I know who it was!!!

Cool avatar!!! Very chrismassy!!!!

What are you all worried about was said as a statement and not as a question. I did not expect an answer!
    Rhetorical questions take question marks.

Therefore i can exclaim it as a statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Less is more.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Less is more.
    What ? Surely size matters ?

Commercial Operator

(btw..... it wasn't me!)
    Wasn't me either. But I think we can guess who it was.

IMHO, giving negative rep for incorrect usage of English is inappropriate. As far as I can see, Franck's intention with the reputation system is to inform the reader about the credibility of the person who is posting - at least in the eyes of the other forum members. This enables the reader to decide if a particular persons post is likely to be good or bad, sensible, nice or nasty, funny or dull, intelligent or stupid, etc: without having to read every post that forum member has posted. Therefore the reputation score adds weight to the view posted. But, not using a "?" does not make someone a lightweight - does it?

If we were to also give negative reputation for bad punctuation or spelling it would make it difficult to interpret the reputation score of any individual. Also, most of us would have a negative reputation score

Please can we all agree that we won't give negative reputation for incorrect spelling and use of English until there is an automatic spelling and grammar check on the forum?

Commercial Operator

What ? Surely size matters ?
    Do you mean small isn't big?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Please can we all agree that we won't give negative reputation for incorrect spelling and use of English until there is an automatic spelling and grammar check on the forum?

Can we all agree? You're having a laugh aint cha ?! (I wasn't sure if that was rhetorical or not so I put both symbols )

The forum automatic spell and grammar checker is called 'Heather'

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Giving negative rep for incorrect usage of English is inappropriate.
    I see that giving positive rep for correct usage of English doesn't generate quite the same molehill to mountain conversion rate.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Less is more.
    NAH

The BIGGER, the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The more the merrier!

Or BBC, as I like to say! Big, Blunt and Crude!

Just ask an American!!! lol

[returning to reality shortly!]

It's not the size of the dog in the fight .... it's the size of the fight in the dog!

[ .... hmmmmm ..... what's that got to do with the price of strawberries!]

Thread Information