Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Power

Re: Silly Week! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Maybe the green pips could be exchanged for another colour once you have a certain amount - eg 5 green pips equals one blue one?
    A bit like Green Shield Stamps?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Any more theories out there?

S. x
    yes its Franks devious contribution to Silly week

I intend to compensate by giving five times as much "neg rep".

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I don't think doing that makes any difference . . . . . I've given you loads

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Well as I understand it, neg rep only counts for half the giver's power.....therefore, with a power of just two Martin, you could only neg rep me to the tune of one point at a time. Given that my 360 points (approx) are worth just one point anyhow, IMHO it would take an awful lot to bring me down to zero - so I say, give it yer best shot!!

(ps, only joking, M - please don't try it, in case my theory is wrong )

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Well as I understand it, neg rep only counts for half the giver's power.....therefore, with a power of just two Martin, you could only neg rep me to the tune of one point at a time. Given that my 360 points (approx) are worth just one point anyhow, IMHO it would take an awful lot to bring me down to zero - so I say, give it yer best shot!!

(ps, only joking, M - please don't try it, in case my theory is wrong )
    Lets put Gojive's theory to the test . . . everyone give Martin neg rep NOW !

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    How tempting is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly

In theory though, there's no difference between practice and theory, but I'm afraid in practice there is!...oooh, I seem to have confused myself a little there!

In theory though, there's no difference between practice and theory, but I'm afraid in practice there is!...oooh, I seem to have confused myself a little there!

Sounds sound to me!! I .... errrr .... think!

Re: Power

Now all the rep points have gone! So what is the point in giving/getting any rep points at all if they are going to be wiped out?

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any more theories out there?
    Just this one

Over the last few months, I have studied and experimented with the Rep system, which created an unfair situation depending on how much power was afforded from one week to the next.
    I quickly realised that Reputation suffered from an inflation problem, and decided to reduce the Power margins.
    You still get power for being an old member of the forum, and for posting a lot of posts, as well as for having high rep, but as of today, I have reset all reputation levels, so we are all starting with a 'clean sheet'.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and if you recently gave rep for any post, which has now disappeared, you can do so again!
    Last edited by Franck; 14th-December-2004 at 03:37 PM.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Noticing the new power ratings and how the extremely attractive female forumites on here are bound to reward sincere flattery - can ElaineB, Northants Girly and Trish all give me one ?

thanks

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    Just this one

Over the last few months, I have studied and experimented with the Rep system, which created an unfair situation depending on how much power was afforded from one week to the next.
    I quickly realised that Reputation suffered from an inflation problem, and decided to reduce the Power margins.
    You still get power for being an old member of the forum, and for posting a lot of posts, as well as for having high rep, but as of today, I have reset all reputation levels, so we are all starting with a 'clean sheet'.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and if you recently gave rep for any post, which has now disappeared, you can do so again!

Thank you franck! You are totally right! Rep is good for letting someone know how you feel about a post but some people, myself included where often just giving it cuz we liked the person! People then were building up power and using it for the wrong reasons! Thanks again franck!

Yeahy the power balance has been restored!
    Last edited by Franck; 14th-December-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Given that my 360 points (approx) are worth just one point anyhow, IMHO it would take an awful lot to bring me down to zero.
    Famous last words?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    can ElaineB, Northants Girly and Trish all give me one ?
    Wash your mouth out!

(Oh, and we other ladies aren't lovely then? )

Glitter Queen

OK, reducing the amount of rep people have because it's getting to rediculous levels, I can see the point of. Reducing repping power to prevent the exponential growth of rep, I can see the point of. Setting everyone practically back at zero again?????
    You've got to be kidding!
    A lot of people have put a lot of hard work time and effort into their posts on this forum and rep, given where it's due, has been a good thing on the whole (although a few blips have been encountered, admittedly). It's annoying that after seeing rep build up it's now all gone again.
    It also now means that there's no indication to new members of the forum who the active/well-respecated posters are (yes I am aware that rep was only an approximate measure of this anyway).

Why have you done it, Franck?

Feeling thoroughly depressed,
    Sparkles.

A lot of people have put a lot of hard work time and effort into their posts on this forum and rep, given where it's due, has been a good thing on the whole (although a few blips have been encountered, admittedly). It's annoying that after seeing rep build up it's now all gone again.
    It also now means that there's no indication to new members of the forum who the active/well-respecated posters are (yes I am aware that rep was only an approximate measure of this anyway).
    Maybe, instead of everyone being back to 10, existing rep over 10 could have been reduced to a 10th? So someone with 500 rep points could now have 50 etc. That would have brought the rep down, but also have given some indication of the current rep of forum members.

Or even a smaller fraction if it was felt necessary but something to indicate their existing rep?

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why have you done it, Franck?
    Sorry

I had to do it that way because there was no other way. Most of the top rep people had reached dizzying heights very quickly. Unfortunately, it had to be all or nothing.

I am convinced that the normal hierarchy will be resumed shortly, but hopefully at a more moderate level.

Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    Sorry

I had to do it that way because there was no other way. Most of the top rep people had reached dizzying heights very quickly. Unfortunately, it had to be all or nothing.

I am convinced that the normal hierarchy will be resumed shortly, but hopefully at a more moderate level.

I'm sorry to go off at you , I just felt a bit snappy because it seems like such a shame.
    I agree that 1/10 (or some other proportion) of the original rep would have been better (and if 1/10 would be less than the original 10 starting points for some people then maybe they should just go back to 10?).
    I know that you probably didn't want to have a big debate about it, but it might also have been nice to ask for suggestions like this one? Just a thought.
    The other thing, of course, was that most of my (and I'm sure some other people's) weight in the forum was due to the fact that my rep had built up. I've only been here 6 months and I try not to just post for the sake of posting, but make constructive comments. This means that I have relatively few posts and a relatively short amount of time on the forum and my power in no way reflects my contribution to the forum. I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram about it, but it certainly seems a bit unfair.

I know you're doing your best, Franck, and as you say, I'm sure the balance will sort itself out soon enough.

S. x

I agree that 1/10 (or some other proportion) of the original rep would have been better (and if 1/10 would be less than the original 10 starting points for some people then maybe they should just go back to 10?).
    I had thought of that too, so that the lowest rep anyone would have would have been 10 and the highest rep people would have had 100 or so, which would have been more representative of standing on the forum, but not as big a gap as 10 and 1000 plus, which is how it was for a new person.

Thread Information