Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hipsters feat. Robert Cordoba

Re: Hipsters feat. Robert Cordoba

Quote Originally Posted by bobgadjet
    How many dance partners would [Gadget] lose dancing [defensively]?
    When dancing on crowded floors, I always appreciate a partner with good floorcraft. I expect Gadget got nothing but kudos for his mad skillz.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev
    Gus,Sheepman,Oracle-you never did give me any ideas for WCS music.Just enough to fill a cd would be more than welcome and very much appreciated.
    I am always on the lookout for new music and do like to be prepared for any eventuality
    Wanted to PM you but you seem to have all email and PM options disabled. Not trying to be obtrusive but I'm not really in a position to post any of the playlists given to me. Sheepman did me a huge favour in helping me out but its his playlist and its not for me to forward on without his permission. Similalry, DavidB showed me a few tracks as a personal favour. Playlists are a very personal and 'expensive' item. To get my last 30 tracks I had to listen to over 1000 samples and probably invested somewhere around 30 manhours .... an investemnent that i'm obviously not just going to hand out. I dont know about Shepman and David but I would guess that they too spend a lot of time and effort in assimilating thier listings... so please understand the reticence in just handing out such listings.

I would suggets that you PM both the above gentlemen so that you can exchange recommendations out of the public gaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Not trying to be obtrusive but I'm not really in a position to post any of the playlists given to me. Sheepman did me a huge favour in helping me out but its his playlist and its not for me to forward on without his permission. Similalry, DavidB showed me a few tracks as a personal favour. Playlists are a very personal and 'expensive' item. To get my last 30 tracks I had to listen to over 1000 samples and probably invested somewhere around 30 manhours .... an investemnent that i'm obviously not just going to hand out.
    All very reasonable and fair enough. However, the US DJ's aren't exactly shy about what they play, so I can give a few leads:
    http://www.tngsdc.org/bbtb/2004/Music/
    http://www.streetswing.com/1swgmus.htm & http://www.streetswing.com/2swgmus.htm
    http://www.usaswingnet.com/top_dj_tunes.htm
    http://www.coloradoswingdance.org/Mu...coastswing.htm

As you'll see, there's actually a lot of overlap between WCS and MJ - RC didn't seem fazed by Toby's playlist last night @ Kent House... So I'm wondering if the issue is more about finding tracks slow and regular enough for beginners. "Chains" (Tina Arena) & "Shackles" (Mary Mary) spring to mind but are perhaps overplayed...

Dave

The Oracle

Oracle-you never did give me any ideas for WCS music.
    I published this list somewhere else recently, and it gives an idea of what I play.

911 - 'A Little Bit More' (Pop, 096 bpm, Teaching, Very Good)
    Alannah Myles - 'Black Velvet' (Blues, 091 bpm, Teaching, Excellent)
    Blackstreet - 'Take Me There (ABC Remix)' (Pop, 097 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Blair - 'Have Fun, Go Mad' (Funk, 097 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Blu Cantrell - 'Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!) (Radio Mix)' (RnB, 090 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Britney Spears - 'My Prerogative (Album Version)' (Pop, 111 bpm, Intermediate, Excellent)
    Destiny's Child - 'Emotion' (RnB, 087 bpm, Teaching, Excellent)
    Harriett - 'Every Man Needs A Woman' (Blues, 103 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Jody Lei - 'How Dirty Can You Get' (RnB, 095 bpm, Intermediate, Excellent)
    Jr Walker - 'Cleos Mood' (Blues, 108 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Jurassic 5 - 'Jayou' (Rap, 098 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Koffee Brown - 'Some Bridges Need Burning' (Soul, 104 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Maroon 5 - 'This Love' (Pop, 095 bpm, Teaching, Excellent)
    Maxi Priest - 'Close To You' (Soul, 096 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Michael Jackson - 'You Rock My World' (Pop, 095 bpm, Teaching, Good)
    Nikki Costa - 'Everybody Got Their Somebody' (RnB, 104 bpm, Teaching, Excellent)
    Queen Latifah - 'The Same Love That Made Me Laugh' (RnB, 099 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Rolling Stones - 'Miss You' (Rock, 105 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Sarah Connor - 'Bounce (Us Radio Version)' (RnB, 096 bpm, Teaching, Excellent)
    The 411 - 'Drop Top Jeans (feat. Spoony)' (RnB, 093 bpm, Intermediate, Excellent)
    The 411 - 'Teardrops' (RnB, 100 bpm, Beginner, Very Good)
    Tina Arena - 'Chains' (Ballad, 092 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Tina Turner - 'Let's Stay Together' (Rock, 104 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Toni Braxton - 'Another Sad Love Song (Short)' (Dance, 096 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    Tweet - 'Make Ur Move' (RnB, 107 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)
    VS - 'Make It Hot' (RnB, 102 bpm, Beginner, Excellent)

Commercial Operator

I had to listen to over 1000 samples and probably invested somewhere around 30 manhours ....
    I feel that I should be spending around 30 hours a week listening to music that's new to me, to stand any chance of keeping up, though I mostly can't manage that much, but I have posted a 2 or 3 west coast playlists over the last year, which should be easy enough to find with a few searches, this one is one where I used more than the usual number of MJ favourites (some overplayed?) :-Bisley playlist

Greg

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I published this list somewhere else recently, and it gives an idea of what I play.
    A great list, David, and a reminder of a few recent tracks that I must add to my playlist for Bognor ...

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    A great list, David, and a reminder of a few recent tracks that I must add to my playlist for Bognor ...

Greg
    Me too.

Maybe this is in the wrong thread, but,

Off the forthcoming new releases, for WCS check out.......
    Blue - Get down on it, good remake of Kool & gang
    Tin Tin Out fe. Sharon Woolf - Earth & Stars, also a good Samba
    Akon - Locked up
    Linsey Lohan - Rumours
    The Roots - I don't care
    and you might just try
    Xzibit - Hey now, the "clean" version. a bit hip hoppish, but different and interesting.

Wanted to PM you ...
    Me too, on another matter.

I posted an MJ playlist to a dance forum some time ago asking which tracks were suitable for WCS and the unanimous (3) response was "all of them".

RC didn't seem fazed by Toby's playlist last night @ Kent House...

Toby does have by far one of the best playlists around but I would be worried if RC did get fazed by it. What hope would the rest of us have. I took the rare opportunity to sit out at one point to watch Viktor and RC dancing at the same time to see the differences. Great night, well done Toby.

Quote;
    Sheepman did me a huge favour in helping me out but its his playlist and its not for me to forward on without his permission. Similalry, DavidB showed me a few tracks as a personal favour. Playlists are a very personal and 'expensive' item. To get my last 30 tracks I had to listen to over 1000 samples and probably invested somewhere around 30 manhours .... an investemnent that i'm obviously not just going to hand out. I dont know about Shepman and David but I would guess that they too spend a lot of time and effort in assimilating thier listings... so please understand the reticence in just handing out such listings

I understand completely Gus.I hold the same opinion.I was actually thinking in terms of tried and tested tracks that are perhaps in your opinion overplayed.I am afraid I wouldnt know where to begin looking for the music as I am not at all familiar with the dance.I generally take the attitude that if its a track on general release and freely available from most high street outlets then I am quite happy to pass it on but if its a track that is somewhat obscure-Vem Vet,InGrid etc-I am a little reticent in handing out such listings.

I also spend an awful lot of my spare time trying to find and listen to tracks that might be suitable for MJ.I am extremely grateful to this forum for giving me lots of suggestions via the playlists that appear every now and then.

Thank also to Sheepman,DavidB and Bobgajet for your help and information.
    Well thats my weekend sorted then.

I have just checked your playlist for Bisley,Sheepman and I am surprised that there are quite a few that I use for MJ.
    But there is one name that keeps cropping up in the playlists that I have never heard of and never been able to find.LEMON.Its almost become an obsession with me now-I am determined to hear just what this guy sounds like.

I have just checked your playlist for Bisley,Sheepman and I am surprised that there are quite a few that I use for MJ.
    But there is one name that keeps cropping up in the playlists that I have never heard of and never been able to find.LEMON.Its almost become an obsession with me now-I am determined to hear just what this guy sounds like.
    Try here

R-K

Commercial Operator

I have never heard of and never been able to find.LEMON.
    I'm pretty sure that's another one that is down to Peter (LL) for uncovering ...
    (Though Latin Lover would possibly be on a lot of people's overplayed lists by now, but it has been around quite a while, Won't You Join Me For A Drink? and Easy Tiger are still favourites of mine to dance to.)

Greg
    Last edited by Sheepman; 14th-December-2004 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Try here

R-K
    I wouldn't have recognised the name, but when I heard it I recognised Latin Lover - a popular track in salsa here. Wouldn't mind adding it to my collection (trying to build up some playlists for the dancers here in NI).

My email and pm have now been enabled.

Jon Brett is THE man.

Blistering set tonight.

Luscious, end to end. Top man.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    When I learned Salsa 7 years ago it was a fledgling class in MK and all the freestyle music was slow/med and I remember the dances would regularly falling to pieces when the music reached a certain BPM. For the last few years the freestyle salsa music has been blastingly fast to satisfy the experienced dancers and teachers...and the poor beginners look on in awe for a bit and then drift off home. I think where footwork is involved there is a gradual speeding up that is part of the journey.

I think that is where you are wrong!

Yes, the music got faster and faster, hideously fast, actually.

No, it is not to satisfy teachers and advanced dancers. Most advanced dancers will always prefer slow to medium music because it is more challenging to create a nice dance using the music - same in MJ/Ceroc. Playing fast music is for impressing people. The end result is that even those teachers and so-called advanced dancers that request it have either no idea how to count themselves through the music (or out of a paper bag for that matter) or they do not know that the idea is to dance to the music.

I danced with a so-called advanced girl the other night to a medium song and she constantly tried to make it a race. Then I saw her dance with another guy to a fast piece of music and still they were way too fast.

The fast music they play sucks because you cannot do any more complicated moves as there is not enough time for the girls to recover a triple spin, sometimes not even a double and the likes. These people need some lessons in music before they should be let loose on the dance community!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Jon Brett is THE man.
    Chris
    He is THE DADDY
    I loved the music last night and so did everyone I asked (except one guy who hadn't noticed any difference ). There was so much variety and all great to dance to. I had plenty of chances to practise my WCS...so I have no excuses now .

Last night, just like in the old days.... I heard two new tracks that I loved, but the rest of the music was so good so I didn't get round to asking what it was. That is my kind of night.

Thanks JB

BIG HUG

ZW

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    He is THE DADDY
    I loved the music last night and so did everyone I asked (except one guy who hadn't noticed any difference ). There was so much variety and all great to dance to. I had plenty of chances to practise my WCS...so I have no excuses now .

Last night, just like in the old days.... I heard two new tracks that I loved, but the rest of the music was so good so I didn't get round to asking what it was. That is my kind of night.
    Sounds like I missed out on brilliant night, Gutted!

Well done JB! I know if ZW loved it, I would have too!

More of the same next week please!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Sounds like I missed out on brilliant night, Gutted!

Well done JB! I know if ZW loved it, I would have too!

More of the same next week please!

Me too, oh bu**er.
    My fault for doing a family thing. Back to the dance floor next week then, for definate.

Thread Information