View Poll Results: What is musicality to you?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hitting the breaks?

33 70.21%
  • Changing style of moves to fit the style of music?

35 74.47%
  • Emphasising crescendos or vice versa?

26 55.32%
  • Marking multiple accents with simple movements?

20 42.55%
  • Dancing stoccato if the music's stoccato & vice versa?

21 44.68%
  • Adopting a body posture to suit the musical style?

23 48.94%
  • Emphasis on individual notes or instruments, eg with footwork?

23 48.94%
  • Acting out the lyrics?

21 44.68%
  • Getting sexy when the sax plays?

13 27.66%
  • Just letting the music take over your body?

32 68.09%
  • None of the above?

1 2.13%
  • Something completely different? (Silly walks?!) Please explain

5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musicality: What is it to you?

Re: Musicality: What is it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Interesting project/game.......

Find a play list of say 10 well known songs, all with different genre.

Get a few (good) couples to dance them, and film them.

With a group of friends, you have to guess (from the playlist) which track they're dancing to, just by their interpretation and body movements!

The bit I'm not sure about is, would the game be to judge the dancers musicality or our own

Hey, would you buy the game? Move over Trivial persuit!
    I would sounds like an absoulte riot!!!

Cool Re: Musicality: What is it to you?

One area of musicality we haven't discussed yet (so far as I can tell) is finishing the dance. It's a great opportunity for a drop, of course, to mark what is often a dramatic moment. Some numbers have false endings (ever done Snowdonia where you think you've reache d the top..and then, ok look another bit) which are a pain or a challenge (whichever way you look at it).
    But I like the fade outs - as you can do something whimsical and slowly walk off (ooor whatever). But please Britrock dont count in the ending - you are eliminating an important competition skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I just ticked them all, Greg knows musicality and all his suggestions are valid - he might have at least come up with some stupid ones to test us. i.e jumping up and down through the entire song I am quite consious of the fact that most of them I dont do or possibly do badly but they are all things i would consider to be valid musical interpretation.
    I'd beg to differ, your 'onor!

Sure hitting the breaks the first few times felt really novel, interrupted the flow of the moves, and added some welcome variety. How about after the 85 thousandth time!! Do I still want to hit all the breaks? It's now predictable, routine and adds (at most) little. Every song will ultimately have it's own fixed routine.

I've got a problem with acting out the lyrics as well ... 'specially when it crosses the music. [I think this has been raised before] Music is lively, and lyrics are sad? What am I influenced by? Personally, the music. Lyric says "Stop", accompanied by a sudden musical clash (of cymbals) okay. How about if music continues.

For me, improvising is a great part of dancing, as is the dynamic between me and my partner.

And so, in conclusion, the manner in which I dance with my partner will be determined by:
    a) how I feel at that particular time
    b) the level of rapport that I have with my partner at that particular time
    c) how my partner responds to me at that particular time (presumably based on how she is)

I will probably do all of those things listed at one time or another .... but certainly not consistently. Why not? Because I am continuously changing, little by little, day by day. As are (I guess) my dance partners!)

Ian

PS ... great thread ... great discussion ... great opinions ... great food for thought!

PPS I wholey agree with Daisy Chain and Jockey, about using the body to tell a story (where possible) to music. Problem with choreographed music is the loss of spontaneity ... and lead/follow for that matter. Really good couples will be able to make it look fresh for years .... probably not on the inside though!

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans
    Every song will ultimately have it's own fixed routine.
    There are too many ways of interpreting the music for it to be the same every time. When I teach, I explain about 9 levels of interpreting the beat, and at least the same for everything else (lyrics, mood, etc). But when I dance I'm lucky if I can think of more than 3 or 4, let alone allowing the lady do them. (Notice the "allowing the lady" bit - I obviously just stand still...)

Problem with choreographed music is the loss of spontaneity ... and lead/follow for that matter.
    The only thing choreographed is the move. The styling, the emotion, the timing etc can all change.

And even though the move is choreographed - it is still lead and follow. There is so much more to lead & follow than just the man telling the lady what move to do next.

David

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans
    I'd beg to differ, your 'onor!

Sure hitting the breaks the first few times felt really novel, interrupted the flow of the moves, and added some welcome variety. How about after the 85 thousandth time!! Do I still want to hit all the breaks?
    Hmm, the point is that they are valid methods of musical interpretation not that they are any good. You say you differ in opinion, but explain breaks as if they were valid musical interpretation that you got fed up with Other valid interpretation would be slapping yourself in the face on every second beat but your follower would seriously worry about your mental health if you tried it .

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    The only thing choreographed is the move. The styling, the emotion, the timing etc can all change.
    Not to mention whether or not you step in a pool of water during the lift...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    damn, i didn't realise it was multiple choice! Thats what i get for jumping in with out reading the instructions!!!
    No, neither did I! It doesn't say so!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

It has lots of tick boxes if its multiple choice, if its not multiple choice it has round switchable radio buttons instead. I thought ticks were a give away. hmm is this a web page familiarity thing ? did anyone else not realise ? Im serious, I am interested in web page user testing you see!

It has lots of tick boxes if its multiple choice, if its not multiple choice it has round switchable radio buttons instead. I thought ticks were a give away. hmm is this a web page familiarity thing ? did anyone else not realise ? Im serious, I am interested in web page user testing you see!
    Thanks for that DS, I'll look out for it next time. No I didn't realise, and yes it could be a familiarity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lory
    Interesting project/game.......

Find a play list of say 10 well known songs, all with different genre.

Get a few (good) couples to dance them, and film them.

With a group of friends, you have to guess (from the playlist) which track they're dancing to, just by their interpretation and body movements!
    Excellent idea!

There are too many ways of interpreting the music for it to be the same every time. When I teach, I explain about 9 levels of interpreting the beat, and at least the same for everything else (lyrics, mood, etc). But when I dance I'm lucky if I can think of more than 3 or 4, let alone allowing the lady do them. (Notice the "allowing the lady" bit - I obviously just stand still...) ...

Certainly, I agree there are a number (numerous maybe, but certainly not infinite) of ways of dancing to a specific bit of music
    The only thing choreographed is the move. The styling, the emotion, the timing etc can all change. ...

Agreed again theoretically. My point is that in a finite world, is it not reasonable to suggest that one of these many combinations will prove to be optimum, and feel/look (whatever is the measure) to be the better of the alternatives. A counter argument (to mine) might be that although finite, the number of combinations is sufficiently large as to be as near as dammit! Or that because I (as an individual) will feel, at least slightly, differently day-to-day, the 'optimum' for me at any one moment might be different. Any others??

In practice, and for me, I would get bored doing the same choreographed routine week in, week out for, say, ten years. But would possibly like doing a routine that I hadn't done for a while, ten years later!

... And even though the move is choreographed - it is still lead and follow. There is so much more to lead & follow than just the man telling the lady what move to do next.
    David
    Please explain. My angle on lead (I'm sure there's a past or future thread there), is as simplistic as I can make it [suits my ideals!]. For me, including anything that isn't absolutely necessary, or complicates the dance relationship detracts from being with the music.

In addition to dancing, my job is (in no particular order) as a lead is to:
    a) provide a supporting, confidence inspiring foundation for my follow, from which she can spring (so to speak) and perform/express.
    b) keep her safe (from bumping into anyone)
    c) suggest (or invite) the next move
    d) suggest/invite a style
    e) Help her recover should she lose balance/control beat etc

Anything else, significant to add?

Ian

I realised - but think it is a web familiarity thing - as it wasn't apparent at first - something about the wording of the poll made me think it might be and with the squares rather than radio buttons - gave it a go - think it is always worth stating if more than one option can be selected

To me, musicality is letting the music affect the way you are dancing, whether you do it consciously or unconsciously, and whether the result is good, bad, or ugly. So, for me, all the options in the poll above are types of musicality, as is slapping yourself in the face on every second beat. That doesn't necessarilly mean that they're all good musicality, though...

I feel I have to add - I'm not sure if I know exactly how to do all the things I have ticked but feel they should be done, where appropriate.

I find that I instinctively danced with some musicality for years when just dancing 'solo' at parties etc (otherwise you just shuffle from foot to foot, and dance every track the same, can't see the point in that myself!) but that I haven't transferred much of this to MJ. Anyone else find this? I suspect its because I am still learning and concentrating on following. Will I be able to merge my musical interpretation with following over time? I hope so!

When real dancers freeze, people wonder why the band missed the break.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Made my quotes file.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    like it

Commercial Operator

In the unlikely occurrence that I get a chance, I will try and talk to Robert Cordoba about musicality tonight. He is the one dancer that has inspired me more than anybody else in this respect, and I think even Nigel idolises him!
    I suspect the floor at Ealing will be emptier than normal tonight, because people will just be standing watching in awe.
    (Hmmm, I hope he doesn't have an "off night" after I've said all that.)
    So if I'm not totally awestruck, I'll be making notes to report back tomorrow.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    In the unlikely occurrence that I get a chance, I will try and talk to Robert Cordoba about musicality tonight. He is the one dancer that has inspired me more than anybody else in this respect, and I think even Nigel idolises him!
    Actually, something I'd really like would be a musicality workshop/discussion thing where Robert just talks about musicality, performance etc., maybe demoing some stuff, or playing through one of his showcase performances. When he teaches it in a "traditional" way (i.e. by having us do stuff), I find my novice WCS abilities get in the way. I'm interested in how things like how you highlight accents, change the timing of moves, how you choose and perform moves for the much more intense musicality of a showcase - but if I have to dance the concepts (at least if we're talking WCS not MJ), then I'm not going to get beyond trying to hit very obvious breaks. It's more than a little frustrating...

Dave

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Actually, something I'd really like would be a musicality workshop/discussion thing where Robert just talks about musicality, performance etc.
    Why hadn't I thought of that? (No need to answer that ). Maybe we should start lobbying for such a workshop for his next trip, that means we might have to wait another year

I'm afraid I have nothing to report back from last night, (I could talk about the lesson, but that is way off thread). How useless am I? (You don't HAVE to answer that either.) Every now and then I said "I must go and watch Robert dancing." and a great track came on, and there was a fab dancer for me to dance with, and I, erm, spent the whole night dancing... Sorry!

Greg

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Why hadn't I thought of that? (No need to answer that ). Maybe we should start lobbying for such a workshop for his next trip, that means we might have to wait another year

I'm afraid I have nothing to report back from last night, (I could talk about the lesson, but that is way off thread). How useless am I? (You don't HAVE to answer that either.) Every now and then I said "I must go and watch Robert dancing." and a great track came on, and there was a fab dancer for me to dance with, and I, erm, spent the whole night dancing... Sorry!

Greg
    Typical just you you you ...
    I was looking forward to your report ....

Thread Information