Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Musicality - The Difference it Makes

Re: Musicality - The Difference it Makes

I totally agree with Andy's first post and also DavidB's response. I personally find it very important that people dance to music but also recognise that for the majority fun is more important. Having said that, I can't enjoy myself if I am to run through moves without caring for the music but that is beside the point.

As David said, it is something that should be emphasised in advanced classes and workshops. In fact, there shouldn't be a single dancer around calling themselves 'advanced' and not be able to interpret music. Dancing is interpreting music and if I want to be advanced at it I have to be able to read music and transform it into motion. Otherwise you may well do gymnastics.

The difficulty with teaching it is, however, that you will need to play music that has got a lot of character. In many cases music used for teaching is simple to allow students to concentrate on the moves you teach. So the game has to either raised or changed

Quote Originally Posted by RogerR
    Musicality, Its inspirational when a couple share the same feeling for a tune. But when they differ.....

I remember a Musicality class I paid £35 for and the tutor using Take Five -Dave Brubeck as an example of a good dancing tune. 1 2 3 4 _ 1 2 3 4 _

Still I guess someone thinks 5/4 is an ideal dance time sig.
    I would love to try and dance to "Take 5", but I suppose I am beyond hope. I went to see Handel's Messiah tonight, and, at times, I had my eyes shut choreographing some of that with MJ moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    I can't enjoy myself if I am to run through moves without caring for the music but that is beside the point.

The difficulty with teaching it is, however, that you will need to play music that has got a lot of character. In many cases music used for teaching is simple to allow students to concentrate on the moves you teach. So the game has to either raised or changed
    I find myself getting frustrated because my favourite, slowish, bluesy tracks are often played during the lesson, as that means that they won't be played during the freestyle later and I will have to dance to lots of thump, thump, thump pop.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    My subjective impression of a lot of other teachers that I watch is that their musicality, which is often very nice, is based more on instinct - so they would find it correspondingly difficult to teach that particular aspect of what they do. And there are those, of course, who are not very musical themselves, so you wouldn't expect them to be able to teach it.

Bottom line: musicality is hard (I certainly wouldn't claim to be a particularly musical dancer yet - though I'm getting better). Teaching it probably even more so. Add to that the relative unpopularity of learning something difficult and it isn't surprising that it's so rare.

Chris
    It's a tough one this. As a newby teacher, i'd have to agree with this. I 'think' i know what musicality is but how do you teach it. (sorry by the way if this has already been covered, but i've not read all the thread ).

I think, like most things to do with dancing that it's a very personal thing, and open to an individual's interpretation. As a teacher, it's my opinion, that the moves i teach are the framework and the personality you put on the move is determined by your environment, as in, the music. To me musicality is possibly more about dancing appropriately in the environment (music!) you're in, than anything else, but is this right or wrong....i dinnae nae. One thing i don't think musicality is, is hitting break after break after break...that's just counting....isn't it?

JB x x

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    To me musicality is possibly more about dancing appropriately in the environment (music!) you're in, than anything else, but is this right or wrong....
    Well, I think it's right. But saying that doesn't help anyone learn to do it. If you don't find it so easy that it appears to come naturally (and I don't, so I know ), then this definition does nothing to make musical dancing any more accessible.

I think it needs a teacher that can give you an understanding of the structure of the music, or at least of how to search for the structure yourself, and who can give you some ideas about what to actually do with that structure - ideas that you can then build on as you get better.

But like I say, it's hard. No discredit to the teachers that can't, but total respect to those that can.
    i dinnae nae
    Ahem. You don't think you're fooling anyone with this do you? I distinctly recall hearing you talking in a clear English accent at Walthamstow the other weekend

One thing i don't think musicality is, is hitting break after break after break...that's just counting....isn't it?
    Well it's certainly not all of it. It might be counting to start with, with music where the breaks are regular. But I don't count any more, mostly I can hear it coming.

And even if you're counting, that doesn't make it all that easy to actually do something cool in the break.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Ahem. You don't think you're fooling anyone with this do you? I distinctly recall hearing you talking in a clear English accent at Walthamstow the other weekend

Chris

Hey, i've had my passport stamped and everything...

Thread Information