Thread: Seeing yourself dancing on video

Seeing yourself dancing on video

Hi All,

We're in the stages of planning the final bits and pieces to our Christmas Party at Twyford and wanted to find out your thoughts on something. I know other events have done this but I'm not sure how popular it has been or is this something that people want? We're thinking of using a separate room where couples can go to get themselves filmed dancing together, to a couple of tracks of their choice - they can then purchase their DVD.

I know from seeing myself dancing on video I was horrified to see how I actually looked (it felt so good at the time too!) but didn't realise I was doing certain things with my spare hand or my spinning looked a bit wonky etc - I guess its good to know the things that you can work on but it did spoil it for me a bit. Do the majority of people that come to Ceroc want to know how they look when they dance? Do they care? Does it matter? Does it spoil the fun?

I know the competition standard dancers are constantly scrutinising past videos of themsleves to see what worked well and maybe things that didn't but do the rest of the dancing public want to know?

Bex

Re: Seeing yourself dancing on video

Quote Originally Posted by Bex
    Hi All,

We're in the stages of planning the final bits and pieces to our Christmas Party at Twyford and wanted to find out your thoughts on something. I know other events have done this but I'm not sure how popular it has been or is this something that people want? We're thinking of using a separate room where couples can go to get themselves filmed dancing together, to a couple of tracks of their choice - they can then purchase their DVD.

I know from seeing myself dancing on video I was horrified to see how I actually looked (it felt so good at the time too!) but didn't realise I was doing certain things with my spare hand or my spinning looked a bit wonky etc - I guess its good to know the things that you can work on but it did spoil it for me a bit. Do the majority of people that come to Ceroc want to know how they look when they dance? Do they care? Does it matter? Does it spoil the fun?

I know the competition standard dancers are constantly scrutinising past videos of themsleves to see what worked well and maybe things that didn't but do the rest of the dancing public want to know?

Bex

Hi Bex,

This is something a group of us had been talking about in Glasgow recently. As a bunch of intermediates / beginners we were wanting (idle curiosity really) to see for ourselves how we looked when dancing. But at the same time its kind of a 'better the devil you know' thing - it might be best not to see exactly what we do with that spare hand, or how wobbly the spins really are . . . Will let you know if we get anything set up, and what the results are !

We're thinking of using a separate room where couples can go to get themselves filmed dancing together, to a couple of tracks of their choice - they can then purchase their DVD.
    What an interesting idea. How much would you be proposing to charge for the DVD?

I know from seeing myself dancing on video I was horrified to see how I actually looked
    You look pretty good when you're dancing with me . Who was the eejit that made you look bad??? I'll rough him up a bit for you if you like

but do the rest of the dancing public want to know?
    I wonder. I wasn't competing this time last year, but if you'd asked me then I'd still have wanted to find out the awful truth. But I've always been quite obsessive about the things I want to get better at, irrespective of whether it's an actual competition. Not at all sure a lot of people would be quite that weird...

Chris

As a general thing the only thing I like less then seeing me on video is... hearing my voice. Probably because of all those little things that are not part of my self image, but are part of the "me" the rest of the world knows.

that just reminded me of a post I have unfinished....

Commercial Operator

I know from seeing myself on video I was horrified to see how I actually looked (it felt so good at the time too!) but didn't realise I was doing certain things a bit wonky etc -
    Yeah, Bex.

I remember when my ex put our vid on the net, I was horrified...

Still, made me improve no end!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know from seeing myself dancing on video I was horrified to see how I actually looked
    Bex
    I remember dancing at Chigwell a year or so ago (it's a dance/aerobics studio with a mirrored wall) and suddenly I caught sight of my self up till that moment, I was in blissful ignorance, I actually dancing with a great dancer and felt quite light and floaty but I was horribly shocked into the reality of the ugly truth.

THAT'S what I look like? ****

It really knocked my confidence and ruined my evening!

But in saying that, I've got friends who quite opening try to watch themselves and I think would love to be filmed! And good on them!

Not me though, blissfull ignorance is the place for me!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    .....blissfull ignorance is the place for me!

Shove up, I'd like to join you

Daisy

(A Blissfully Ignorant Little Flower)

I remember dancing at Chigwell a year or so ago (it's a dance/aerobics studio with a mirrored wall) and suddenly I caught sight of my self up till that moment, I was in blissful ignorance, I actually dancing with a great dancer and felt quite light and floaty but I was horribly shocked into the reality of the ugly truth.

But in saying that, I've got friends who quite opening try to watch themselves and I think would love to be filmed! And good on them!

Lory - right with you!!!

Also, Chris A - I don't think the DVD would be anymore than they guy charged for the Summer Ball DVD which was £6.00 and you are a sweetie, but it was the lovely Billco I was dancing with at the time - he was also pretty critical of himself, I thought he looked great!

It would be nice if there were more video clips up on the web. I keep trying to spread the word about Ceroc to my net buddies, but I do not know of a single site where I can find an MJ clip that gives the real flavour of the dance as most of us perform it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    It would be nice if there were more video clips up on the web. I keep trying to spread the word about Ceroc to my net buddies, but I do not know of a single site where I can find an MJ clip that gives the real flavour of the dance as most of us perform it.
    Have you seen these Big D? ....

http://www.cerocplus.co.uk/html/lessons.html

The Dashing Moderator

Speaking personally, I'm at the stage where I'd like to see how good or bad my dancing looks (so I could hopefully improve). So yes I'd definitely like to see what I look like and this would be a handy way to do it if it was a nearby venue (Twyford may be a bit far for me).

However if you'd asked me a year ago I think I'd have said I wasn't interested - so I don't know how wide an appeal it would have.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Have you seen these Big D? ....

http://www.cerocplus.co.uk/html/lessons.html
    Yes, thanks, and given links to them previously. However the ones I tried no longer work - more Ceroc than plus now, I regret to say.

What I would really like is a camera panning over a normal freestyle or DWAS, so that I could show more like a normal punters eye view, the more normal social scene.

You always look great when I've seen you, Lory.

As far as dance development, being videoed is the obvious way forward. As far as personal development goes the less I do that panders to self-consciousness the better. So I'll probably be giving it a miss for a while yet. Perhaps some enterprising psychotherapist could offer courses of pre and post videoing counselling alongside the shoes'n'massage shopping experience on offer at weekenders?

Totally agree Lory
    Whenever I see a video of myself dancing I want to curl up and die!!!!

My confidence is in tatters and every time I dance from then on I have this awful image of myself in my head.

Therefore, although I realise videos can help identify the areas for improvement, and are a necessary evil when preparing for a comp, I wouldn't want to have one unless....

IT IS DIGITALLY ENHANCED LIKE A PHOTO

Too much of a reality chech otherwise.
    Last edited by Daisy; 25th-November-2004 at 10:51 PM.

Great Idea ,Bex
    we may well be tempted if we can get there

isn't it interesting how even if it feels really right, sometimes it just looks naff!
    and the opposite is even more true of dancing(esp ballet ,I imagine) i.e. it can feel bad but look GREAT!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    Perhaps some enterprising psychotherapist could offer courses of pre and post videoing counselling alongside the shoes'n'massage shopping experience on offer at weekenders?
    That sounds good!

On a course a couple of months ago we were videoed giving a 10 min talk, the others (group of 5 of us plus tutor) had to make notes, then we had to watch ourselves and each other and comment. Scary, but you quickly forget about the camera, and also when watching back at first I was cringing but then was focusing on what I was doing right/wrong. It was very helpful and I would at some stage like to try watching myself dancing on video.

Thread Information