Thread: Odd Body Movements

Question Odd Body Movements

Helllllpppppp!

I have danced with a couple of women of late that do some really weird body rolling and foot placing movements (possibly they are friends or learn't at similar venues) but the movements were so forced and frankly ugly I wanted to stop dancing and say "pack it in!". Ettiquette however prevented me and the next time I meet Miss Quette I will have words.

I tried to move so smoothly through my actions that these women would feel inclined to imitate - No avail on both occaisions they continued with their ungainly contortions. I tried to hold them in positions where they could only respond with sensible movements - You guessed it they still continued.

What the hell do you do to stop 'em?

And while I'm astride Dobbin, how do you stop women bouncing too?

These (ermmm I'm tying to be PC now), styles??? (did that work?) I feel are too imbedded in their dancing to say anything about on the floor or even afterwards. I will however mention to a partner that is rushing moves, for example, that she should slow down and wait for the music (in a nice way - well without expletives) and normally they will listen to that advice and we end up finishing the dance in a much more elegant manner than we began. As we are obviously talking about less confident dancers no one wants to be horrid to them - if they stop coming because we are nasty to them that is 'chopping off our noses to spite our faces'. So I try and help with some little piece of advice - works most times anyway.

BUT the bouncing and contortionism how do you stop that?

Answers on a postcard please to Confused of Hinckley.

Re: Odd Body Movements

Just remember my favourite quote from Strictly Ballroom

Where the man goes, the lady must follow..
    It s up to you , you don’t have to dance with them

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    Helllllpppppp!

Well, Jill Halfpenny's Mum recommends a good sports bra

Daisy

(A Sensible M&S Flower)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain

Daisy

(A Sensible M&S Flower)

RAFLMAO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain

Daisy

(A Sensible M&S Flower)
    Nah i can cope with those bounces..........

Oooopps Did i really say that?

BUT the bouncing and contortionism how do you stop that?
    I knew a girl who was a bit of a Zebedee to dance with - bouncing all over the place - and I found her impossible to dance with.

I did watch a guy dance with her who did manage to overcome the problem and he did it by keeping her busy - with twists, turns, spins etc.

I always thought that he just liked doing complicated moves until I noticed that it stopped her bouncing.

Hey Presto!!

Another option would be to stop dancing, face her and start jumping up and down and say "hey, I like this track. Let's just bounce to it"

A recent in-dance conversation I had, paraphrased somewhat:

"Hey, I like what you did with your head there."
    "Huh? What did I do?"
    "You sorta waved it from side to side with the beat. It looked really neat."
    "I did? Oh my god, that's terrible!"

----

I suppose you could try dancing with them in front of a mirror or video camera, so they can at least see what you're talking about.

Helllllpppppp!

I have danced with a couple of women of late that do some really weird body rolling and foot placing movements (possibly they are friends or learn't at similar venues) but the movements were so forced and frankly ugly I wanted to stop dancing and say "pack it in!". Ettiquette however prevented me and the next time I meet Miss Quette I will have words.

I tried to move so smoothly through my actions that these women would feel inclined to imitate - No avail on both occaisions they continued with their ungainly contortions. I tried to hold them in positions where they could only respond with sensible movements - You guessed it they still continued.

What the hell do you do to stop 'em?

If I'm leading a girl (or a guy for that matter) who is bouncing I tend to tell them. I'll say something like "Did you realise you're bouncing up and down with the music, I hope you don't mind me saying so, but it makes you much more difficult to lead (follow), it would be easier if you tried smoothing things out a bit." Often they don't realise they're doing it, and some will improve, but one guy I danced with said to me "but I like bouncing", even though I'd said to him he was wrenching my arm every time he did it. I avoid him now if I see him, luckily he's moved house and changed venue!

As to the strange movements, perhaps it's better to emphasise the positive, and say something along the lines of "I really like it when girls smooth out all their movements and don't move around too much, it makes thing so much easier to lead, and looks so stylish, don't you think?" - might work you never know! Otherwise just be blunt - what's the worst that can happen? She takes offence and doesn't dance with you any more - if you don't like dancing with her anyway, it's no loss really. The best that can happen is that she changes her style and becomes a lovely dancer! I have occasionally told women to stop chucking themselves around in strange ways when it's a slow track, by emphasising the fact that it doesn't suit the music - but then I have a reputation for being outspoken to keep up! I do it nicely though I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    If I'm leading a girl (or a guy for that matter) who is bouncing I tend to tell them. I'll say something like "Did you realise you're bouncing up and down with the music, I hope you don't mind me saying so, but it makes you much more difficult to lead (follow), it would be easier if you tried smoothing things out a bit." Often they don't realise they're doing it, and some will improve, but one guy I danced with said to me "but I like bouncing", even though I'd said to him he was wrenching my arm every time he did it. I avoid him now if I see him, luckily he's moved house and changed venue!

As to the strange movements, perhaps it's better to emphasise the positive, and say something along the lines of "I really like it when girls smooth out all their movements and don't move around too much, it makes thing so much easier to lead, and looks so stylish, don't you think?" - might work you never know! Otherwise just be blunt - what's the worst that can happen? She takes offence and doesn't dance with you any more - if you don't like dancing with her anyway, it's no loss really. The best that can happen is that she changes her style and becomes a lovely dancer! I have occasionally told women to stop chucking themselves around in strange ways when it's a slow track, by emphasising the fact that it doesn't suit the music - but then I have a reputation for being outspoken to keep up! I do it nicely though I hope!

What a good approach x

cool i will endeavour to remember that

What a good approach x

cool i will endeavour to remember that

Thanks Trousers,

Good luck with it!

Thread Information