Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Clapping in Classes

Re: Clapping in Classes

Quote Originally Posted by BigDJiver
    Your views, and the way you argue them, is why I have reservations about the MJDA. There is a human tendency to climb the ladder to a lofty place, and then remove some of the rungs so others cannot easily follow.
    A poor, ambiguous rendition of my view.

There are some people that acquire knowledge, and then try to keep it to themselves, so that they have an advantage over others. I have no doubt there are some in MJ that are like that, I just do not know any of them, and I have no reason to believe that David, or anyone else on this forum is like that. The simple fact that they share their views on this forum is a strong indicator that we all have the best interests of MJ at heart.

The Oracle is a great loss to the forum, and I unresevedly apologise if I offended him, it was not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    I must have missed this bit last time around... Not to jump on a bandwagon, but have to say this comment is particularly uncalled for with respect to David (and Lily), who have given help and coaching to so many potential rivals (Will and Kate, Clayton and Janine, Phil and Yuko, Mary & Tony, me and Bryony, to name just a few).

Have to say, the quality of technical discussion has really gone down since we lost the Oracle... (And some others seem to have more-or-less stopped posting as well).

Dave

This is one example of what I was trying to say.

I regularly attend the beginners class. Every week I am reminded just how much of an ordeal the first few classes are for some people. For them being able to do the beginner class is deserving of not just applause, but some sort of cup and a gold framed certificate. 45 minutes earlier they had believed that this was totally beyond them.

It is too easy for the experienced to decry "clapping" and throw away that rung, or "thumbs" and throw away that one, but for every rung removed, some more beginners fall off, and nobody is ever sure which and why.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Are we really going to start this topic up again?

I am completely at a loss to understand how

Quote Originally Posted by BigDJiver
    Your views, and the way you argue them, is why I have reservations about the MJDA. There is a human tendency to climb the ladder to a lofty place, and then remove some of the rungs so others cannot easily follow.
    .. can be interpreted in any other way, than to imply that David takes such a stance, which he clearly does not.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    A poor, ambiguous rendition of my view.
    This is an example of where, IMO, the responsibility for ensuring clear communication lies with the communicator, not the reader.

I'm glad you've apologised to David. He and Lily are amongst the most generous-spirited people I know in the MJ world.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    There are some people that acquire knowledge, and then try to keep it to themselves, so that they have an advantage over others. I have no doubt there are some in MJ that are like that, I just do not know any of them
    I don't understand how anyone who knows no one like this can be qualified to comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    I am completely at a loss to understand how {quote} can be interpreted in any other way, than to imply that David takes such a stance, which he clearly does not.
    At the time, I read it as expressing concern that David (and others) might suffer from this particular human tendency, rather than as a proclamation that he definately does, or as a proclamation that he definately does, and does so deliberately. I can see how others might read it differently.

I am completely at a loss to understand how "then remove some of the rungs so others cannot easily follow." .. can be interpreted in any other way, than to imply that David takes such a stance, which he clearly does not.
    "So that" can be taken as the actual effect, or as the intended effect. In my "think no evil" mind I did not realise it could be taken the wrong way.

This is an example of where, IMO, the responsibility for ensuring clear communication lies with the communicator, not the reader.

<< snip >>
    << snip >>
    ... except when the reader is Clive Long, late, late on a Sunday night, tired and emotional with only a bottle (or two) of claret for comfort ....

Quote Originally Posted by bdjiver
    I regularly attend the beginners class. Every week I am reminded just how much of an ordeal the first few classes are for some people. For them being able to do the beginner class is deserving of not just applause, but some sort of cup and a gold framed certificate. 45 minutes earlier they had believed that this was totally beyond them.

Clive
    Last edited by Clive Long; 8th-March-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Thread Information