Thread: Post weekender blues!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post weekender blues!

The build up to any weekender is always full of excitement and anticipation, finding out who's going, what the classes are, who's dj'ing etc.

We finally arrive there on a high and it's funny how, when we're standing in the queue waiting to pick up our keys, we start looking round to see who we recognise and when we come across people we see every week at our local venues but rarely say hello to (I don't know why) but as we're away from home, we greet each other warmly!

Keys in hand, it's back to the chalet to study our programmes and it's then, that the texts start flooding in,
    Are u here yet?

What chalet Number are u?

Pop round for drink?

Who's in your chalet?

We need help! We're freezing! lol
    etc.

Catching up with old friends is fabulous!

No driving, so we can get a little tipsy!

We head over to the venue and the place is buzzing, I don't know about anyone else but I always feel slightly 'out of it' for the first hour!

So many new faces, it's like a kid being in a candy shop!

I always dance like I've got 2 left feet at the beginning of the first night but as the weekend progresses, I seem to hit a 'dancing high' that I can never achieve at home, I think its a mixture of being relaxed and tiredness but I just get better and better, i think I heard someone once call it 'being in ;THE ZONE' it's just a fantastic high and each dance is amazing! It usually starts to happen around 2am!

Sunday night and we've eaten rubbish all weekend and we're suffering a mixture of pain and pleasure, relaxed enough to be able to just sit back, chat and watch or simply be choosey about the track to dance to but when your back on your feet, the pain vanishes just long enough to finish the track!!

New friendships have been made, old friendships renewed and the feeling of walking back with them, at 6am, when the sun is rising, knowing that even the most revolting chalet bed, is going to feel wonderful, is sheer bliss!

Then you come home!

Anyone else suffer from Post weeekender blues?

If so what's the cure?????
    Last edited by Lory; 17th-November-2004 at 05:23 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Post weekender blues!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I always dance like I've got 2 left feet at the beginning of the first night...
    Me too!
    but as the weekend progresses, I seem to hit a 'dancing high' that I can never achieve at home, I think its a mixture of being relaxed and tiredness but I just get better and better, i think I heard someone once call it 'being in ;THE ZONE' it's just a fantastic high and each dance is amazing! It usually starts to happen around 2am!
    Probably don't get to quite that stage, but I do dance better as the night progresses.

Start planning for the next weekender!

Then you come home!

Oh dear, Lory. I think I'm actually quite glad to be home. I'm looking forward to a weekend of local freestyles, familiar faces, painting the bedroom, turning the central heating to the max and sleeping in my own comfy bed! And not having to pack anything.

I know what you mean about "THE ZONE" but I didn't spend much time in it at Camber, though I had lots of lovely dances. My experience is you never know when it's going to strike - usually when I least expect it. Trouble is with weekenders, anticipation runs so high there's a big risk of anticlimax. Glad you enjoyed it so much though!

Then you come home!
    After Southport I had to go straight from the airport to give a lecture! It was really inconvenient as meant I had to go to bed early on the Sun night, 4am!

I get blown away by the sheer number of quality of good dancers at said weekenders. Back at local venues you just dont get that consistant quality

The proposed reasons have been given on another thread

I have been to (well worked at) 11 weekenders in 2004 [would have been 12 but BB changed dates ] plus 4 all day events.

the good bits are meeting up other dancers, but soo many familiar faces turn up at each event - we really are a very small community sometimes.

I do not do the classes (to lazy or to tired) and cos I am trying to develop a different dance style I use the weekenders as practice time.

As I am DJ'ing/ Teaching they do get busy so I dont get the same buzz anymore, but I still really enjoy them
    LL

.....................what's the cure?????
    Not quite a cure more a 'band aid' JIVE MASTERS

What I mean is a great night that groups together most of use very soon after the weekender ............ then wait for the next one like BOGNOR or for some ROCK BOTTOMS

There are so many weekenders going around you wont have long to wait

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Blues Night at Chiswick is a good stop gap too.

It's not just the quality of the dancers I miss. It's the relaxed atmosphere in the blues room late on. Only happens with inspiring music, the sort that just doesn't get played on a freestyle night. Thanks to Lounge Lizard, Nigel , Nelson and my favourite Sheepman it got played , not too much repetition either

I'm hoping to snap out of the Blues at the Jive Masters

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    The Blues Night at Chiswick is a good stop gap too.
    When's that on?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

When's that on?
    Jan 22nd Chiswick Town Hall . There are two rooms and only a corridor separates them! (sometimes my thighs could not face those stairs at Camber )

There is a Blues room with LL and a.n.other I think, and Jive room with JB.

It's the only freestyle night that comes close to that weekender vibe IMHO.

ZW

Hoping loads of people will contradict me now and suggest other nights to look forward to.......go on you know you want to

I just look forward to a monday night massage to take the stiffness out of my poor overworked back. Ahh

There is a Blues room with LL and a.n.other I think, and Jive room with JB.
    Oopps...just remembered of course it's Nigel Anderson in the Blues Room. He and Nina do an all day blues workshop, and Simon Selmon too..

Sorry still suffering from lack of sleep

Jan 22nd Chiswick Town Hall .......
    To be used at the 'post blues' night for :

Jive Weekend at Bognor Regis on 7 - 10 January 2005,

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The build up to any weekender is always full of excitement /snip......./snip Then you come home!
    What a great description Lory! I can identify with every part of that run down!!

Have some rep

Commercial Operator

I always dance like I've got 2 left feet at the beginning of the first night but as the weekend progresses, I seem to hit a 'dancing high' that I can never achieve at home, I think its a mixture of being relaxed and tiredness but I just get better and better, i think I heard someone once call it 'being in ;THE ZONE' it's just a fantastic high and each dance is amazing! It usually starts to happen around 2am!
    Excellent description Lory, but it seems that you and I have slightly different priorities over a few things. Number one is food! I can't get through the exhaustion of such a weekend without some really decent nosh, so I delegated (? ) On Friday Joy cooked an excellent meal while we drank, caught up on gossip, drank, and ate. Saturday Wendy cooked an excellent meal while we drank, watched SCD, drank, gossiped, drank. (For the eating, we had to find a stand in for Andy, as he "was out of synchronisation" and had already had his, I wonder if Sue often finds that? ). Sunday we went to a fantastic nearby restaurant, to eat and drink, (lower priority for the drinking, as we had an important lesson to cope with.)

We also had different priorites when it came to the accommodation, we were snug and warm the whole time You should have come round...

And Sunday night is not a time to be too choosy about the tracks, after all, TIME IS FAST RUNNING OUT!!!

I agree about being "in the zone", and it rarely happens before 2 a.m. but it is also music and partner dependent (and maybe the state of intoxication, so as to make me think I'm brilliant?) Once the zone arrives, keeping going to 6 a.m. is no problem, provided the partners don't all desert me

I had a great time at Camber, and was pleased to be able to stand in and do a set which seemed to go down well. The post w/e blues started rapidly the next morning, after less than 3 hours sleep, coming down with a cold, and finding our car battery completely dead, I think we were the last ones off the site
    For me, the cure starts with about 16 hours sleep, and then resume the search for the "zone" I hope I find it by Saturday!

Greg
    Last edited by Sheepman; 18th-November-2004 at 03:00 PM.

I have done three weekenders now. The two at Bognor I had very happy memories of them. The first one I went to in 2003 - I thought was fab, it actually was a huge confidence booster.

When we did this years one in January, I was well known amongst you all, so it was a lot more fun.

Also at Bognor I was also sharing with some mates, so we had a real laugh in between the sessions.

I found Camber in 2003 hard, and it also wasn't the best cos I was effectively by myself, although there were people I knew on the floor. For some reason I find going down to these weekends alone difficult.

I was also sharing a challet with some guys who actually were really pleasant. But whenever you share with somebody you have never met, I am concerned about upsetting them - I guess I am quite sensitive deep down.

That's probably why I didn't return there this year.

As for post weekend blues, it only happens if I had a bad nights dancing. For some reason I felt unhappy after Stompin in Brighton 2003 - in contrast the Rebel Yell 2004 it was a stormer.

What I have enjoyed most though is meeting all of you, I hope to meet some more of you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Once the zone arrives, keeping going to 6 a.m. is no problem...
    Not sure if I get into 'the zone' but I get to some point, (somewhere about 2am too) in the blues room, where I'm quite able to stay till 6am. I was a little surprised at this, thought I would fade but I didn't and it was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon L
    What I have enjoyed most though is meeting all of you, I hope to meet some more of you soon.
    I agree that meeting other forumites has been a fab part of weekenders. While it was great being there with a crowd from NI, I found as the nights progressed I ended up with other forumites in the blues room while the NI ones headed to bed at the ridiculously early times of 2am, 3am etc! Also looking forward to meeting some more forumites at Bognor

Thread Information