Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: See and be seen

Re: See and be seen

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    I know nobody cycles at sea but if they did you'd think they were a buoy if they flashed and the port side of a boat if they didn't.
    I'm sure I heard somewhere that the crew of large vessels such as tankers use bikes or even mopeds to get around.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    and should at ALL times (even during daylight hours) be made to wear hi viz clothing with reflector strips.
    Fine - if we apply a similar rule to cars. It's well-known that some colours are safer than others (e.g. this study highlighted in New Scientist. It's cars who cause most accidents, after all.

Another interesting thing is that legislating for cyclist safety tends, in the overall picture of public health, to be counter-productive. If you were to pass a law saying that all cyclists have to wear hi-viz clothing at all times, then you'd get less children out cycling. Therefore you get less cyclists eventually, and that contributes to the health problems caused by kids sitting in their rooms playing their X-boxes all day...

Agree with you about lights though

Commercial Operator

In some European countries,e.g. Sweden, cars have to have lights on all the time. Thats why Volvos & Saabs always have side lights on (I'm reliably informed). i just think that as there is far more traffic on the roads these days, there is a need for more safety measures to protect all road users.

Commercial Operator

In some European countries,e.g. Sweden, cars have to have lights on all the time. Thats why Volvos & Saabs always have side lights on (I'm reliably informed). i just think that as there is far more traffic on the roads these days, there is a need for more safety measures to protect all road users.
    I remember in the '70s (yes, I'm that old) all Volvos had their side-lights permanently on. The story was that they were that way for Sweden and they couldn't change them for export. I remember reading that this was rubbish as they managed to change the side of the steering and pedals without too much trouble.

On thing I noticed on Monday night as I walked around Worthing was the nuumber of cyclists on the pavement. I suppose that's a safer place for them but it didn't feel at all safe for me with people whizzing past on their bikes.

Highway code for cyclists (appropriate use of light clothing in cyclists is already part of the highway code)

Are your cycle lights legal? (this answers Lindsay's question about flashing lights and the law - which is, from this article, an ass)

I remember in the '70s (yes, I'm that old) all Volvos had their side-lights permanently on. The story was that they were that way for Sweden and they couldn't change them for export. I remember reading that this was rubbish as they managed to change the side of the steering and pedals without too much trouble.
    It's true, the law in Sweden requires all vehicles to use daylight running lights, ie the side lights. Export SAABs have the option to turn off the lights. Export Volvos didn't. We have to take our work Volvos to the Volvo dealer to have the light switch modified so we can turn the sidelights off.

When I lived in Germany, cyclists were expected to obey the law. In fact in Germany they don't have a Highway Code, there is just the law. If a cyclist is done for drunk-in-charge on a pushbike (and they are!), the points/ban will be taken from their driving licence if they have one! The same with riding without lights.
    In London the cyclists frequently ride without lights, in dark clothing and totally ignore traffic lights and zebra crossings. I've nearly been run down on a crossing on a number of occasions. I've had a few close shaves with them jumping lights when I've been driving too.They are then the first to complain if a car doesn't see them.
    With regard to lighrts, part of the problem is that cycle shops often don't actually sell proper lights, only the LED variety. These can be set to steady, or flashing. The flashing lights are actually harder to spot and make judging distance difficult. The other thing is that people attach them to clothing rather than the bike, so the lights are at funny angles. It would help if people change the batteries when they run down as well.
    The Highway Code applies equally to drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders, in fact any and everybody on the Highway. Pity people don't read it more often.

A grumpy R-K

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    In Germany, if a cyclist is done for drunk-in-charge on a pushbike (and they are!), the points/ban will be taken from their driving licence if they have one!
    The same in the UK: being drunk in charge of a bike can put points on your driving license. That said, I agree that Germany handles traffic issues better. For a start, they have many more cycle paths.

cycle shops often don't actually sell proper lights, only the LED variety. These can be set to steady, or flashing. The flashing lights are actually harder to spot and make judging distance difficult.
    Personally I don't care what technology lights use, as long as they provide lots of light!
    Flashing lights are, according to the research I've read (eg, see below) more attention-getting than solid lights, and it is for that reason that cyclists use them.
    http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29...oc/48inf02.pdf
    Last edited by MartinHarper; 18th-November-2004 at 05:51 PM.

In London the cyclists frequently ride without lights, in dark clothing and totally ignore traffic lights and zebra crossing
    Ooohh that makes me mad too !

ZW

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Ooohh that makes me mad too !

ZW
    Not so much a Zebra Crossing then as a cross Zebra

R-K x

It a dull thought, but its not the vehicle that causes the problem. Its the person in control. There's good and bad of every variety. Can I start a thread on......say black BMW's, taxi's maybe, how about the good old company rep.

What I want is respect for me as a road user, no matter what I happen to be driving.

There was an experiment done where a cyclist dressed "dark" with lights. Went on his commute and kept a record or incedents.
    Then he dressed Florry, and did the trips again.
    The two periods showed little difference in the consideration given by motorists.
    However on the final day of the trial no-one went near him. With special permission he did the journy's dressd as a policeman.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    I

What I want is respect for me as a road user, no matter what I happen to be driving.
    T
    Good point baldrick, but to be respected you have to give respect also. To be fair, the instances where motor vehicles drive on the pavement to avoid traffic lights is considerably less than that of cyclists. Also on dark nights motor vehicle drivers ( unless they forget initially to switch them on) drive with lights on. Agreed, wearing florry gear might not get you any more respect, but it would remove the "I didn't see him/her" excuse if you get knocked off your bike.

Commercial Operator

Think someone misunderstood my last post. I didn't think it was particularly inflamatory. Maybe they should have read the post before negrepping it....anonymously........

Commercial Operator

Think someone misunderstood my last post. I didn't think it was particularly inflamatory. Maybe they should have read the post before negrepping it....anonymously........
    Pay your £15 to Franck and you can see who's repped you

There was an experiment done where a cyclist dressed "dark" with lights. Went on his commute and kept a record or incedents.
    Then he dressed Florry, and did the trips again.
    The two periods showed little difference in the consideration given by motorists.
    However on the final day of the trial no-one went near him. With special permission he did the journy's dressd as a policeman.
    I rode a motorbike all year round for 8 years .

Mostly I was wearing a high viz yellow waistcoat with reflective strips, ie. looking a little like a police motorcyclist. I often noticed cars dramatically slowing down to observe the speed limit, not so when I wore black leathers tho.

Then there was the time I wore a skirt ....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    not so when I wore black leathers tho.
    WOW! The thought of ZW in black leather has brightened up my day

Commercial Operator

WOW! The thought of ZW in black leather has brightened up my day
    The thought of ZW on a motorbike ...in a skirt....has brightened up my whole week......

The thought of ZW on a motorbike ...in a skirt....has brightened up my whole week......
    Is this a private club, or can I join.

Good point baldrick, but to be respected you have to give respect also. To be fair, the instances where motor vehicles drive on the pavement to avoid traffic lights is considerably less than that of cyclists. Also on dark nights motor vehicle drivers ( unless they forget initially to switch them on) drive with lights on. Agreed, wearing florry gear might not get you any more respect, but it would remove the "I didn't see him/her" excuse if you get knocked off your bike.
    Couldn't agree more, but I don't ride on the pavement. I wait for green traffic lights before setting off and so on. I stick to the rules, and it makes me mad when others don't. Back to the enforcement issue. No-one expects to be caught so why bother, their journy is obviously so much more important than anybody elses.
    Bit like them that undertake on the motorway, or is that off thread.

Commercial Operator

Couldn't agree more, but I don't ride on the pavement. I wait for green traffic lights before setting off and so on. I stick to the rules, and it makes me mad when others don't.
    Good point baldrick. I know that a lot of cyclists do stick to the rules. i suppose when you think of it, most drivers flaunt the highway code in some way when they are driving. I drive an LGV (HGV) and I always drive outside the cycle lanes, but it annoys me when other drivers try to cut inside me, even though the gap is hardly big enough It also annoys me when people cut accross behind me when I am reversing, ( cars, cyclists and pedestrians)despite reverse lights, flashing beacon and reverse alarm being on. Fortunately all our vehicles have rear cameras on them.
    I suppose we should all take a look at the way we use the road, regardless of what type of vehicle we drive, and show more consideration for other road users.

I suppose we should all take a look at the way we use the road, regardless of what type of vehicle we drive, and show more consideration for other road users.
    With you all the way on that

Thread Information