Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raunch Factor

Re: Re: Raunch Factor

Originally posted by Franck
    I agree though, that if you are crotch to crotch, then you are not doing blues (or even dancing ).

Franck.
    How about mans crotch to ladys backside then? There is a move which I can't remember the name of it but my name for it is "The Pelvic Thrust!". I'm not joking it was taught on a Ceroc dirty dancing workshop. Good fun too

The Oracle
    Originally posted by DavidB
    I'm not a great fan of blues
    Q. What happens if you play blues music backwards?
    A. Your wife returns to you, your dog comes back to life, and you get out of prison.

---------------------------------

HOW TO SING THE BLUES

1. Most blues begin "woke up this morning . . . ."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line.

I got a good woman--
    with the meanest dog in town.

3. Blues are simple. After you have the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes. Sort of.

Got a good woman
    with the meanest dog in town.
    He got teeth like Margaret Thatcher
    and he weighs about 500 pounds.

4. The blues are not about limitless choice.

5. Blues cars are Chevys and Cadillacs. Other acceptable blues transportation are a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. "Walkin'" plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does "fixin' to die."

6. Teenagers can't sing the blues. Adults sing the blues. Blues adulthood means old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. You can have the blues in New York City, but not in Brooklyn or Queens. Hard times in Vermont or North Dakota are just a depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City are still the best places to have the blues

8. The following colors do not belong in the blues:
    a. violet
    b. beige
    c. mauve
    d. taupe

9. You can't have the blues in an office or a shopping mall, because the lighting is all wrong.

10. Good places for the Blues:
    a. the highway
    b. the jail house
    c. the empty bed

Bad places:
    a. Nordstrom's
    b. Gallery openings
    c. Weekend in the Hamptons

11. No one will believe it's the blues if you wear a suit, unless you happen to be an old black man.

12. Do you have the right to sing the blues?

Yes, if:
    a. your first name is a southern state--like Georgia
    b. you're blind
    c. you shot a man in Memphis.
    d. you can't be satisfied.

No, if:
    a. you once were blind but now can see.
    b. you're deaf
    c. you have a trust fund.

13. Neither Julio Iglesias nor Barbra Streisand can sing the blues.

14. If you ask for water and baby gives you gasoline, it's the blues.
    Other blues beverages are:
    a. wine
    b. Irish whiskey
    c. muddy water

Blues beverages are NOT:
    a. Any mixed drink, especially those with a straw
    b. Any wine kosher for Passover
    c. Yoo Hoo (all flavors)
    d. Any drink with an umbrella in it

15. If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is a great blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse, or being denied treatment in an emergency room. It is not a blues death, if you die during a liposuction treatment or through complications with rhinoplasty.

16. Some Blues names for Women:
    a. Sadie
    b. Big Mama
    c. Bessie

17. Some Blues Names for Men:
    a. Joe
    b. Willie
    c. Little Willie
    d. Lightning

Persons with names like Chad, Skippy, Sidney, Sierra, Sequoia, or Tiffany will not be permitted to sing the blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

17B. Other Blues Names (Starter Kit)
    a. Name of Physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Asthmatic)
    b. First name (see above) or name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi)
    c. Last Name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)
    Feel free to mix and match.

David

I got a good man
    And his name is Joe
    He shot a man in Memphis
    Now he's on death row.

Now i'm here all alone,
    Whiskey going to my head.
    Can't get no satisfaction cause i got an empty bed

I got the blues baby baby....I got the 'missing my man' blues.

Woke up this morning,
    Went walkin' up the highway.
    And even though i'm blind
    I found New York City.

I got me a dog,
    The meanest one in town.
    But my jealous lover shot us both and now we're in the ground

I got the blues baby baby.....I got the 'six feet under' blues.

So does she have the right to sing the blues??

filthycute x x

The Pussie- Seekness Blues!!!!

The Pussie Seekness Blues!!!!

Well Eh'm sitting here in Dundee,
    Eh got the pussie-seekness Blues
    Oh Eh'm sitting herein Dundee,
    Eh got the pussie seekness Blues.
    'cos meh dog has got the rabies,
    An' he's chew'd meh dancing shoes.

( To be sung with a Dundee accent!!!!!)
    Translate 'Pussie-seekness ' as extremely fed up!!

Heather

hope this is not getting to far off the track wendy and probebly does not have much to do with your origional question - sorry.
    If I want to do a slow, sultry dance, I'd do rumba or West Coast Swing, (or tango if I ever get round to learning it.)

Dancing is described as the vertical expression of horizontal desire. That does not translate into sex while standing up.

(Purely my own opinion. As usual I would expect to be in the minority. And if people enjoy doing it, I'm not going to stop them.)

David
    I find it a shame that people can look down on blues dancing and describe it merely as crotch grinding. Dancing is about communication, passion and many other things - blues is no more sexually orientated than real latin Salsa,Rumba or Tango. Good dancers of these styles exude sexuality and passion in their steps, very often in a far more provocative manner than in blues.
    Why is it o.k for people to dance sensously in one style and not another? is it because Blues is still a reliatively new form of dancing could it be suffering form some form of snobbery?

I was Rumba class a few years where a mature gentleman - very experienced and very good at rumba described the Rumba as the nearest thing to sex but without the complications. (maybe he liked it standing up.)

you may not be in a minority David, it has already been mentioned on this thread that this dance style is not for everyone for several different reasons and that should be respected.Its as well we are all different and have a variety of opionions - it makes the world a more interesting place

But in the defense of blues dancing - like any dance style it takes time and effort to learn the moves, gain the confidence and importantly use the correct etiquette so it is not misinterpreted wrongly between the dance partners or by others watching.
    Despite what people may think, the dance itself is not about being locked up with each other for the whole song - there are many opportunities for the partners to be apart to interpret the music - probably even further away than some ceroc moves.

At the begining of lessons ( particulary beginners) there is quite a lot of time spent concentrating on the starting position and the listening to the music to sink into the flow of the slower beat - maybe this gives the impression that this is all the dance consisits of which is not really the case - well unless its 3am and you are still dancing but dont really have enough energy to anything else but hold each other up and make tiny little steps!!.

However it is recognised dance style with its own competition category.

Perhaps I am hyperly sensitive and that has been said before but I always think it is a shame that people can be negative about something when they have never had the desire or time to really find out what is actually going on and experience it.

On a even lighter note I think, in my humble opionion that if people really think blues dancing is like sex standing up - or like watching people having sex standing up, they are either underestimating sex or overestimating the blues dance.- its nothing like it! ......- its only a warm up well, depending on who you are dancing it with of course.......

as usual excuse the spelling.

Fran

Re: The Pussie- Seekness Blues!!!!

well go girls!!! what a talented pair you are!!!
    ( To be sung with a Dundee accent!!!!!)
    Translate 'Pussie-seekness ' as extremely fed up!!

Heather
    ps I am really glad you did the translation bit heather - I thought it was something else!!!!!!

see you both soon

fran

Hiya Fran

Ok we'll sing the blues...you dance them

filthycute x x

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Fran
    I find it a shame that people can look down on blues dancing and describe it merely as crotch grinding.
    ~SNIP~
    Why is it o.k for people to dance sensously in one style and not another? is it because Blues is still a reliatively new form of dancing could it be suffering form some form of snobbery?
    Hiya, Fran, I am sorry if you feel Blues is under attack! I don't think that was the case.
    What you are describing above is the perception of Blues. I don't think it is snobbery, but lack of education / knowledge.
    All people see (well that's not true, all people remember seeing ) is a couple dancing very close, and in a very sexual manner!
    As you point out, this is a mis-conception, and Blues, executed properly will feel no more sexual than many other dances, possibly less! However, it will still look sexy / sexual.
    At the beginning of lessons ( particulary beginners) there is quite a lot of time spent concentrating on the starting position and the listening to the music to sink into the flow of the slower beat
    This sounds really good, I believe Ceroc (and other dances) could learn a lot from that approach!
    I would love to spend more time experimenting with music and finding beats / under-currents to dance to... and I agree, Blues is great for developing music interpretation skills - because the music is slower, you have to improvise style during the beats!
    its nothing like it! ......- its only a warm up well, depending on who you are dancing it with of course.......
    Ah, Fran, you were doing so well telling us that Blues wasn't all about sex, and then you just blew it with the above

Franck.

P.S. I might take you aside next time I see you, to pick up a few tips

Blog Entries

Talking

Originally posted by filthycute
    ~snip~
    Now i'm here all alone,
    Whiskey going to my head.
    Can't get no satisfaction cause i got an empty bed
    ~snip~
    I got the blues baby baby....I got the 'missing my man' blues.
    ~snip~

Wow, excellent fc!
    I think you have real talent, and we should definitely put it to music... Maybe Heather could do the vocals too
    This has the potential to knock Vem vet etc... off the top place at Ceroc clubs!

I selected my favourite highlights above

Must get a glass of bourbon and join in the singing...

Franck.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by filthycute
    I (a,min)got a good man
    And his (G, maj) name is Joe
    He (e,min) shot a man in Memphis
    Now he's (F) on death (C) row.

Now i'm (a) here all alone,
    Whiskey (G) going to my head.
    Can't (e) get no satisfaction cause i (G) got an empty (D)bed

I got the (C)blues baby baby....I got the (D)'missing my man' (e)blues.

Woke up this morning,
    Went walkin' up the highway.
    And even though i'm blind
    I found New York City.

I got me a dog,
    The meanest one in town.
    But my jealous lover shot us both and now we're in the ground

I got the blues baby baby.....I got the 'six feet under' blues.

filthycute x x
    Chord structure should work for second stanzi, also. Look forward to hearing it @ the 10th Ann... party!!

Godamit, I need to get out more often.

Commercial Operator

chord boxes.

Should've said...

(small) = minor chord.
    (CAPS)= major chord.

Feel free to add any 7ths/9ths you wish. C chord has to be C chord tho, not C add9!!

The Oracle
    It has nothing to do with me "looking down" on blues. I just don't have any burning desire to learn it. My reasons are the same as why anybody else likes or dislikes a particular dance - the music and the style. I've heard exactly the same arguments for and against Lindy, Ceroc, Salsa, Ballroom, and West Coast Swing. Blues isn't any different - some people will love it, most won't mind, and some will hate it.

I don't like the music enough to listen to too much of it, or learn a new dance to do to it. I have heard a lot of blues, I've been to blues clubs and I've seen blues bands. I've done 2 cabaret routines to blues songs, and one of my favourite tracks of all time is a blues song. But I find most of the slower blues music doesn't inspire me, or make me feel like dancing. I just find it depressing.

I find little in the dance that appeals to me (and I have seen quite a lot, including Nigel & Nina, and Roger & Ann.) I haven't seen any moves I would particularly like to learn. I haven't seen any leads or techniques that open up new ideas. I don't like drops etc. I just don't think it suits me.

The only thing different about blues (compared to most dances) is that it can make some people uncomfortable - either dancing it or watching it.

David

B.T.C.
    Blues isn't any different - some people will love it, most won't mind, and some will hate it.

The only thing different about blues (compared to most dances) is that it can make some people uncomfortable - either dancing it or watching it.
    And you're quite right David. And it's great to have the variety :p I would like ot do some lindy and Boogie Woogie but my legs won't move that quickly !!!!!!!

But I think one misconception - especially for those who don't know much about the style is the very name - 'Blues'. I really enjoy Blues music but the music we dance to is generally slow and not really 'true' Blues eg Vem Vet is great to blues to but it's hardly what anyone would call a blues record.

I think the key is that it's a style that allows people to interpret a song much more than if you're going hell for leather through a fast track. But as you suggested ( like other dance styles) it can look pretty naff when done badly and a couple are swaying about locked together for 3 minutes with straight backs and legs !

Many ceroc moves can be used for blues - as Nigel, Nina, Roger and Anne have proved and there's no need to stay that close for the whole track. The really wonderful thing for the woman in particualr is that with a slower song and often more breaks - she can improvise much more and ther's time to really play to the song.

But......................... no-one yet made any effort to answer Wendy's point about if and why there's a difference between dancers on the west and dancers elsewhere !!!!

ps...............woudl also really liek to Tango David...... maybe one day

Ah, Fran, you were doing so well telling us that Blues wasn't all about sex, and then you just blew it with the above

Franck.

P.S. I might take you aside next time I see you, to pick up a few tips
    ....................woops!! - I better had not add anything else or I will get myself into deeper water,

In my defense - would'nt like to give the wrong impression I would like to state those of you who know me, know who I regulary blues with and that kind of explains things .

take care
    Fran - who is thinking that perhaps I should not have added the humour bit !!!!!! - but dancing is meant to be fun!

Happy bluesing everyone who wants to.

Re: chord boxes.

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    Should've said...

(small) = minor chord.
    (CAPS)= major chord.

Feel free to add any 7ths/9ths you wish. C chord has to be C chord tho, not C add9!!
    bet people did'nt know you are a real musician

all these talented people

see you on the 23rd if I dont see you before!!

fran

Commercial Operator
    If the truth were told, we just mime but do great dance routines!!

Looking forward to seeing you on 23rd. You poor, poor girl. A dance beckons.

B.T.C.
    With all this talk of Blues and close moves.....and dancing like a girl none of us have really tried to answer Wendy's initial question which was about 'raunchy' moves - not close - not Blues but raunchy !!

Could you define raunchy Wendy ( I mean can you define the word - not that Wendy is raunchy !! )

Are you Glasgow men less raunchy than us east coasters ???

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    I (a,min)got a good man
    And his (G, maj) name is Joe
    He (e,min) shot a man in Memphis
    Now he's (F) on death (C) row.
    Yeah CJ,
    I like it!

Could you confirm that the C after death, is not meant to be a G?
    When trying it out, the C sounded a bit too cheerful for the tone of the song

Likely we are singing 2 very different versions though... Maybe we should bring a guitar to the next night and have a bash!

Franck.

B.T.C.
    Yeah CJ,
    I like it!

Likely we are singing 2 very different versions though... Maybe we should bring a guitar to the next night and have a bash!

Franck.
    mmmmmmmmmmm do we get discount then ?

One song.........two versions - at the same time !!!!! Sing it in Franch Franck and it'll sound like one of those songs you play ( and no-one can dance to :p ).

Can't wait ( now that's sarcastic!!!)

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Bill
    mmmmmmmmmmm do we get discount then ?

One song.........two versions - at the same time !!!!! Sing it in Franch Franck and it'll sound like one of those songs you play ( and no-one can dance to :p ).

Can't wait ( now that's sarcastic!!!)
    hehe, that's more like it Bill
    No discount, and it will be by selective admission only.
    Re. that French song, I'll make sure I don't play it again when you're around, though I might try another French track next time, to see if it works for you!

Franck.

Thread Information