Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Playing to the crowd

Re: Playing to the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    ... As DavidB says... being in the same round as a 'comedy act' should be seen as a good thing, as you can be pretty sure the judges are going to give them a cursory look over and then watch the 'proper' dancers - this gives you more judge attention which is surely a good thing. So to suggest 'the showboaters will win' is ridiculous...
    I have been to a competition where the "showboaters" got through round 1, and were blown away by the standard of dancing in the other rounds. They discussed dropping the comedy, and going head-to-head on dance, but decided that their cause was probably lost anyway, and continued with the comedy in the finals. They won. One pair of "dancers" were distraught, she was in tears. She, and everybody else, knew that on another day their performance would have been worthy of a first prize.

As for me, seeing the final four going head-to-head, each superb, each with a completely different style, is what MJ is about, not prizes, not tears.

And I would have voted like the judges.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I have been to a competition where the "showboaters" got through round 1, and were blown away by the standard of dancing in the other rounds. They discussed dropping the comedy, and going head-to-head on dance, but decided that their cause was probably lost anyway, and continued with the comedy in the finals. They won. One pair of "dancers" were distraught, she was in tears. She, and everybody else, knew that on another day their performance would have been worthy of a first prize.

As for me, seeing the final four going head-to-head, each superb, each with a completely different style, is what MJ is about, not prizes, not tears.

And I would have voted like the judges.
    The judges reckoned they were the best then, which is the only thing that matters in a competition. I find myself agreeing with most judging decisions, but Ive often heard others complain when they dont get to where they think they should (or far more often, other people watching who complain about bad judging, primarily due to their biased view of a particular couple). Its a natural reactionary response to what can be an intense experience - competitions are stressful but looking for excuses beyond your own performance is not a positive thing to do in my opinion. Just do better next time

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDr
    Consider the hypothetical example a set of competitors decide to lapdance the judges during their entrance for 5 mins or so, while half the competitors are standing around waiting to dance,
    As long as it is the female half of the competitors, why does it have to be hypothetical?
    As long as it is the female half of the competitors, why does it have to be hypothetical?
    If you allow it for one couple, you have to allow it for all of them -- 5 mins. apiece * no of competitors, could take quite a while. Especially since the first set of competitors called would be standing around potentially for a long time.

For the sake of clarity -- perhaps a limit to having all competitors -- ready to be presented on the floor -- should be set, e.g. 30-60 secs.

Otherwise, marked down automatically?

SpinDr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Consider the hypothetical example a set of competitors decide to lapdance the judges during their entrance for 5 mins or so, while half the competitors are standing around waiting to dance, and the other half are waiting to be called on to the floor?
    Whilst the hypothetical compaire introduces the waiting hypothetical dancers... then the hypothetical DJ starts playing the hypothetical competition track for those hypothetical dancers who aren't hypothetically lap dancing. Who then proceed to be marked by those hypothetical judges who aren't distracted by the hypothetical lap dancers, and are awarded better marks, because the hypothetical lap dancers are marked down for too little MJ content?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Whilst the hypothetical compaire introduces the waiting hypothetical dancers... then the hypothetical DJ starts playing the hypothetical competition track for those hypothetical dancers who aren't hypothetically lap dancing. Who then proceed to be marked by those hypothetical judges who aren't distracted by the hypothetical lap dancers, and are awarded better marks, because the hypothetical lap dancers are marked down for too little MJ content?
    indeed, I totally agree, hypothetically speaking of course

Elaine

Commercial Operator

because the hypothetical lap dancers are marked down for too little MJ content?
    Maybe some of those hypothetical lap dancers haven't got a partner to practice MJ with and are hypothetically available for hypothetical dates - with imaginary girlfriends

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    If you allow it for one couple, you have to allow it for all of them -- 5 mins. apiece * no of competitors, could take quite a while. Especially since the first set of competitors called would be standing around potentially for a long time.

For the sake of clarity -- perhaps a limit to having all competitors -- ready to be presented on the floor -- should be set, e.g. 30-60 secs.

Otherwise, marked down automatically?

SpinDr.
    This is only a problem if the competition organisers and MC allow it to be. They have the choice of whether to wait for one couple to come onto the floor before calling another, or to call all the numbers at once and let the competitors make their own way onto the floor.

If you are a competitor stood on the floor waiting to dance/waiting to come onto the floor, and getting distracted by other people's entrances, talk to the competition organisers and get something done about it, don't winge about it in public. If a couple isn't on the floor and ready to dance by the time the music starts, that's their problem, not yours.

Rob C, this forum is for people to discuss what they want and if that means disagreeing with something you do, that does not mean that they are 'whingers'. Similarly, Andy McG, just because I personally don't like the way some people come onto the dance floor....that doesn't mean I'm 'suggesting' they should be prevented from doing it or are cheats, as ChrisA has already said...

Just wanted to clear that up.

Flame away.

JB x x

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    Rob C, this forum is for people to discuss what they want and if that means disagreeing with something you do, that does not mean that they are 'whingers'. Similarly, Andy McG, just because I personally don't like the way some people come onto the dance floor....that doesn't mean I'm 'suggesting' they should be prevented from doing it or are cheats, as ChrisA has already said...
    Fair enough. It's just the way that some people 'discuss what they want', it starts sounding like a scratched record. If I find people saying the same thing time and time again, I have to ask whether these people really do have any interest in changing things and have taken the time to approach the relevant organisers, or if they simply enjoy complaining and like the sound of their own voice ?

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    Fair enough. It's just the way that some people 'discuss what they want', it starts sounding like a scratched record. If I find people saying the same thing time and time again, I have to ask whether these people really do have any interest in changing things and have taken the time to approach the relevant organisers, or if they simply enjoy complaining and like the sound of their own voice ?
    can't say fairer than that

Thread Information