Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Role Reversal

Role Reversal

With all the talk of Bill promising DS a dance it got me thinking. Do guys ever get the urge to follow?
    I can dance a few man moves...enough to get me through a couple of tracks...nothing special, and sometimes i'll just feel like asking Heather or Denise to dance with me. It's a nice change sometimes doing what i want to do. Although of course my variety is limited to beginners and a couple of intermediate, but throw in a couple of improvisations and it's good fun
    I think it's been mentioned some where before about women dance with a lot of guys, therefore dancing a lot of different moves. Whereas guys are restricted to their own resources and abilities. So Bill, Franck, DS, guys.......Do you ever feel like, "I can't be arsed thinking/brain is dead/fed up dancing these moves over and over, etc," and just want someone else to do all the work and check out the moves that they have??
    BTW I don't mean "Do you think about dancing with other guys?" ...thats too creepy I know there's a few women out there who dance great 'man' who would be more than happy to lead a guy

filthycute x x

Actually did this to Sherwin on Wednesday. We did a role reversal for a move so i could help show him how it was led. It's a great way to learn from each other.

Commercial Operator
    Maybe it's a hair thing, but........

Was led for a dance on Wed. @ Glasgow.

Not unpleasant though was hard work. Did enjoy it and it was easier for me to follow my partner when she does the man bit than it is for me to follow her when she's doing the "woman" bit!!!

Yeah, would do it again. Dance with a man? Only if he asked nicely!!

The Oracle
    I've only followed a couple of times. I find myself doing exactly what I don't want to do - ie thinking "I'm being led into a yoyo, so lets do a yoyo". I find it hard to know how much tension to give in my arm. At least in Ceroc I don't have to think about what foot to start with.

Leading other men is strange at first, but if you ever take private lessons with a male teacher, you don't have the option. I don't usually mind doing it, but I don't hold back. I will change the moves, do completely non-standard moves, play with the timing, and invite my partner to improvise. If anything, I would tend to be less forgiving than I would with a lady - for example he would get several chances to improvise even if he didn't appreciate the first one. Men (especially teachers) learn to follow to improve their dancing - they're not going to improve by just doing a first move and a yoyo.

David

Following...

For all my postings on leading and following, I haven't seriously considered it. Might be interesting, from a curiosity point of view - may also help comprehension of what it should 'feel' like
    to be led.
    Do I ever get the urge to be led? Not really; I'm a control freak.
    I would probably have to do it with my eyes closed so that I didn't try to anticipate the moves. Dunno - but if someone asked me to dance as the follower, I would give it a go.

Just missed Rocky Horror, so the bask and fish-nets will have to stay in the closet I'm afraid. (just doesnÕt look as good with short hair...Eugh! just got a mental image of Curtain as Frankenfurter! )

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Role Reversal

Originally posted by filthycute
    So Bill, Franck, DS, guys.......Do you ever feel like, "I can't be arsed thinking/brain is dead/fed up dancing these moves over and over, etc," and just want someone else to do all the work and check out the moves that they have??
    BTW I don't mean "Do you think about dancing with other guys?" ...thats too creepy I know there's a few women out there who dance great 'man' who would be more than happy to lead a guy
    Yeah, I think following is great fun, but as DavidB says, I find it hard to follow properly, ie I anticipate and assume things
    All in all, I am not a very good follower.
    As part of the Ceroc teacher training, we learn to dance both sides of every move, and it is really good... I sometimes wish men did not have such hang-ups about dancing with other men (or being led), it does make a huge difference to your dancing and your understanding of Leading/following...
    Actually did this to Sherwin on Wednesday. We did a role reversal for a move so i could help show him how it was led. It's a great way to learn from each other.
    Funny that, I was having a dance with Sherwin myself on Saturday, and he was following very well!
    The only problem was when he started leading, and I refused to follow, giving him concussion in the process :sorry

Franck.

Re: Re: Role Reversal

Originally posted by Franck
    Funny that, I was having a dance with Sherwin myself on Saturday, and he was following very well!
    The only problem was when he started leading, and I refused to follow, giving him concussion in the process :sorry
    Yeah he's quite good at it actually....but what do you expect when he dances with me so much
    Ah my little prodigy....i trained him well hahaha

filthycute x x

B.T.C.

Re: Role Reversal

Originally posted by filthycute
    With all the talk of Bill promising DS a dance it got me thinking. Do guys ever get the urge to follow?
    Not so much an urge........more the opportunity for some fun ! I've been led by Avril, big Derek ( in my red shoes !!) and a couple of times by Scot doing double trouble. It took a while but if the lead is good I can just about follow but do still make a lot of mistakes
    :sorry
    I know there's a few women out there who dance great 'man' who would be more than happy to lead a guy
    And don't we just know it !!!!!!!!!
    Well FC - you said you might be up in Aberdeen next week so I'll expect a dance and you can lead ( properly I mean ) and I'll do my best to follow Look forward to it.

But as Franck points out it's a very good opportunity for men to learn what a good lead is/should be and can really improve your style and lead. It may feel odd at first ( we are so uptight about this aren't we - yet in S America the 'macho' men think nothing of learning to salsa or tango together !)

Odd eh !!!???

I dance the lady moves alot but with a lady doing the man moves. I find it is a really good laugh being led, and makes a change not to have to think!. When one of my female teachers leads and I follow she puts me into all sorts of moves including Seducers, and I have to say the first seducer I was put into kept a smile on my face for a week. Cheers Kel.

I now appreciate what moves feel nice from the ladys point of view and how many spins (take note Sharon after yesterday! ) you can do before getting giddy. Also my spinning has improved so much by doing the lady moves since nearly every move has a spin in it.

Ever tried swapping leaders during a song. What a hoot. I did it to Sharon yesterday and it took a second for her to realise. :sorry

Previously, I had followed a couple of times with a teacher to learn a move, but we had a short section in our team cabaret routine where we reversed roles. I was pretty awful at it, as I've never learned how to spin properly (well, you don't really have to as a leader, and I've certainly got enough other style points to improve before this is going to make a big difference!). However, it did make me realise how useful it would be to do this occasionally.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem dancing with a man (okay, seducers and combs might be awkward ), and in fact it might be a little easier than being led by a woman, as most women are shorter than I am.

However, to answer the original point, I don't have any urge to do it in freestyle - I'm quite happy standing around letting the woman do the real dancing, while I just have to think about some moves.

Do you not have role reveral competitions in Scotland? Both Stockport Blits and Ceroc Nantwich have held such events ... great fun ... and as Franck says, does wonders for guys really understanding just what they put their partners through.

Case in point was the Ball we've just had at Wellington ... Paul Tavansau (NZ/Aussie Champ) decided to handicap himself ... so garbbed me as his partner ..... might have got away with it except the fact that I forgot that he's a drops and dips expert.

Guys, ever wondered what the lady feels when you do a dominator (layback) on her??? I can now say from personal experienece ... its 'interesting' I'm not sure if all my vertebrae still fit together the same way .... mind you, still impressed that Paul could trow my deadweight of 13st into drops without leaving me on the deck ....

Franck ... fancy putting in a fun role reversal competition at your next freestyle?

I've lead men a quite a few times (and we are talking about me doing the 'male' lead as opposed to me leading when I'm not meant to be).

When I'm dancing to Fine Brown Frame, I REALLY have to urge to lead when the woman sings!!!! Especially when I'm dancing with Bill - he's really coming on as a woman - but I have been training him for years now

I'm only a rank beginner at it, but whenever I've danced the "follower's" role I'm always amazed at how much spinning is involved (unless of course someone's just taking their revenge!!!!)

But when I was in the Dundee team cabaret, a fair chunk involved the lady leading the man, and I know that when it came to those parts - once I had learned them - I really felt I could relax more and enjoy the dance.

So I guess I'm game for a spot of role reversal (FC, DV, whoever - are you listening??). BUT BE GENTLE, PLEASE!!!

And I have quite a vivid recollection of a Ceroc Christmas party in Edinburgh, where Franck & Obi danced together in an extremely powerful routine that dominated the dance floor - swapping roles throughout and as far from being effeminate or gay as it's possible to imagine.

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Dancing Veela
    When I'm dancing to Fine Brown Frame, I REALLY have to urge to lead when the woman sings!!!! Especially when I'm dancing with Bill - he's really coming on as a woman - but I have been training him for years now
    and that song's never been the same since for me I still feel as though the woman should be leading me when the female vocal comes on.

Yep...that was always fun....and sometimes I almost followed properly:p Have to do it again sometime soon

An Eclectic Toaster

Role reversal songs!

Maybe there should be a rule at some parties that you're only allowed to dance to the following tracks if you gender-swap:

Fine Brown Frame
    Man I Feel Like a Woman
    Girls and Boys (Blur)

Any others?

That'd soon improve us guys, I think. My own attempts at dancing like a girl are related in the "Spinning Around" thread, along with the pelters I got for it

Seriously though it's worth a go. Even attempting it helps you understand what you should be doing as the male half.
    Last edited by Stuart M; 5th-November-2002 at 11:24 AM.

Re: Role reversal songs!

Originally posted by Stuart M
    Even just trying it makes you begin to realise better what you should be doing when you're the male half.
    Heather - do you want to do your English teacher bit here?

Sorry Stuart! :sorry

Jayne

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    it would need to be in English first

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Role reversal songs!

Originally posted by Jayne
    Heather - do you want to do your English teacher bit here?
    I'm scared - I edited the post...

Yellow doesn't come out very well, does it?

Commercial Operator
    Just whilst we are being nice to Stuart, I think he dances very well like a girl... a pity it's when he's leading but there we have it.

:sorry

An Eclectic Toaster
    Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    Just whilst we are being nice to Stuart, I think he dances very well like a girl... a pity it's when he's leading but there we have it.
    I can't believe it took almost 2 hours for that one - I was about to put it on myself!

Source was entirely predictable, though

Probably didn't read it properly first time because his hair got in the way or something... :p

Oi!!! You two are just trying to hijack this thread and get to "take it outside", aren't you???

My survival instinct tells me not to comment on Stuart's dancing like a girl...

Ho hum... Gus'll be back soon so that'll be the end of cat fights and onto some more serious debates...

I think I've developed a twitch at the end of my sentances...

Jayne....

Thread Information