Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be Safe

Re: Be Safe

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    I walked a girl to her car with my ceroc plastic card duly ready for action should it have been needed.
    You had a far better (and legal) weapon with you ... your deoderant. Having Lynx sprayed into an attackers eyes isnt as effective as using mace but it gives sufficient time to get to safety or give the b*****d a good kicking while he cant hit back

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    But still. 4 in 100. And chances are that you'd be starting off fairly close to them.... That's almost as many misses as the people firing machine guns at Arnie in his films!!

These days, given the plethora of video games, paintballing activities etc. I would have thought that someone interested enough in guns to own one would have had some experience of firing a one - even a pretend one.

Trampy
    ever tried to shoot a moving tyre... its nearly impossible! (according to my mother who learned how to shoot in the army)

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    ever tried to shoot a moving tyre... its nearly impossible! (according to my mother who learned how to shoot in the army)
    Yes. I'd agree. But then, a moving tyre is attached to a car, which is moving a lot faster than a lady (even wearing trainers). It's also a lot smaller. Not that I'm saying that ladies are big you understand. Oh dear. Ladies. Please put down those guns *starts running*

Trampy

Ceroc DJ

Ermmm - not sure its that relevant but what about sawn off shotguns ? They have much larger "spread" pattern due to the fact that the length of the barrel is designed to keep the shot close together over a longer distance so if you shorten the length of the barrel and you could probably hit a mouse at 5 meters let alone a person!

I've thought of a good defense though. Does anybody remember that Jasper Carrott sketch about the nutter ? ... went along the lines of wherever he went he seemed to have the words "nutter lover" on his forehead ?

Just behave like a total nutter and the assailant will run a mile ... or become your best friend !!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Yes. I'd agree. But then, a moving tyre is attached to a car, which is moving a lot faster than a lady (even wearing trainers). It's also a lot smaller. Not that I'm saying that ladies are big you understand. Oh dear. Ladies. Please put down those guns *starts running*

Trampy
    I did a lot of shooting in the deserts around Washington State with a bunch of nutty americans. Every single one of them carried a gun for self defence to any location that was legal. One of the girls even had a license to carry a concealed weapon (which is much less common).

From what I saw and the shooting I did, I would say that the odds of being shot by any of that lot would be very high.

However, I suspect that in most scenarios being discussed here - the assailant is more than likely using the weapon for show and the last thing he wants is for everbody else to know he has a gun - so I would suggest a girl

1 - throw her handbag at him (instinct is to catch it)
    2 - Shout as loud as you can "he's got a gun." (don't shout fire )
    3 - Run like f*ck (pref take the first turning off the road you are on)
    4 - Aim for a public place

He'll probably run the other way - and try and conceal the gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their cheque book, or making a list). DON'T DO THIS! A predator could be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, and attack you. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS...
    This is an important one. Can I also add, if you are going somewhere, keep the doors locked until you are just about to get out of your car and glance round before you unlock them. Central locking can be dangerous in this respect. I know several women who have unlocked the drivers door and someone nearby has been waiting for this, jumps in and grabs their handbag off the passengers seat. Other areas to be careful if you are alone in the car with the doors unlocked are traffic lights.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Things people should know to stay safe:

1. Don't take safety advice from chain emails.
    2. Or random internet posts like this one.

BUT! .....

Far better posting in a forum than emailing (especially openly!) to a big list of people! Even better to refer to an web site rather than typing or copying and pasting!!

Check out
    Break the Chain
    For why all chain letters are bad, even the well intentioned ones, and why dissemination of information by chain is both unreliable, [can be edited by anyone] and open to abuse [spammers getting lists of any open email addresses].

Glad this thread was started, 'cos I hate chain letters with a vengeance , and relish any opportunity to inform [and vent that frustration!].

Y'all have a fine halloweeeeeeeeen!!!

Ian

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Other areas to be careful if you are alone in the car with the doors unlocked are traffic lights.
    You know, I tend to do this when I'm in another town but usually forget when I'm near home - crazy isn't it?
    Once, I had someone jump into the passenger side of the car, I was watching the traffic at the time, having stopped at the junction to turn left into a main road...........thankfully it was someone I knew, but it didn't half give me a fright
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans

Check out
    Break the Chain

Ian
    liked this from it http://www.breakthechain.org/awards/0404.html

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    You know, I tend to do this when I'm in another town but usually forget when I'm near home - crazy isn't it?
    Once, I had someone jump into the passenger side of the car, I was watching the traffic at the time, having stopped at the junction to turn left into a main road...........thankfully it was someone I knew, but it didn't half give me a fright
    I am the same!

It doesn't matter if you know them, its still frightening and it can make you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    because people respond to "FIRE!", they don't respond to "HELP!"

I'm sure that if someone was chasing me with a gun, the last thing I'd want to shout is 'FIRE' !!

Confronted by a guy with a gun, in my dreams I'd smile broadly, and say "Sorry, mate, I saw the camera. I don't want to be on TV.", and walk off whilst he looked around and wondered if I was for real.

I don't believe the 4 in 100 hit statistic, and even if true, it gives you more than 1 chance in 5 of being hit with six shots.

Erm,is just me or has this moved away from Lory's original post of info for ladies to keep safe?
    Maybe I'm weird but when I arranged to meet a potential dance partner I made sure that she told somebody WHO she was meeting,WHERE and the time - these are simple and easy things to do & does help to keep you safe.

Oh,and hey - it can happen to guys as well!

Thread Information