Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to KIll a MJ Venue

Re: How to KIll a MJ Venue

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers & Mash
    Also, when I was in Nantwich I struck gold as I was introduced to some really good female dancers and met a couple of beginners who seem to have a natural ability for dance. I was also in good company which helps.
    Cant argue with that

How to Kill a MJ Venue
    1. Start up a competing venue on the same night, at less than cost, until the other venue folds.
    2. Ban the competing teacher, DJ, crew, and (in extremis) dancers from any of your venues.
    3. Ban your teacher, DJ, crew, and (in extremis) dancers from going to any of the competing venues.
    4. Use the competition's death drop signal as your side pass signal. Natural selection is an important competitive tool.

Or so I hear...

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    4. Use the competition's death drop signal as your side pass signal. Natural selection is an important competitive tool.

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r
    windsor
    windsor and....

I think having a historic base is good but even that doesnt always help look at guildford a shadow of its former self (and i wasnt thinking of that club above)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r
    windsor
    is shi*

oops did i really say that out loud
    the bloke who plays the tunes is either stupid or trying to find the perfect floor cleaning track where everyon walks off the floor.

But as we've said before - complain or show any dissent and it's go forth and procreate on your own.

Its a difficult venue as it is acoustically crap but the dj jesus i could do better with the CD's in my car of which at least 3 are ELO

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    windsor and....

I think having a historic base is good but even that doesnt always help look at guildford a shadow of its former self (and i wasnt thinking of that club above)
    In the event i get banned followin this post well it's all true.

Guildford the only place to dance is Katy Baxters Rebel Roc.
    She has the gift of the gab - she works all night to make the venues she runs work - she actively hunts out the newbies rather than leaving them floundering - ok she's sexy - she only does 3 moves for the 2nd class (always works in 30 mins therefore. Yet is more than good enough to appeal) - she plays music to dance to - did i say she was sexy?.

On the other hand my experience of guildford (extensive 'cos thats where i was brought into the fold) it was a good venue with good dancers but the management dint give two hoots there was never any real interaction from the ceroc management with the dancers ('cept in the clique if ya know wot i mean). Oh but she was sexy too - credit where credit is due!

Ceroc management could do a lot worse than taking lessons from Katy Baxter in my book. She runs a good ship and I will always have time for her and the RebelRoc style.

Right am i banned now???

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    [windsor] is shi*
    What a real shame to hear. It was Reading and Windsor that got me into ceroc in the first place - back in 1994 - so I have fond memories. If I remember rightly the venue was the "Black Tulip" which is by the river.

Unfortunately, moving away meant the dancing had to stop as ceroc was practically unheard of then and I only got back into it when I moved to Edinburgh in March this year.

I must confess to encountering an unhealthy number of ceroc snobs in those days - a term which is pretty rare up hear in scotland and I believe pretty rare in england as well now.

Still, I suppose the DJ has moved on since 1992 and certainly music has.

Perhaps, more constructively, we could put a list together of really good venues so that people with venues not on the list can see what is doing well and why and try and emulate it.

For my two-penneth more:

Marcos, Edinburgh on a Thursday rocks
    Nantwich on a Tuesday rocks
    The Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee parties all rock.
    You can't say "these venues are spectacular" if you don't put it in context with the number of venues and areas you have actually visited. Every club has regulars and every regular will say that their club is the best - the number of factors that make a night "good" or "bad" will fluctuate, as will the influence on these factors.

For my completly unbias tuppence worth:

Any party at Aberdeen's Beach Ballroom has to be experianced - the venue and company add to a great night.

Tuesday nights in Culter, (Aberdeen) have a great floor, space without being dead, the DJ is getting better {} and the dancers are some of the best in Scotland.

Wednesday nights in Jumping Jacks, (Aberdeen) is a great venue, nice 'close' atmosphere, and one of the best DJ's Ive heard.

Thursday nights in O'Donahughs, (Aberdeen) have one of the best atmospheres and fun feel, but the floor is rubbish.

Partys in Aberdeen have been getting better and better with lots of people traveling from further south adding an extra bit of 'specialness' to the nights.

... OK, so I can't comment on any venues further afeild because I may have only danced once or twice at them - does that make this list any less vaid than B&M's ?

[QUOTE=Gadget... OK, so I can't comment on any venues further afeild because I may have only danced once or twice at them - does that make this list any less vaid than B&M's ?[/QUOTE]

We can only comment on where we have been - which is why I excluded Aberdeen - but I can say that I have danced with people from Aberdeen and they were awesome

Commercial Operator

is shi*

the bloke who plays the tunes is either stupid or trying to find the perfect floor cleaning track where everyon walks off the floor.

But as we've said before - complain or show any dissent and it's go forth and procreate on your own.

Its a difficult venue as it is acoustically crap but the dj jesus i could do better with the CD's in my car of which at least 3 are ELO

In fairness at the end of each mounth they have a guest DJ i think his name is Ian ( played at Hamersmith last weekend).
    Great set got everyone dancing good mix...
    So why only once a mounth ....
    Sack the resident DJ and get someone good or the venue will die....

is shi*

Have to agree this and get banned as well !

The nos are always good at windsor but music is bad apart from guess DJ

Im surpised rebel roc or whoever havent set up somewhere near windsor ?

Guildford 8/9 yrs ago you couldn't get a xmas ticket for love or money but now look.I think the reaons have been given.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Guildford 8/9 yrs ago you couldn't get a xmas ticket for love or money but now look.I think the reaons have been given.
    I think thats very sad. I remeber going to Guilford in 2000 and being very intimidated by the standard despite I had just become CTA. Having said that, despite the standard being high ... they were a bl**dy arrogant bunch ... had to practically beg to get a dance At least the music was good, think Annalisa kept a tight thread on the music and in those days she was a nationally rated DJ ... not heard much about her on the DJ front these days but that could be because I'm out of touch with whats going on down there.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I think thats very sad. I remeber going to Guilford in 2000 and being very intimidated by the standard despite I had just become CTA. Having said that, despite the standard being high ... they were a bl**dy arrogant bunch ... had to practically beg to get a dance At least the music was good, think Annalisa kept a tight thread on the music and in those days she was a nationally rated DJ ... not heard much about her on the DJ front these days but that could be because I'm out of touch with whats going on down there.
    I've not been to Guildford Ceroc for over a year. One of the best things about the venue is the floor: it's one of the best floors I've ever danced on The last time I went it was very crowded, very cliquey and the teacher was one of those brash/arrogant/smug types who likes to prove she's better than her students - oh, and she turned me down for a dance (the last time a actually did dance with her she was in a bouncy world of her own and sabotaged most of what I tried in a headlong rush to show off ) Needless to say, I didn't go again

Having said all of the above, I have been to Annalisa's Godalming class on a Sunday quite a few times recently. The natives are very friendly, the venue is fab, the teaching is good, the music is good and Annalisa's there and makes everyone feel welcome I can only assume that what's happenned at Guildford is beyond Annalisa's control

These are my observations from watching some venues in their death throws

How to Kill a MJ Venue

- The person on the door doesn't smile
    - Dancers of all ability stop coming because they don't like the music
    - More experienced dancers stop coming because the intermediate class is not challenging enough
    - Other experienced dancers stop coming because of the lack of experienced dancers to dance with
    - The venue becomes a "beginner only" venue
    - Beginners stop coming because they don't feel they can progress
    - The DJ becomes disillusioned
    - The Instructor becomes disillusioned
    - The venue dies

How to do something about it
    Maybe the teachers change ?

Commercial Operator

What a real shame to hear. It was Reading and Windsor that got me into ceroc in the first place - back in 1994 - so I have fond memories. If I remember rightly the venue was the "Black Tulip" which is by the river.

Unfortunately, moving away meant the dancing had to stop as ceroc was practically unheard of then and I only got back into it when I moved to Edinburgh in March this year.

I must confess to encountering an unhealthy number of ceroc snobs in those days - a term which is pretty rare up hear in scotland and I believe pretty rare in england as well now.

Still, I suppose the DJ has moved on since 1992 and certainly music has.
    as you mentioned the reading venue we are just about to move to a much bigger venue with parking
    Parking around the irish centre was always a pain but they have actually started developing around that area so we have moved as of Tuesday 2nd November we will be moving to Thamesbridge College, Northumberland Avenue, Reading, RG2 8DJ this will be a free night so come down for all those that started in reading or just for a wicked nights dancing

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor

Having said all of the above, I have been to Annalisa's Godalming class on a Sunday quite a few times recently. The natives are very friendly, the venue is fab, the teaching is good, the music is good and Annalisa's there and makes everyone feel welcome

I can only assume that what's happenned at Guildford is beyond Annalisa's control
    Then you'll be glad to hear that Rob May is back teaching at Guildford from November and Annalisa herself is back DJ-ing.

Its a difficult venue as it is acoustically crap

Yes, I've been to windsor a few times and it must be difficult to get the music sounding good in "gym like" venues. Also, the floors aren't brilliant to dance on unless you opt for trainers.

Alas, there are so few natural wood dance floors about.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

To stay on topic for a change...

How to kill a MJ venue (Im sure that should be "an MJ venue" though )

Your modern MJ venue has lots of legs, so can, in theory, run quite fast. However, not all those legs move in time with the rest so it has a habit of running round in circles. Also, you Modern venue occasionaly plays pish like "Call on me" which rots the brain, so your average MJ venue aint that bright either. So the best way to kill something that doesnt move much and is a bit thick ? Dig a hole and wait for it to fall in...I believe its called "Leeds".

sorry Bardsey

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    Yes, I've been to windsor a few times and it must be difficult to get the music sounding good in "gym like" venues. Also, the floors aren't brilliant to dance on unless you opt for trainers.

Alas, there are so few natural wood dance floors about.

Have I mentioned the Jivemasters final on the 20th November yet? www.jivemasters.com Anyway, the hall has one of the best sprung, "natural wood" dance floors in the country

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    Have I mentioned the Jivemasters final on the 20th November yet? www.jivemasters.com Anyway, the hall has one of the best sprung, "natural wood" dance floors in the country
    A picture can paint a thousand words...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information