Thread: All the world's a stage -- or is it?

All the world's a stage -- or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Cheers pal ... make me feel confident about it wont you! Seriously there is a twofold challenge. Firstly, the MJ lessons have to be interesting and yet challenging enough so that an adequate number of numbers continue to come back. Secondly, the MJ teachers need to be able to use model of teaching that are going to communicate in workshop-type clarity but form a stage.
    This is going to be a "stupid" question -- but why do the teachers *have* to be on stage?

Demoing the moves "on the centre of the dance floor" -- even if punters have to sit / get out of the way -- means that the worst case sightline is halved, probably the visual information is quadrupled at least? Might be one way to start the class and demo the routine?

Thinking about it, my favourite classes / workshops are when the teachers are closer and on the floor -- even if the room is packed with dancers.

If you still want "bodies" on the stage -- you could imagine having a demo couple rather than teachers. In fact one class I used to go to would use "repeater" demo couples, so that there was someone near to you, that you could easily see.

Having the teacher occasionally prowling the floor while everyone's practicing and dispensing wisdom could be a unique selling point.

But then maybe this is too radical? Although "repeater" demo couples on the floor between rows might still be an interesting idea -- but might take some advanced preparation.

SpinDr.

Re: All the world's a stage -- or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    This is going to be a "stupid" question -- but why do the teachers *have* to be on stage?
    Practicality. If you are teaching 100+ dancers the only way for them all to see you is to be in an elevated position. If this the best solution ... dunno ... I think there may well be an element of "because we've always done it that way". Especially when showing footwork or the intricacies of handholds and leads, there is not doubt is better to be among the masses ... but getting the audience to sit down then stand up (if there is a fair number) is better suited to a workshop than a usual club night (IMHO) ... but I'm more than willing to be challenged on that.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr

Thinking about it, my favourite classes / workshops are when the teachers are closer and on the floor -- even if the room is packed with dancers.

Having the teacher occasionally prowling the floor while everyone's practicing and dispensing wisdom could be a unique selling point.

But then maybe this is too radical? Although "repeater" demo couples on the floor between rows might still be an interesting idea -- but might take some advanced preparation.

SpinDr.
    That's how I used to teach swing / rock'n'roll (back in the stoneage when I was young and... Eh... Young). I would be demoing and teaching the class from the middle of the dance floor, and then walk around to look at / help people with their dancing. Worked very well, and you got good contact with your class, and I think it made the teachers less "intimidating" as they were on your level, rather that up on a stage.

However, when the room is very crowded, there can be the problem of actually seeing what the teachers are doing... Also, as people will stand all around the edges of the floor, rather than in rows in front of a stage, some people will see the backs of the teachers, whilst others will see the font or side... In this way, it is possibly clearer and less confusing when everyone are standing in rows, all the men facing the same way as the male teacher / demo, and all the ladies facing the same way as the female teacher / demo...

Personally, I prefer the teachers to be on the floor during smaller workshops, but think that (especially for beginners classes) it's easiest to teach huge crowds from a stage, unless you've got a big enough room for everyone to have a clear view of the teachers.

Little Monkey

I started Tango a few months ago and like their method (30/40 people). The teacher demo's and then gives you an excercise or move to do, then walks around the class to give guidance. If a couple needs to be corrected, he will dance with one or each of them to show them how the excercise should be done.

I wish Le/Ce Roc/MJ teachers would be a bit more 'hands on' at times, especially when they are attempting to teach the correct hand hold or a frame!

I am sure that taxi dancers do a very good job of this, but I think it would give the teacher a better insight into his class? Espcially any teachers in Bristol where 'stompy' attends

Elaine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB
    The teacher demo's and then gives you an excercise or move to do, then walks around the class to give guidance. If a couple needs to be corrected, he will dance with one or each of them to show them how the excercise should be done.
    Elaine
    Agreed- this works really well, and most of all you really can see what people are doing, answer queries, and get a good idea how well the class is picking it up. With classes bigger than 40 though it is impossible as already said.

getting the audience to sit down then stand up (if there is a fair number) is better suited to a workshop than a usual club night
    Yeah - I've seen that done in a smaller class (~50 dancers). It has the additional advantage of forcing people to actually watch rather than dance it through and assume they know it. That said, as Ceroc is "no footwork", surely you only need to see the top half of the teacher?

All the world's a stage -- or is it?

This would confuse the "Hotshots"

How would they decide where to dance?

Zuhal

The Forum Legend

Have to say that I don't like teaching, or being taught by teachers in the middle of a circle on the floor. When I'm teaching, it means that I can't see everyone who is doing the class, and I have to keep rotating, and demonstrating from different angles. When I'm being taught, I prefer the teaching couple up the front too.

Also have to say that if I'm getting it wrong in the class, I'd also be mortified to have the teacher come across and halt the class while he explained to me exactly what I'm doing wrong (everything?). I'd prefer to struggle through, trying to work it out myself, and then, if I still haven't got it by the end, either forget about it - chances are that I'm never going to want to do that particular move anyhow, or if I really do like it, then go and see the teacher in some dark corner, and get him to explain it to me rather more privately.

Trampy

Thread Information