Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cool Catz - Putting our money where our mouth is

Cool Catz - Putting our money where our mouth is

Over last year or so there has been much debate about the need (or not) for a club catering for the more experienced dancers (notice I'm not saying advanced dancers). Many opinions were offered, a few arguments occurred .. and for the most part not a lot seems to have happened in response. Scot is now in the process of running a workshop series to target this market (and we all hope that this venture works). Down South ... Hipsters continues to be ... well, Hipsters. The more I've looked at what I think is needed, the more I've been drawn to the Hipsters concept and the type of music played by the likes of LL.

So .... we've now decided to put our money where my mouth was. We open Cool Catz on November 26th! We've approached Hipsters and they've been very supporting, allowing us to use the tag-line "The HIPSTERS of the North" The club will be aimed at dancers with at least 12 months dance experience, it not a beginners club. Its not every Friday .. because I'm not sure that dancers will want it EVERY Friday (and there are venues issues) but we've got one venue for freestyles and a similar sized venue for club nights, nearer to my Northwich MJ club.

The idea is to have a first lesson of WCS, with a second lesson of either Blues or 'more challenging' MJ ... not focusing on complex moves, but looking at improving dance through footwork, style and lead. The music will try to stay away from the 'standard/safe' music and we shall be looking to play more Nu-Swing, Latin and R&B to give the dancers something to play with.

Will it work?? Dunno. But I think its worth giving it a shot. To date I've had a lot of negative feedback about whether the North was ready for such a format and especially as regards the music. Well ... we ran a trial night last Friday with LL playing one of his excellent sets ... and it just blew away all those who came ... loads of good feedback ... and on the back of that success we're going to give it a go.

Why this posting ... well, like any venture, I need feedback and idea to make this work. We're trying to be very careful not to hack off any of the existing dance organisations in the area. We really do see this club as offering something different and complimentary. So ... any suggestions about how best to make this work?
    Last edited by Gus; 25th-October-2004 at 02:46 PM.

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Talking Re: Cool Catz - Putting our money where our mouth is

Go for it..........Give it large and the very best of success and luck Gus......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Re: Cool Catz - Putting our money where our mouth is

Sounds excellent to me! I only wish I was anywhere near you (or Hipsters for that matter - 2 hours drive on a week night is too much for me!)

Good luck with it - if it works, could you do a countrywide tour taking in the Peterborough area?!

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Sounds excellent to me! I only wish I was anywhere near you ...............Good luck with it ...

Good luck from me too.... Sounds fabby

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Forum Legend

All the best Gus. Hope that it works (just in case I'm ever down that way one night when it's on!!).

Trampy

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Good luck with it - if it works, could you do a countrywide tour taking in the Peterborough area?!
    Call me cynical but I can't see a Ceroc Franchisee welcoming us to any area near them. We are trying to stay neutral but given past experiences I have no doubt someone will have a problem with us. Just look at the all the trouble those reprobates at Hipsters (The Cool Catz of the South) have caused .

I'm assuming the club is at Nantwich - you don't mention that, many readers may not know. Sounds absolutely fantastic and I would love to go but a 1 and a half to 2 hour drive involving the M6 on a Friday evening means that I probably will not. I'd be much more likely to make the effort on a Saturday. Is there any particular reason why you've chosen Fridays for the club?

Will there be milk at the bar?

Good luck Gus
    it's unlikely I'll ever get there but I wish you well
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    I'm assuming the club is at Nantwich
    Urrghhh no. Ceroc Nantwich have a fatwah out on me so I'm staying well clear.

I havent gone into the detail as we havent finalised the press release yet, awaiting feedback from a few contributors before we 'go to press'. However, the two venues we will be using are; Knutsford Civic Centre (near to M6 Jnc 19) for freestyles and Middlewich Civic Hall (venue for our previous club, between Northwich and Crewe) for the main classes.

We've picked Fridays to avoid clashes with other MJ clubs in the area. The use of two venues will hopefully allow more people to come and try it out. Also means that travelling dancers will often be able to come to Cool Catz on a Firday then a standard MJ freetstyle on a Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Call me cynical but I can't see a Ceroc Franchisee welcoming us to any area near them. We are trying to stay neutral but given past experiences I have no doubt someone will have a problem with us. Just look at the all the trouble those reprobates at Hipsters (The Cool Catz of the South) have caused .
    Yes, you're quite right no doubt - I wasn't really serious about the tour - can't imagine Phil Roberts going for the idea unfortunately! I'll have to figure out how far away Nantwich is, no doubt too far, but at least the idea is spreading, so it might get to the Ceroc Central area in about, oh, 10 years perhaps... !

Sorry I've just re-read this - it sounds really cynical and depressed - I'm not like that really

Commercial Operator

Good on ya Gus. Sounds like a good move & I hope it works,. Will try to get down sometime.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    Good on ya Gus. Sounds like a good move & I hope it works,. Will try to get down sometime.....
    Thnaks for all the positive vibes One minor problem ... instead of LL or JB ... we've got me ... instead of Viktor/Nigel/AMir ... they've got ahem ... me So ... what I lack in expertise and experience I've got to compensate in making sure I know what the punters want. There are a fair few people who just dont do lessons anymore ... so I need to understand what it is they WANT from a lesson in order to tempt them back.

We are lucky in that we've got Chris T teaching WCS at the club. Very experienced dancer, with great non-MJ expertise (ballroom and line dancing background). But what else do you think the punters want (and please dont say The Mavericks). If you were in the area what would you want to see?

Urrghhh no. Ceroc Nantwich have a fatwah out on me so I'm staying well clear.
    Sorry, I knew there were some politics, just couldn't remember exactly what!

Also means that travelling dancers will often be able to come to Cool Catz on a Firday then a standard MJ freetstyle on a Saturday!
    Surely nobody would be that obsessed?

BTW, I'd be delighted to see someone giving Ceroc Central a bit of competition. It's a bit of an eye-opener to see that they charge the highest prices around for exactly the same MJ product as everyone else. Higher even than the holy sanctum of Hipsters. (No you don't sound cynical, Trish, just observant) Although I don't know what prices you charge either, Gus.
    Ceroc Central have been ruthless about stamping on competition and the result is that I don't feel that my desire for a variety of reasonably priced MJ events across the Midlands is being met. Compared with what I hear about the south of the country I think we are poorly off. So maybe I will make the effort to get to Nant, sorry, Northwich after all!

So maybe I will make the effort to get to Nant, sorry, Northwich after all!
    Sorry, Middlewich, I think I must be going Knuts!

good luck mate it will work I am sure, I was really impressed with your Thursday Northwich class night and the turn out on friday was amazing
    I can see regular trips north for me & Evelyne

Trish, The Lounge Lizard in your area - or any area in the UK - YES NO PROBLEMS

We have everything you need to put on a swing and blues night, you find the hall we do the rest, we are happy to work for/with any organiser or individual anywhere...........sorry Gus nicking your thread.

LL

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
    Trish, The Lounge Lizard in your area - or any area in the UK - YES NO PROBLEMS

We have everything you need to put on a swing and blues night, you find the hall we do the rest, we are happy to work for/with any organiser or individual anywhere...........sorry Gus nicking your thread.LL
    You bounder sir ... never catch me doing that!

Actualy .. its spot on with the rest of the thread. The problem is persuading dancers that there is a world of dance outside there current 'safe zone' of music that they might enjoy. I've pro-actively used LL's rep and expertise as a stalking horse ... and its drawn out dancers onto the floor to music they would never have tried before. This brings out a chicken and egg question. What comes first .. the dance expertise to dance to this music, or the music to encourage the dancers to try to advance their danceing? Either way, I can think of no better way of upping the ante in your area than inviting LL to play a gig.

So ... who is going to risk taking on the might of the Mighty Ceroc Central empire and try to set-up a LL gig? The challenge is on!! Come to think of it ... why dont more Ceroc franshisees just book him for a gig?

... So ... who is going to risk taking on the might of the Mighty Ceroc Central empire and try to set-up a LL gig? The challenge is on!!
    Been done, and more than once. Jook Jive have hosted two well appreciated LL events , and continues to spread the blues gospel. Next one brings in some American blues dance expertise. The Ceroc Central DJ's that I am familiar with are top class IMO, and play to match their audience. It would be interesting to hear a blues set from them. Personally I would like to see a trial of double halls at the Corn Exchange, with an alternative to the normal fair (which suits so many people) in the smaller hall upstairs.

BTW, I'd be delighted to see someone giving Ceroc Central a bit of competition. It's a bit of an eye-opener to see that they charge the highest prices around for exactly the same MJ product as everyone else. Higher even than the holy sanctum of Hipsters.
    It is a business, supply and demand. At that price Ceroc Central continues to grow, it has to be doing something right.

Ceroc Central have been ruthless about stamping on competition and the result is that I don't feel that my desire for a variety of reasonably priced MJ events across the Midlands is being met. Compared with what I hear about the south of the country I think we are poorly off. So maybe I will make the effort to get to Nant, sorry, Northwich after all!
    Please give an example of "ruthless". We have two competing MJ nights in Bedford, and two others within 12 miles. There are too many areas of the country that are a lot worse off. If CC maximises profits it can grow quicker.

Thread Information