Thread: Style & Technique Workshops/Weekends

Style & Technique Workshops/Weekends

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    .........../snip/... Johnny and Becky. Superb dancers. As it happens, they were my favourite teachers: they took three beginner workshops, each over an hour long, and they taught us precisely one move. Fantastic.
    The weekend was NOT about learning moves, it was about styling and technique

My favourite was Steve Mitchell - however his dance style is different but once again using just one or two actual moves he too concentrated on style and technique.

His partner Virginie was magnificant and really helped us girlies - she said that if a lady follows well it makes life easier for the lead who in turn will give the lady a great dance and make her look GREAT and she gave us some really good tips

Message to Weekend Organisers
    Can we please have a Modern Jive Weekend similar to the Sultans of Swing (the weekend Martin & I attended) which concentrate purely on style, musicality, frame, technique etc., using modern jive as the base dance

OR - A day of such workshops (9am to 7pm + evening dance to 1am) using teachers like David & Lily, Adam N. Franck, Amir & Kate, Nigel & Nina etc etc.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: Style & Technique Workshops/Weekends

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    His partner Virginie was magnificant and really helped us girlies - she said that if a lady follows well it makes life easier for the lead who in turn will give the lady a great dance and make her look GREAT and she gave us some really good tips
    I'm trying to work on my following and I know it is improving. (Now just need to get the NI men to learn how to lead )

Can we please have a Modern Jive Weekend similar to the Sultans of Swing (the weekend Martin & I attended) which concentrate purely on style, musicality, frame, technique etc., using modern jive as the base dance

OR - A day of such workshops (9am to 7pm + evening dance to 1am) using teachers like David & Lily, Adam N. Franck, Amir & Kate, Nigel & Nina etc etc.
    Sounds fab, if it ever happens, I'll come over for it!

........A day of such workshops (9am to 7pm + evening dance to 1am) using teachers like David & Lily, Adam N. Franck, Amir & Kate, Nigel & Nina etc etc.
    Don't Ceroc already provide Style workshops? I know that Blitz do aswell. These seem to be aimed at Intermediate dancers ... but I think some of the elements are of benefit to dancers at higher levels than that.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Don't Ceroc already provide Style workshops?
    Yes, they do - as well as that Franck offers "Beginners Plus" and "Classic Intermediate" Workshops to go into greater depth than just *How to do these moves*.
    One of the best workshops I've had the good fortune to be involved with was Franck's "Leading feet with hands" workshop at the BFG and everyone there seemed keen for more of the same

A great idea Minnie with only one small change - the party afterwards should definitely be on until at least 2am
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena
    One of the best workshops I've had the good fortune to be involved with was Franck's "Leading feet with hands" workshop at the BFG
    Nice workshop, however the title was {IMHO} missleading (no pun intended) - most of the instruction was on leading and following technique and how if you lead properly, the lady will move where you lead her.

No complaints - taught well and crammed with usefull info; just didn't really see any "true" examples of making the lady move her feet in a specific way by leading her: Perhaps you need to develop/hone the leading and following skills before this is possable? (If it is.)

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    just didn't really see any "true" examples of making the lady move her feet in a specific way by leading her: Perhaps you need to develop/hone the leading and following skills before this is possable? (If it is.)
    Well, the title was just quirky
    You are right, the workshop was all about leading / following. Most of the moves I had picked as examples involved the ladies stepping with the men, and (hopefully) taught the men how to build the correct frame, use different pressure points in each hand (as well as shoulders / elbows and other body parts in contact), so as such it did involve altering the direction, speed, of your partner's feet with your hands!

I reckon, there wasn't enough time in the 1.5 hours though, and I definitely plan to have a full workshop on lead / follow very soon.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Does Sultans always have that level of focus on basics and technique? I do hope so - but I rather got the impression that all three sets of teachers had independantly decided on that - so next year might have a different focus.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Does Sultans always have that level of focus on basics and technique? I do hope so - but I rather got the impression that all three sets of teachers had independantly decided on that - so next year might have a different focus.
    This year was my third and all three have been the same format - James & Bridget usually teach and their workshops are normally standard Lindy, however, Steve & Virginie's are always the same format. They are the main teachers and therefore set the format as they are (IMHO) The Sultans of Swing

(Last year they had Johnny & Becky for the first time and they went down so well that is why they were re-booked BTW Johnny was at Beach Boogie this year and Rock Bottoms have booked him for next year)

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Don't Ceroc already provide Style workshops? I know that Blitz do aswell. These seem to be aimed at Intermediate dancers ... but I think some of the elements are of benefit to dancers at higher levels than that.
    Style workshops are great and I would never knock them, but having an "All Dayer" like Rebel Yell this year ? or like MJC before it became a weekend event (with dancing till 2am !) with a selection of teachers giving shorter 'workshops' but all working on the same theme - IMHO it would be worth travelling for one of those (it would be cheaper as you only have to worry about one night's stay )

--ooOoo--

Thread Information