Thread: Classes vs Workshops vs Privates vs Freestyle vs Analysis

Classes vs Workshops vs Privates vs Freestyle vs Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans
    It seems that many put an over-emphasis on analysis ... say 90+%
    This post got me thinking...

Obviously we all learn to dance in part from classes. Those of us with the time and money also learn from taking workshops and private lessons. Personally, I think I learn a lot from practicing in freestyles - though I've learnt from this forum that other dancers see freestyles as being there for fun, not practice. I also think I learn a fair bit from "analysis" - stepping through moves in my head, thinking about how I can lead stuff better, sitting down and trying to work out the distinctions between this move and that move.

Totting it up, I guess I do 30% classes, 40% freestyle, and 30% analysis. I'm going to my first workshop this weekend, and I hope to do more of those in the future. I'd really like to spend a lot more time learning in freestyle, but it's not really practical at the moment - a shame.

What proportions do you do, or would you like to do? If you had to construct one of those "food pyramids", but for jive, how would it go? Are private lessons like the fats of the food pyramid - a little goes a long way?
    Oh, and is there anyone here who will admit to being 90%+ analysis?

Re: Classes vs Workshops vs Privates vs Freestyle vs Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    What proportions do you do, or would you like to do?
    Before a class, I have a few "warmup" dances and mix some basic moves with a few that need concentration/precision/timing to pull off well. This highlights anything that I would need to be aware of when doing them later and how the lady would move if I did X, or Z.

During a begginer's class, I learn precision, timing, movement and body position. {well, I try to } I normally try to do this while listening to the teacher rather than watching them.

During the first freestyle, I dance with begginers and newbies; so I normally dance simple, uncomplicated moves and try to lead well. I learn where I need to improve during this - anywhere that the lady does not go where I intend her to. {It's just working out why they didn't do what I expected.}

During the intermediate class I learn how to lead the lady into various variations and how to distinguish the difference between them. I learn various links and positions that I can incorporate into my dancing.

During the second freestyle I normally just dance, but am experimenting all the time; musicality, moves, timing, leading... If I find something that works I try really hard to remember what I just did { not that it works}. If something most definetly did not work, I try not to do it again. If something almost works I file it away for trying again later.

During an event (partys etc) I do the same as above - just dance and have fun. Every time I dance, it's a learning experiance. Not always the same thing, hardly ever noticable to my partner.

Commercial Operator

I might be the exception here, but I just dance.

I occasionally take classes but more often than not what I learn is by accident ( ) or by watching other guys on the floor .

Because of this I do have a small set of stock moves. Also, I'd admit to being a bad cerocer, but an ok MJer: what I don't know I tend to make up, with as strong a lead as I can muster. Sometimes it goes wrong, but I'm fully aware that each and every time it is my fault.

I'm not overly ananytical, and maybe I should be, because I am there to enjoy myself. I have reached a standard where I do, and most of my partners seem to, as well.

I'm happy.

I hope this helps, albeit showing the polemic view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    I'm happy.
    that's what its about
    My monday night dance class had me in role as seaweed
    I swear I actualised and haven't been led since
    Be happy

Thread Information