Thread: When the Wind Blows

When the Wind Blows

Does anyone remember this book and just how truly scary things wer back in the early 80's ... till I read the review below I'd forgotten just how fraught things were ... I remember now actualy being resigned to the fact that Nuclear War was inevitable ... remember seeing a documentary a few years back that revealed that we were closer to Nuclear War than we ever realised at the time.

Anyway, a rather good review of the book is below, from Amazom.co.uk

The most harrowing comic book imaginable, August 17, 1999
    Reviewer: David Something from England
    Written in the 80's, a time when nuclear war seemed to be an altogether too realistic possibility, this book is astonishingly brutal. The pages begin vibrant with colour and gradually fade to the whitewash of sickness, whilst the characters naive sensibilities and inability to understand that this war is different to the last one make the story unbearable. The fear is apparent throughout, but the reader knows that in this case ignorance is bliss. The Government's suggestions to hide behind a shelter made of doors are useless, but at least these people feel like they are doing something. The truth is, there is nothing they can do. Everyone should read this book, although it is the most upsetting book you will ever encounter.

Commercial Operator

Re: When the Wind Blows

Yep I remember this Gus. It was made into a cartoon film as well, which I remember seeing. I used to pass the Secretary of State for Scotlands, official Nuclear bunker, near East Calder, just outside Edinburgh every day going to work, and used to wonder if he would ever have to use it. it was turned into a disco years ago and is disused now.

Yes I remember the film but I’d rather forget it

If you are into gliding sailing or ballooning try
    this

http://www.wendywindblows.com/

Talking about classic strips, the one that still captivates me is The Watchmen. Rorshack; the first anti-hero.

Yes, I listened to 'When the wind blows' when decorating my lounge!

What about the Government's suggestion on how to build a shelter!! Taking the doors off and placing them at certain angles! Bound to protect us in a nuclear war - not! It all seemed so futile!

Elaine

Commercial Operator

Just like the US information film called " duck & Cover" ..if you see a nuclear flash you should duck down & cover your head with your hands......
    or should that have been tuck your head between your legs..........and kiss your ass goodbye........

Did anyone see the film the Beeb made back in the 1960's about what would happen during a nuclear war.
    It was never shown on mainstream TV as was considered too harrowing. CND got the film and used it as propaganda against the bomb.
    I saw it when i was about 16 - nightmares or what! (1980ish)

They even did the shadows on the walls after the bodies got vapourised. The representation of firestorms was horrible. Imagine a fire so intense that it doesn't want to die out so it starts to suck air and fuel and by fuel i mean anything not nailed down. They had some in Coventry and London during the war. I think it was the firestorms that really scared me about that film.

Then in the 70's there was 'Threads' on the TV that was delightful too.
    a nuclear strike in Sheffield what a script.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Does anyone remember this book and just how truly scary things wer back in the early 80's ... [/i]
    'Fraid so. I remember an earlier time when I was maybe 12, when my father patiently explained to me about the Cold War and how thousands of nuclear warheads were poised to wreak terror and death upon us at the flick of a switch. That knowledge signalled the end of childhood innocence for me. It made a profound impression on me and I frequently had nightmares about it throughout my teens.

Similarly in the early 8O's, around the time of the Russian Invasion of Afghanistan, there was a strong feeling that doom was imminent, this was in everyone's minds, but often unspoken.

I don't think that feeling is quite so strong at the moment but I do find envisaging possible future scenarios very frightening, so I try not to dwell on it. But perhaps people throughout the ages have felt they live in uncertain times. Comparative to say, an Iron Age hill fort dweller, I live a secure and peaceful existence. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    Did anyone see the film the Beeb made back in the 1960's about what would happen during a nuclear war.
    It was never shown on mainstream TV as was considered too harrowing. CND got the film and used it as propaganda against the bomb.
    The Government decided that the film was not in their best interests and BANNED it for about 20 years (who says we dont have censorship). I seem to remember some line it that said something like "soon they will realise that those who died in the original blast may have been the lucky ones as the nuclear winter sets in."

OK ... enough of this ... time for someone to start a happy thread!

Commercial Operator

Did anyone see the documentary on JFK, last night?

Apparently, because of various ailments, he was so doped on speed and testosterone that people now fear that is why he took the stand he did re Cuban missiles...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Did anyone see the documentary on JFK, last night?

Apparently, because of various ailments, he was so doped on speed and testosterone that people now fear that is why he took the stand he did re Cuban missiles...

There was an MP who complained in the House of Commons that he had asked at the time of the Cuban crisis what state of alert the country was in, and being told that it was just normal, only to discover later that we had been all primed for nuclear war. The PM (I believ it was McMillan) replied that full readiness was normal in that situation.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    The Government decided that the film was not in their best interests and BANNED it for about 20 years (who says we dont have censorship). I seem to remember some line it that said something like "soon they will realise that those who died in the original blast may have been the lucky ones as the nuclear winter sets in."

OK ... enough of this ... time for someone to start a happy thread!
    theres clearly not enough Death and Destruction on this forum When the Wind Blows was a classic - I also remember a classic one, possibly german, where there were 2 mice and one wanted the umbrella of the other one because it was raining and he wouldnt give him it so the mice tribes went to war, after increasing escalation and mass destruction, all that was left at the end was a chared umbrella. It was all pictures no text at all.

As for the Watchman - brilliant graphic novel and they are supposed to be making it into a film sometime soon - Rorshach was a hero, especially at the end when he showed he stood for truth and justice - he died because he was not prepared to lie to the people.

If anybody wants an insight into Government thinking during the Cold War, may I recommend a book called "The Secret State: Whitehall and the Cold War" by Peter Hennessy. I found it a big eye opener.

Also, should anybody travel between Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads, have a look on the right hand side just before you go into the Box Tunnel (The big tunnel between Chippenham and Bath). You can see the remains of a secret station which served the Prime Minister's Bunker. This was built inside the hill over the tunnel.

There is a massive sign in Essex that says
    "SECRET NUCLEAR BUNKER"this way

Zuhal

Thread Information