Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweat Shirts

Sweat Shirts

Let's face facts, guys - we sweat. (And although of course ladies don't sweat, some do also glow a little).

It can't be very appealing for ladies to see this guy approaching them to ask for a dance, when he looks as if he's just been in the shower with his clothes on, so has anyone found the perfect shirt - ie one that will allow that perspiration to immediately evaporate without leaving a sodden mass for our poor partner's hand to splunge into every time she touches us?:sorry

Personally, the best shirts I have had were cheap cotton ones that I got in a closing down sale - they would last for about half an hour of solid dancing before they took on the character of a loaded sponge. But they're now getting a bit shapeless - please don't say they now fit me better.

I also have a couple of shirts (one made by Kangol and a microfibre one made by Casual Club) that are pretty good at staying dry on the outside, but they achieve this by keeping the perspiration in, so they are a bit like wetsuits on the inside - nice and dry for my partner to dance with, though.

Another thing I have tried with some success is the double layer approach - an inside shirt (to get wet) and a looser outer shirt - makes me feel overdressed though.

So has anyone got an answer?

(Suspect I may not get quite as many requests for a dance after this email, so at least I'll get the chance to sit out and cool down - or change my shirt!!!)

The Oracle
    The best shirts I've found are Greg Norman golf shirts. They do a range that are designed to breathe, but don't feel wet to the touch. I find they last about twice as long as normal cotton shirts.

David

As a norm I go thru 4 to 5 shirts a night

On a party night this goes up to 5 to 6

therefore a an authority on sweaty bloke syndrome

try the new range of microfibre shirts at ADSA

at £12 the do a good job, and are not a rip off

Try lycra ... I got my original one fomr River Island 2 yaers ago and it still works well.

M&S occaisioanly bring out lycra 'vests' which are far cheaper but also seem to perform well.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is interesting that the women on the forum have stayed clear of the subject...
    It would be interesting on your perspective though... Does Lycra feel nicer than cotton or polyester???
    Are they all the same when wet anyway...

Are we deluding ourselves, and should we stick to (no pun intended) changing shirts as often as possible. :sorry

Then again, maybe it is better not to know :sorry

Franck.

Sweaty Bloke Syndrome

OK - here's the token female response to this thread... Personally I'm not that fussed about what men wear and whether they sweat or not. Though the odd kilted outing would get most girls votes...

My personal gripes are:

1) Personal hygiene - sweaty is fine but smelly is most definitely not...
    2) Vests - UUUUUGGGGGHHHH
    Real vests (i.e the ones without arms) are the single biggest turn off to us girls. Trust me - we might not say it but this is a commonly expressed opinion.

Amanda

Blog Entries

Re: Sweaty Bloke Syndrome

Originally posted by Amanda
    My personal gripes are:

1) Personal hygiene - sweaty is fine but smelly is most definitely not...
    Real vests (i.e the ones without arms) are the single biggest turn off to us girls. Trust me - we might not say it but this is a commonly expressed opinion.

Amanda
    Hi Amanda,

Does that mean that when a man wears a kilt and a vest (Like the porridge man in the adverts), the 2 cancel each other out?

Franck.

MMMmmmm...does that include thermal longjohns wiv catflap at the back??
    Damn!!..I'll need to rethink me wardrobe....lol

Hehehehe
    Fox

Kilted men

Franck

The difference with the porridge man is that he is a gorgeous hunk....

Blog Entries

Re: Kilted men

Originally posted by Amanda
    Franck

The difference with the porridge man is that he is a gorgeous hunk....
    Fair enough, I just wanted to clarify, it is not so much the vest you would be objecting to, but what's underneath...

Franck.

Fair enough, I just wanted to clarify, it is not so much the vest you would be objecting to, but what's underneath...
    Now Franck, I couldn't possibly comment....

I know the answer to that !

Kilt and a hairy

chest! apparently

if the rumours are true!

regards
    jonmac

Damn - that's the cat well and truly out of the bag now. :p

B.T.C.
    well I can't let this continue without some comment

I clearly have a malfunctioning heating system as I don't often have to change at all unless the air conditioning is off and the room is very hot as happens at O'Donoghues, Dundee and occasionally at Marcos. I know some folk ( certainly some women) change several times, not because they are hot and sweaty but because they want to have different outfits.

As for vests......I know some women don't like them......but I will definitely reserve the right to wear one if and when I choose ! I have worn some at classes and workshops and they can be very cool. I've had this discussion with a couple of women and some have said they don't mind but a few have agreed with Amanda. My answer was this is very sexist as many women wear tops that are more or less vests and little strappy numbers because they are cool and nice to wear. So why do we not have the same rights ???

I did and at times still feel a bit self conscious about wearing one but as I shouldn't really care what most folk think .....and I certainly wouldn't dream of making a comment about another man or woman's outfit........... I should be able to wear one without it being an issue. I'm also lucky that a couple of the women I really enjoy dancing with - here and in England - actually like some men in vests. And they weren't just being kind

Given that we are all different shapes, sizes, ages, fitness levels etc.... then it's not surprising that some dancers need to change more often than others. As has been said I htink as long as we are all clean and fresh when we start the night then nobody should object if after several hours of dancing we are all hot and sweaty. Just shows we are all having fun.........ad that's why we keep doing it

Extreme sport??

Ref suitable tops for the more energetic

Having equated Ceroc to an endurance sport and hence to running, I tend to raid the running shops. Can't say they have too much choice in Aberdeen but at least the tops - sleeveless or other wise, are designed for this kind of job and seem to work quite well. They do get a bit damp but not what I'd call unpleasant - someone might want to correct me on that point.

Choice of colour etc is limited though unless you go into the sleeveless stuff which to my taste seems to be too colourful and touches on another debate.

As for changing shirts so many times a night. Have tried that but found they did little if anything to reduce the moisture problem. It even seemed to make things worse for me. The new one would be almost as moist as the previous one within minutes, as though the new one was too warm, hence more moisture there and then.

Ian

Re: Sweat Shirts

Nike make shirts with technical material called "Dri-Fit". I have found that these are by far the best items of clothing I have to keep me comfortable in hot sweaty conditions.

Well Done Will, only two years out of date

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

but he's still topical

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Nike make shirts with technical material called "Dri-Fit". I have found that these are by far the best items of clothing I have to keep me comfortable in hot sweaty conditions.
    I've got an Adidas "London Marathon" T-Shirt made with somethin called "Climalite" which I think is something similar. The best bit was that it only cost me £5 in the outlet centre at Swindon. Unfortunately they've never had any others when I've been in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    I've got an Adidas "London Marathon" T-Shirt made with somethin called "Climalite" which I think is something similar. The best bit was that it only cost me £5 in the outlet centre at Swindon. Unfortunately they've never had any others when I've been in there.
    If it is the same stuff I'll be very annoyed. The Nike Dri-Fit shirts cost me £25 each!

Thread Information