Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dancing Advice

The Oracle

Re: Dancing Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    When can/should you ask for advice?
    I've made the following suggestion before, but it was just brushed off as a joke. I'm pretty thick-skinned, so I'll try again...
    Get together a small group of the best leaders & followers at a venue. Give them T-shirts that say "Blitz/Ceroc/Leroc (delete as applicable) Teaching Assistant". Then during the intermediate class their job is to give people unsolicited advice. Make sure everyone else in the class knows that they will do this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Get together a small group of the best leaders & followers at a venue. Give them T-shirts that say "Blitz/Ceroc/Leroc (delete as applicable) Teaching Assistant". Then during the intermediate class their job is to give people unsolicited advice. Make sure everyone else in the class knows that they will do this.
    You know, I think I like this. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I'm sure it would encourage more newer intermediates to feel happier about joining in, and have fewer unrotating nervous couples at the back ... And, you never know, it may even get people dancing better!

I'll leave others to raise the inevitable concerns and potential problems - how to choose the best dancers without offending others, etc etc etc. (I'm going to cop out now and get back to work)
    Rachel

Just another quickie -
    Alternatively, couldn't we just have more taxi dancers at every venue, so there's enough to help out in the intermediate class, in addition to those taking the beginners' refresher?
    R.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I like Davids idea but the ensuing fights started by the extremely thin-skinned people on the receiving end of advice can be discouraged if the t-shirted advice givers are armed with Tazers. s0rted. no flaws

some possible conversations :

'er.. excuse me, can I suggest you try NOT to drop a lady without looking to see if her head will land between the legs of some other dancer'
    '**** off mate Ive been dancing since I was 6'
    'ZAP!'

'Ive noticed you have a weak lead problem - this lady is confused'
    'No, shes resting..'
    'I assure you Sir, she is confused'
    'No, No. Look at the beautiful plummage'
    'Her dress sense doesn't enter into it Sir. Shes confused'
    'Look I...'
    'ZAP!'
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 12th-October-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    What I mean is, is it ever right to ask teachers for advice when they're 'off-duty'?
    Personally, I think that if they taught a class, then they are "on-duty" until they exit the building. But I'm not a teacher or franchisee.
    If they just so happen to be attending another class/night where they are not teaching, then I would treat them as any other respected dancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Good idea; as long as they take the t-shirts off after the class (Perhaps arm bands would work better?)
    The only problems I can see would be similar to selection of Taxi dancers, and that seems to work.

I wouldn't necissaraly have off-duty taxis dancers - just a selection of four or five people decided (offered to) on the night.

If people wanted to 'opt out' of criticism, then they just indicate this as soon as they are rotated to a "teaching assistant". Same if they are having troubles with a particular move.

The only problem I can see would be disruption while the TA took their partner over a bit that didn't match what the rest of the class was doing.

I think Taxi dancers have a seperate skill set to those the "Teaching Assistants" DavidB suggests would require. Also, during freestyle, "assistants" would focus on dancing with, and giving advice to, intermediates, whereas taxis focus on dancing with, and giving advice to, beginners.

Still, "Teaching Assistants" is a bit formal: perhaps "Minicabs"?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    it's no wonder beginner and early intermediate guys get so confused, and with bad habits ingrained. They dance and lead badly, and are told, or led to believe that they're doing fine.

Chris
    I know I'm guilty of this the trouble is, I just want to encourage and say nice things

I was dancing with a beginner recently and I KNOW I was compensating a lot for his bad leading. I was also making bits up and gently pulling him back in time with the music.
    At the end of the dance, he said to me, I really feel like I'm getting the hang of it now, I can dance really well with you but some girls, just can't follow!
    I took a deep breath, then thought better of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Limo's, surely?
    Last edited by Lory; 12th-October-2004 at 03:11 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Limo's, surely?
    It depends if you are sleek and beautifully upholstered

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    It depends if you are sleek and beautifully upholstered
    OK then

School buses?

Stretched Hummers?

Rickshaws?

Tuk-tuks?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I think Taxi dancers have a seperate skill set to those the "Teaching Assistants" DavidB suggests would require. Also, during freestyle, "assistants" would focus on dancing with, and giving advice to, intermediates, whereas taxis focus on dancing with, and giving advice to, beginners.

I have often thought there is a place for second level taxi dancers who offer advice to intermediates rather than work with beginners. Someone suggested to me last year that I should develop this skill.

I don't know of ceroc franchises that have second level taxis

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    At the end of the dance, he said to me, I really feel like I'm getting the hang of it now, I can dance really well with you but some girls, just can't follow!
    I blamed the girls too at one time . In fact until not all that long ago, every time I achieved any improvement, I found myself starting to blame them again when things went wrong - cos I'd got my lead sorted out, hadn't I???

Duhhh.... yeah right

[smacks head on spike]

Now what happens is that every time I get a bit better again, I know that pretty soon I'll realise how (not if) it's still my fault when it goes wrong.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jon L
    I have often thought there is a place for second level taxi dancers who offer advice to intermediates rather than work with beginners. Someone suggested to me last year that I should develop this skill.

I don't know of ceroc franchises that have second level taxis
    Last week I asked a taxi to dance with me and give me some feedback/tips (I'm sort of intermeditate level). She did, and it was REALLY useful. But I felt I might be breaking some sort of protocol - are taxi dancers there only for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Last week I asked a taxi to dance with me and give me some feedback/tips (I'm sort of intermeditate level). She did, and it was REALLY useful. But I felt I might be breaking some sort of protocol - are taxi dancers there only for beginners?
    Good on you I would carry on asking for advice - the official "ceroc" line is that your a beginner if you have done 6 lessons or less. In practice it took me over two years before becoming a competant intermediate and three years before smoothness developed. The taxis should offer the intermediates advice (as did one at Guildford to me around the same time).
    Last edited by Jon L; 12th-October-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Well, I always think if I'm taxiing that, if it's a quiet week for beginners, then I would be more useful dancing with intermediates, than not at all - I'm talking particularly about newer intermediates.

But I'll talk/dance with anyone who has questions, wants to go over a move, etc, as long as I'm not neglecting the beginners. And there's always time at the end of the evening when we're off duty, to ask taxi's for tips/feedback. So no, I don't think taxi's are there exclusively for beginners, although they're obviously our priority.
    Rachel

There's always time at the end of the evening when we're off duty, to ask taxi's for tips/feedback
    But... aren't you off duty? It feels like that would be like asking a teacher when they're at some other venue...

But... aren't you off duty? It feels like that would be like asking a teacher when they're at some other venue...
    Well, yes, we are. But don't let that stop you.

I would be very surprised if you could find many taxi dancers that would be unwilling to help people of any level, whether they're on duty or not.

Actually it's great when people ask for help - beginners or intermediates - you can be sure they genuinely want to learn.

And (contrary to the image that the few bad apples sometimes put out, by just dancing amongst themselves or other friends - whether on duty or not, judging from some people's experience )...

... it is in fact a source of pleasure to be able to help people if they're experiencing difficulties. So even if we've changed out of the shirt, I'd still encourage people to come up and ask. Or just ask for a dance, and ask during the dance.

Chris

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    ... it is in fact a source of pleasure to be able to help people if they're experiencing difficulties. So even if we've changed out of the shirt, I'd still encourage people to come up and ask. Or just ask for a dance, and ask during the dance.

Chris
    Totally agree - you don't stop being a taxi dancer just because you've taken your taxi shirt off
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Taxi dancers are selected (primaraly) for their love of dancing and eagerness to pass it on; they generally are the sort of people that would be glad to offer advice if asked, no matter when or what they are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Taxi dancers are selected (primarily) for their love of dancing and eagerness to pass it on; they generally are the sort of people that would be glad to offer advice if asked, no matter when or what they are wearing.

Careful... it looks like I'm agreeing with you again.

I absolutely agree with Chris, Sheena and Gadget. I'd never ever mind someone asking me for advice - no matter what level they were or where/when it was. It's very flattering, actually. I can't think many people would want my advice, but that's not the point!

The difference I see between that and asking a teacher when they're at a different venue is that a lot of teachers have to make at least part of their living from teaching. They need you to come to their lessons and, if someone wanted personal feedback, they should perhaps pay for the teacher's expertise by attending workshops and private lessons.

However, if any teacher happens to feel like giving me some free personal feedback on my dancing, please please do!!!
    Rachel

Thread Information