Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dancing Advice

Dancing Advice

I was dancing at Hammersmith last night with some dancers who had been dancing about a year or so. At the end of the track I said to them. "That's really good could we dance one more, but try to think about keeping your hands steady?...........
    I HATE it when a lead I have never met before tells me how to follow - every leader has his own style and anyway YOU are the one who is leading therefore a follower should not have bouncy hands if the lead is not there

IMO Advice on dancing should only be given
    • when asked

• by your own dance instructor

• from personal friends who are better dancers than yourself

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: Dancing Advice

For me it depends on my level of dancing compared to the other person and the attitude with which the advice is given. There is only one person who has given me advice in a manner that annoyed me and made me unhappy about my dancing, and it wasn't in MJ. But I'm still a beginner (sorry, that's Trampy's line, Ok, still in the early learning stages...) and I value advice on my dancing as I find it helpful... as long as its given in the right circumstances and with the right attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    I HATE it when a lead I have never met before tells me how to follow - every leader has his own style and anyway YOU are the one who is leading therefore a follower should not have bouncy hands if the lead is not there

IMO Advice on dancing should only be given
    • when asked

• by your own dance instructor

• from personal friends who are better dancers than yourself
    Sorry Minnie, but I have to disagree with you there.

I often get "unsolicited" feedback and am more than happy to receive it. Whether or not I do anything with that feedback is a different matter.

A person generally gives feedback for a number of reasons:

1 - To help you
    2 - To improve their own dance experience with you
    3 - To show off
    4 - Because they can't dance and are blaming you for it

I always assume 1 or 2 in which case the feedback is welcome. If 3 then, if I think they are a great dancer, the feedback is again welcome. If 4, I just say thank you and totally ignore them.

Hmmmmmm........

I did say leads I have NEVER met before.

I still think it is impolite to comment on your partners dance in freestyle dancing if you have never met before.

Another gripe of mine, is a lead talking a move through to you before doing it - my philosophy is "If it ain't leadable - Don't lead it" - once again this refers to freestyle dancing, not during a class.

PS: Just had a luffffffly PM from a really good dancer - who said he sometime asks his partner to look at him and smile more that is the kind of comment I think we would all like, it proves that your partner is, or wants to, enjoy the dance with YOU and would also help your dancing

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

this refers to freestyle dancing, not during a class.
    The one that gets to me is when, in the middle of a fab track, the guy leads something, you follow his lead but it doesn't end up where he thought it should, he then stops dancing to "teach" you the move that you obviously don't know
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another gripe of mine, is a lead talking a move through to you before doing it
    I know one guy who gives a full running commentary, on how 'one' should be dancing. He shouts instructions, like 'slowly now', 'walk walk walk', 'little steps now', etc.

I know it drives some of my friends crazy and some even avoid him but I have to be honest, I find it quite amusing (though I doubt it's supposed to be amusing )
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I know one guy who gives a full running commentary
    Was he at the BFG Lory? I danced with one gentleman, I don't know him and it's the first time we've danced, who proceeded to tell me "And this is a dip" as he did a seducer and lowered me gently.
    I'm not sure he was aware he was doing it and we did have a lovely dance
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena
    Was he at the BFG Lory?
    No he wasn't but I seemed to remember a guy like that at the BFG.

The guy I'm talking about is different, he get's really passionate and almost shouts commands but I forgot to mention he's also is full of praise if you've performed to his liking!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thank you girls - was beginning to think I was the only one who feels irritated by "I know better than you" dancers

I know my dancing has lots of room for improvement and, I have asked in the past and still do, ask my dancing mentors where I am going wrong, or if they have tips for me, and in return would only offer advice during a class or in the class freestyle after - never in a Social Freestyle.

IMHO Weekend socials are for enjoyment - whatever level of dancing you are at - enjoy and have fun, don't risk upsetting your partner with unrequested and sometimes unwanted help

PS: Compliments are ALWAYS welcome

--ooOoo--

I think as Lynn says, Minnie, it's more about the manner in which the "advice/feedback" is given - but I agree, at a freestyle night just go, dance and have fun. If something doesn't work out as it was supposed to - do something else

I think as Lynn says, Minnie, it's more about the manner in which the "advice/feedback" is given - but I agree, at a freestyle night just go, dance and have fun. If something doesn't work out as it was supposed to - do something else
    Actually, I was dancing with a lot of people last night that I had never met before and there were numerous occassions where things went wrong.

This is mainly because, the girls where I usually dance have come to know my dance style and recognise the lead as given. However this can often mean that the lead becomes weak and so when I dance with complete strangers it doesn't work.

In every case I would always say, "Oops. Sorry. Bad lead." and in all but one case the girl wanted to try it again to see if we could get it right.

In each case, I improved my lead and we got it there.

In other cases, the girl has asked me if I know a certain move because it is "her favourite". Whenever this happens, I get an impromptu lesson on the dance floor and really enjoy it.

You can never have enough dance moves and if my partner likes that move then all the more reason to learn it.

I suppose feedback isn't really the word for this - more, teamwork.

I think as Lynn says, Minnie, it's more about the manner in which the "advice/feedback" is given......
    true, even when your pride is dented

--ooOoo--

Sal

true, even when your pride is dented
    I have been getting a lot of unsolicted advice recently. I am not sure how my dancing is doing after it, but my confidence is at an all time low.

I HATE it when a lead I have never met before tells me how to follow [...] Anyway, YOU are the one who is leading therefore a follower should not have bouncy hands if the lead is not there.
    Some women hand bounce by default, to varying degrees. Would you like to dance with a guy who allowed you so little freedom you don't even get a say in the level of hand bounce? Or with a guy who concentrated on suppressing hand bouncing to the exclusion of, say, floorcraft?

My father once told me: "don't accept responsibility without power". I'm happy to take some responsibility for suppressing my partner's flaws, if that's what she wants, provided that it comes with the power to give her unsolicited advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Some women hand bounce by default, to varying degrees.....
    Hand bounce by default sounds like 'Back Leading' to me

Would you like to dance with a guy who allowed you so little freedom you don't even get a say...........
    Freedom do you mean the "pushing and Shoving" style

IMHO
    If the follower is NOT following, then she needs some help to do so, such as a "Lead & Follow" type workshop, or some help from her local dance teacher or taxi dancer

If the lead needs to force a move, he ain't doing it right or must realise the follower has the above problem and therefore, needs to be a little more patient

--ooOoo--

Another gripe of mine, is a lead talking a move through to you before doing it - my philosophy is "If it ain't leadable - Don't lead it" - once again this refers to freestyle dancing, not during a class.
    I can't learn to lead moves during a standard Ceroc-style class, because the women all stop following and take up line dancing (compare earlier gripe). If I'm going to learn to lead, I'm going to have to do it in freestyle. That entails challenging myself to lead moves that I currently find unleadable. Where appropriate, it also entails using verbal leads, signals, talking to my partner, etc, until I can lead the move well enough to manage without.

I can't learn to lead moves during a standard Ceroc-style class, because the women all stop following and take up line dancing (compare earlier gripe). If I'm going to learn to lead, I'm going to have to do it in freestyle. That entails challenging myself to lead moves that I currently find unleadable. Where appropriate, it also entails using verbal leads, signals, talking to my partner, etc, until I can lead the move well enough to manage without.
    I find this hugely variable, and why I like the rotation system. Some women wait and follow my (inept) lead. Others are clearly walking thought the move without me, and all sorts of steps inbetween. Leading the move after the class is no giveaway wether or not I can lead the new move 'cause its recognised and followed/back lead. Only at a different venue, or weeks later can I tell if I got it, by leading the move to a someone who didn't do the class, or has a worse memory than me.

I can't learn to lead moves during a standard Ceroc-style class......
    I symphathise Martin, as I am often the lead in the class line-up and yes, a lot of ladies think they should back lead the move and not relax and let the lead LEAD them......... however, if you can't follow the class moves, for whatever reason, isn't that what the taxi dancers are there for

BTW - Check out LilyB's post on the thread you mention (compare earlier gripe) - she is one of the best followers (if not the best) on our MJ scene
    Last edited by Minnie M; 10th-October-2004 at 05:59 PM.

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    The guy I'm talking about is different, he get's really passionate and almost shouts commands but I forgot to mention he's also is full of praise if you've performed to his liking!
    With reference to another thread, Heaven only knows what this guy is like in bed!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    With reference to another thread, Heaven only knows what this guy is like in bed!

Thread Information