Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Freestyle Nights

Re: Christmas Freestyle Nights

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    One thing that stands out to me about Christmas freestyle nights is the price. Some of the nights seem like good value. They're in the usual venue, offer later opening or mince pies or some other delicacy and are asking for an extra pound or two.
    Andy, I think its a case of supply and demand. The brutal truth is that its a time of the year when organisers CAN charge more and, as long as they dont charge silly prices like some of those you've illustrated, I think the general public accept that.

For the North, the standard fee is £7 for a freetsyle with £10 being teh going rate for the Xmas parties. As most of our events are already on till midnight, there is little point in adding additional freetsyle (most of our dancers seem to lie the midnight finish). However, all the venues make an extra effort with decoration and prizes etc. to help the party mood. Its good to see that most of the London prices are similar to the prices for us poor improverished Northerners.

Re: Chipping Sodbury - 11 Dec

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    I've been invited by non-forumite (yet ) friends to a Leroc 2000 Black & Red Ball at Chipping Sodbury, this Saturday, 11th Dec. Given that I'm based in London and may not know anyone else, are any other forumites going?

R-K
    I’m intrigued why is it called Leroc 2000 aren't they a bit late ? Or is that there name , i am not trying to be funny

And before you say it costs more because of the special date, take a look at those dates. They're not New Years Day, Christmas Day or a Bank Holiday, they're just a date in December - maybe the Ashtons date is a bit more special being between the two festivities so I might be wrong in my calculation of the cost of fairy cakes.
    Berkhampstead is £35 for New years eve that looks steep but maybe its the cost of the hall. Is it wrong for them to make money, its still 'cheap' relatively.

Windsor use to do 'something in a hotel' for about £40 but I see they are back on the £10. They use to do food as well on their xmas night but seem to run out each year so maybe that’s why they don’t do it now In fact they use to have food /bouncy castle bucking broncos type things all in the leisure centre ! Happy days

One thing that stands out to me about Christmas freestyle nights is the price.
    Ah Andy,

Buy yourself a copy of "Dirty Dancing 2" for £12 and use your free voucher to get in to the Ceroc night of your choice -- there's no exemption clauses, or use by date on it

So, I reckon you could save yourself some cash and have a stocking filler ready for a dancing chum.

SpinDr.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Buy yourself a copy of "Dirty Dancing 2" for £12 and use your free voucher to get in to the Ceroc night of your choice -- there's no exemption clauses, or use by date on it
    I would *so* like to see someone try to get away with that at the most expensive Ceroc night we can find...

J

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    I would *so* like to see someone try to get away with that at the most expensive Ceroc night we can find...
    Why?

When it comes to pricing, many aspects can influence the increase. Typically, the venue will charge more in December (right through) because they tend to be busier with Office Parties etc...

At Ceroc Scotland, all regular venues will remain at the same price (despite finishing later than normal), except the Stirling White Christmas Party on Thursday 23rd December which will be £10.00.
    The increase in that case is due to the cost of the fabulous Albert Halls and of course a very late night finish (2.00am ). By the time I add all the extra Christmas treats and surprises, I reckon I'll be out of pocket anyway, but well worth it as it should be a storming party

Ultimately, supply and demand will rule and as long as hundreds of people want to attend a dance then the organizers might as well make a bit more money.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Re: Chipping Sodbury - 11 Dec

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    I've been invited by non-forumite (yet ) friends to a Leroc 2000 Black & Red Ball at Chipping Sodbury, this Saturday, 11th Dec. Given that I'm based in London and may not know anyone else, are any other forumites going?

R-K
    Lou is I am sure - I am off to the Ball at Weston Super Mare though! Unfortunately, they clashed this year, but I believe they are both sell outs, or nearly so!

Have fun if you go - and if you don't have fun anyway!

Elaine

Commercial Operator

27th December
    Ceroc London
    Ashtons B&W Ball
    Costs £20

Normal Cost £7
    What do you get for the extra £13? - Champagne and fairy cakes

Andy, please get your facts right first.
    The ticket price was £10 in October, £15 in Nov & £20 in Dec

We have Champagne and lots of canapes between 8 - 9.30pm
    There is a palmist walking round then reading fortunes.
    There is another "hired" game
    Plus coffee, fruit and cakes at midnight. There are 2 DJ's playing until 2am (probably later - last year they finished at 3.30am)
    The venue is fully decorated with gas filled balloons and there will also be a photographer there
    Anything else you'd like?

In my book that's extremely good value for £10 if you got your act into gear and bought a ticket in October.

(Just to add the venue costs me over £1500 to hire at XMas time - work that one out - theres not much profit!)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo
    Andy, please get your facts right first.
    The ticket price was £10 in October, £15 in Nov & £20 in Dec
    I thought I had my facts right. I posted this in December, the price in December is £20.

Which "fact" did I get wrong?

So, if you can get the tickets in October for £10 why does the price double in December? I can see no reason at all

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo
    Anything else you'd like?
    I would love to have a dance

Re: Northwich Christmas Freestyle Night

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Well ... still recovering from our Saturday night event. The crew did a great effort in to do the venue up ... it looked great and we had a sold out house ... 240 dancers (we had about 30 last minute phone calls for tickets AFTER we posted the SOLD OUT signs!) Even had a royal visitation, the Oracle and Lily came ... rumour has it that DaveB actualy managed a comlete spin ... though it did take him a whole track to complete it. Great to see other forumites there ... including DavidY, RoyBoy and others whos names I've forgotten ( ).
    And a brilliant night it was too! Great venue, fab floor, cool music (but room for improvement on the WCS front ), such a friendly crowd (I barely got to sit down ) and wonderful hospitality from the ODA himself and his venue manager Sheena, as well as from our hosts for the night, Mike and Sue

Hope to be making our way up north again soon!

LilyB

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    ....... the Stirling White Christmas Party on Thursday 23rd December which will be £10.00.
    The increase in that case is due to the cost of the fabulous Albert Halls and of course a very late night finish (2.00am ). By the time I add all the extra Christmas treats and surprises, I reckon I'll be out of pocket anyway, but well worth it as it should be a storming party
    Wish I was going!!!

Ceroc DJ

One thing that stands out to me about Christmas freestyle nights is the price. Some of the nights seem like good value. They're in the usual venue, offer later opening or mince pies or some other delicacy and are asking for an extra pound or two. Whereas others seem to be cashing in on the whole Christmas thing. Here's a few examples;
    19th December
    Ceroc Metro
    Chigwell Party
    Cost £12

Normal Costs £7
    What do you get for the extra £5? - 1 hour freestyle
    [Adam Nathanson Mode On]
    Sorry to pull you up on this Andy, but Adam would never forgive me - especially as he is only on dialup out ther in NZ !
    The CerocMetro Xmas Ball is now in its 11th year ... includes nibbles, mince pies, bubbly and a cabaret / fun thing ... I believe this year we may be seeing someone perform from the Jivemasters final! So its not just an extra hour dancing you get for your money(even if its Tezi & myself Djing )

Just so you know, the Ball usually sells out 75% in the first 24 hours ... last year (or th year before - can't remember which) they sold out completely in 48 hours !
    [Nathanson Mode Off - Regular Spelling Mode Back On - Mutually Exclusive Modes]

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    [Adam Nathanson Mode On]
    Sorry to pull you up on this Andy, but Adam would never forgive me - especially as he is only on dialup out ther in NZ !
    The CerocMetro Xmas Ball is now in its 11th year ... includes nibbles, mince pies, bubbly and a cabaret / fun thing ... I believe this year we may be seeing someone perform from the Jivemasters final! So its not just an extra hour dancing you get for your money(even if its Tezi & myself Djing )

Just so you know, the Ball usually sells out 75% in the first 24 hours ... last year (or th year before - can't remember which) they sold out completely in 48 hours !
    [Nathanson Mode Off - Regular Spelling Mode Back On - Mutually Exclusive Modes]
    Thank you for putting me right. £5 extra for mince pies, nibbles, cabaret (fun thing - ooh er missus) and an extra hour of freestyle is IMHO good value.

But it does make the £13 extra for Ashtons look even more expensive. I know it's all down to supply and demand, but I wonder if they'd have charged £20 in December if they'd been up against a similar dance at Hipsters ...

So, if you can get the tickets in October for £10 why does the price double in December? I can see no reason at all
    No, silly, it didn't double in December, it was halved in October.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    No, silly, it didn't double in December, it was halved in October.

Of course, how silly of me.

All I need to do now is go back to October and post - then I'll be wrong and silly

.. when I go back to October I'll take the winning lottery numbers for November with me and become a millionaire - or I could just charge £20 pounds for a dance

What's the problem Andy?

If you don't think that it's a fair price, then don't go. Simple. Why bother keeping on banging a drum about it? And if everyone thought that way, then no-one would go, and they'd have to reduce their prices or cancel the night.

It's still a cheaper night out than most non-dancing events that are on around Christmas time I think. And you get to dance too. Sounds like a bargain to me.
    Last edited by Savant; 7th-December-2004 at 10:54 AM.

Commercial Operator

Post Re: Christmas Freestyle Nights

Thank you for putting me right. £5 extra for mince pies, nibbles, cabaret (fun thing - ooh er missus) and an extra hour of freestyle is IMHO good value.

But it does make the £13 extra for Ashtons look even more expensive. I know it's all down to supply and demand, but I wonder if they'd have charged £20 in December if they'd been up against a similar dance at Hipsters ...
    Absolutely, clashing with any other event has no effect on Ashton's but in any event I have no choice because of my costs (I'll send you the spreadsheet if you'd like - it was actually £1850 I paid for the venue last year). The £10 in October was the cheapest I could make it for those that bought early. And as I've sold 250 tickets a lot of people obviously did. And anyway it's was a fabulous event last year and will be this year - worth every penny - whatever the ticket has cost.
    p.s I went to a ball in Bmth the other day (without free food and drink) for £17.50 (just 1 band)

And if you want to come I'll do you a special deal (to be discussed in a PM), just so you can see how fab it will be and how not smokey it will be and of course I'd love that dance too

p.s All teachers are free and all taxi dancers are £5
    Last edited by lindyloo; 7th-December-2004 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant
    And you get to dance too. Sounds like a bargain to me.
    Oops. Actually meant to say....

And you get to dance WITH LORY too. Sounds like a fantastic deal to me.

(Thanks for the rep Lory)
    Last edited by Savant; 7th-December-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Don't you just hate it, when the forum is moving slowly. So, you click back before it tells you that you've posted. So that you can change something.

And then send it again. Only to find out that you've double posted!

Thread Information