Thread: MAd. Competiton categories

Talking MAd. Competiton categories

For example, how about a "Weird music" category, where competitors would be challenged to dance to a very unusual track / beat... and judged on how well they improvised and interpreted the track! This I would enter as a teacher, and would get great satisfaction from!
    Thought this deserved a whole new thread. As Keith said, people are coming forward with new ideas on divisions etc, without much thought as to who judges, who polices competitors, who's gonna be upset as a a result....But i'd love to hear everyones ideas on a "what if" basis. Don't think about who's gonna judge, or who qualifies to enter...just use your imagination.
    Well we now know Franck has his heart set on a "Weird music" catergory. Sounds pretty funky to me but what about everyone else? Whats the MAd.dest catergory you'd love to see and compete in??

I'd like to see a division that is purely for fun. All entrants entering with a full knowledge that it's not to be taken too seriously...completely fun based and not giving a damn wether they came in first or last because at the end of the day they had great time doing it
    And how would i achieve this??....

Do a division where it's restricted to say 20 couples. Take entries as you would for the lucky dip....but only from 10 male teachers, 10 female teachers, 10 female students, and 10 male students.
    Pick 20 couples for them to dress as...ie: Fred and Wilma Flintstone, Austin Powers and Foxxy Cleopatra, etc. Send them out a character to dress up as with their lucky dip number......

"Female teacher number 1...you have been allocated Superwoman.Your partner on the day will be superman"
    "Male student number 6.....you have been allocated Superman. Your partner on the day will be superwoman"

End result?....20 couples consisting of 1 teacher and 1 student, both dressed in silly outfits and don't know who the heck they are dancing with until they find their "Mate" on the day

Ok. maybe a bit much, but wouldn't it be a laugh

filthycute MAd. x x

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    "swimwear"

much better idea

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    "swimwear"

much better idea
    Would Franck have to be excluded from this category, though?

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Graham
    Would Franck have to be excluded from this category, though?
    O•, watch it

Anyway, I would exclude myself, would really have to judge that one!
    This reminds me that for ages I have been planning a Ceroc Beach party! It seems unlikely with the weather we have been getting recently but once Summer is back...

Franck.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: MAd. Competiton categories

Originally posted by filthycute
    Well we now know Franck has his heart set on a "Weird music" catergory. Sounds pretty funky to me but what about everyone else? Whats the MAd.dest catergory you'd love to see and compete in??
    he he the MAd. one strikes again
    The idea of weird music comes from a long time ago (10+ years), when Jean (Harris) and I used to practise for our newly opened Glasgow class, in the kitchen of her flat, dancing the Beginners moves to Radio 3 music! Surprisingly it was not as bad / impossible as it may sound
    After all, we are modern Jive and (allegedly) we can dance to any music with a beat... How about musical interpretation to Swan lake, though maybe we should avoid the Nutcracker

For more MAd. ideas, I reckon a dance on Roller blades Category should be a must

Or maybe an inebriated category, along the lines of drinking games, every time you get through to the next stage, you have to drink a couple of strong drinks and change partner... I reckon this would make for a very "interesting" and certainly entertaining final!!!

Franck.

New Categories

I've been wondering for a while what partner-partner dancing would be like;
    What I mean is that two couples interchanging their partners during the dance. Throw in a bit of 'double trouble' and it could be very entertaining. I think that this would be more of a show case - too hard to improvise.

For those familiar with ceilidh's, how about a "hooligan's jig" category - Sort of like musical chairs, with partners: a chaotic lucky dip.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    A few more partners and you be able to dance Rueda. Where you have a circle of dancers who all change partners when the caller calls the move. great fun.

Don't do it with Bill Foreman, he takes every single girl for himself . (Based on the 'all girls jump on Bill' call from the boogienights weekend )

Blog Entries
    A few more partners and you be able to dance Rueda. Where you have a circle of dancers who all change partners when the caller calls the move. great fun.
    That does sound fun - plus it would be an excellent test of leading/following ability.

As far as silly ones go - what about a Musical Statues category, where the DJ stops the music at a random time, and the dancers try to hold a pose without falling over.

Or a category where women get to lead, and men to follow....

Don't do it with Bill Foreman, he takes every single girl for himself . (Based on the 'all girls jump on Bill' call from the boogienights weekend )
    Did something similar to this when i was in Nantwich. They had a fun lucky dip competition. You danced half a track with your partner then when the judge shouted move, you just found any available man and carried on dancing. It was great fun

filthycute x x

Originally posted by Franck
    O•, watch it

Anyway, I would exclude myself, would really have to judge that one!
    This reminds me that for ages I have been planning a Ceroc Beach party! It seems unlikely with the weather we have been getting recently but once Summer is back...

Franck.
    OK i'm sure i've asked this before...but when are you going to have a Pjama party? Thats one dance i'd love to be at

filthycute x x

Originally posted by filthycute
    OK i'm sure i've asked this before...but when are you going to have a Pjama party? Thats one dance i'd love to be at

filthycute x x
    Good idea, but kind of begs the question of what would be worn by those who sleep au naturel????

Au Naturel?????

:sorry It doesn't bear thinking about!!!!!!!!!
    Then again we might all get a good laugh!!!!!!!!

Heather

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    how many of us actually OWN a pair of pyjamas anyway ?

I still think swimwear was the best idea. Not that Im obsessed or anything.

swimwear.

hmm.

swimwear.

Thread Information