Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intro of New Categories.

Originally posted by Rachel
    Oh... thanks, Graham - that makes me feel a whole lot better! Think I'll stick to watching at Blackpool!
    :sorry Sorry Rachel - just reread my post and realised that it didn't really come across as intended. What I meant to say was that you were easily a good enough dancer to hold your own in the competition.

Anyway, when are you coming back to Glasgow so I can grovel in person?

insult everyone at one go Graham

Originally posted by Graham

I haven't been to Blackpool, but certainly on Sunday there were worse dancers than you in the lucky dip
    Graham,
    Not only did you manage to insult Rachel, but also many of the dancers in the lucky dip on Sunday.

All of the people who were unfortunate enough not to get past the first round (ahem yes I was one of them ) will also be expecting a full apology and some serious grovelling!!:reallymad :reallymad

Grant

PS - Just kidding. I know how easy it is for postings to have meanings you didn't intend.

Re: insult everyone at one go Graham

Originally posted by Grant

Graham,
    Not only did you manage to insult Rachel, but also many of the dancers in the lucky dip on Sunday.

All of the people who were unfortunate enough not to get past the first round (ahem yes I was one of them ) will also be expecting a full apology and some serious grovelling!!:reallymad :reallymad
    :sorry Let me unreservedly apologise to anyone I have unintentionally insulted, at any time, ever...[grovel]

Oh, sod that

Actually, it would only be insulting if you thought being "worse than Rachel" was some kind of poor standard - which of course it isn't, as I was originally unsuccessfully trying to convey

And just to be clear, I was also (quite rightly) summarily ejected from the lucky dip after the first round, so should I be grovelling to myself?

OK. Double-checked for insults . I wonder whose hate-list I've managed to get on this time?

:sorry Sorry Rachel - just reread my post and realised that it didn't really come across as intended. What I meant to say was that you were easily a good enough dancer to hold your own in the competition.

Anyway, when are you coming back to Glasgow so I can grovel in person?
    Ok Graham ... apology accepted and I'm smiling again now. But don't even begin to think that lets you off the grovelling!!!

Make sure you come and get me for a dance when I next see you ...
    Rachel

local bias

Hi keith, we talked on Thursday at Bowden about a dirty dancing section. You are probably correct about it being a speciality dance and not for everyone.
    On the question of local support for local dancers. I was at the last chance to dance competition where all the winners in all the categories were from down south. That didn't go down very well with 95% of the people watching, who were from up north. I am sure the crowd would have voted differently if they had had the chance to do so, even if the people who won, deserved to do so on their dance ability.
    Keep up the brilliant work

Jonathan

Re: Re: insult everyone at one go Graham

so should I be grovelling to myself?

Could you give us a demo on Wednesday? I'd like to see how you do that!

Grant

B.T.C.

Re: local bias

Originally posted by sexyjiver
    Hi keith, we talked on Thursday at Bowden about a dirty dancing section. You are probably correct about it being a speciality dance and not for everyone.

If you have one then let me know !!!!!!!!]

On the question of local support for local dancers. I was at the last chance to dance competition where all the winners in all the categories were from down south. That didn't go down very well with 95% of the people watching, who were from up north. I am sure the crowd would have voted differently if they had had the chance to do so, even if the people who won, deserved to do so on their dance ability.
    Jonathan
    Well that might be the case but it's amazing how fair the crowd can be. At the Scottish Comp both the winning couples ( Int & Advanced) received a great reception and however much the 'locals' might have wanted two Scots to win I htink they would have voted the same way !

Maybe winners are from the south because that's where most of the good dancers are ...........or could it be that some judges are from down south and more familiar with those dancers ( well not much from Gus so someone's got to stir things ! ).

The Oracle

Re: Re: local bias

I was at the last chance to dance competition where all the winners in all the categories were from down south.
    Australia is down south even for Londoners.

Originally posted by bill foreman
    ... and however much the 'locals' might have wanted two Scots to win ...
    If I went to any competition in Scotland, and the crowd didn't want the Scottish entries to win, I'd think I was in the wrong country!

Maybe winners are from the south because that's where most of the good dancers are
    I don't think you really believe that. There might be some very good dancers down south, but we don't have a monopoly on them.

(There was talk last year of establishing raiding parties to kidnap any good dancers from the north and bring them to London. The plan fell apart when the organisers realised they would have to venture outside of the M25...)

or could it be that some judges are from down south and more familiar with those dancers
    I think familiarity might help in the heats, especially if the judges have very little time to assess each couple. Of course a northern judge would be more familiar with the northern dancers...

David

Commercial Operator
    could it be that some judges are from down south and more familiar with those dancers.

On a serious note we have 1 Northern Judge, with what you can class as 6 Southern Judges.
    The 6 southern Judges, were chosen due to their experience, expertise & reputations.
    The Southern Judges are also from all over the South & mix, to a large degree in different dance circles.
    We had a lot of complimentary remarks, concerning the judging last year, other than the Double Trouble & the reason for that, was due to the girls, who danced fantastically well, did not show a definite lead & follow, which is obviously the hardest part of this particular dance. I'm sure if you ask Bill he will be able to advise in this area. All I know is I can't control 1 girl, never mind 2!!
    A lot of the dance teachers in the North either haven't danced as long as, or havenÕt got the same credentials & experience as our present judges.
    This does not however mean we would not consider changing any one of them, but why fix something; we feel does not need fixing.
    As stated, IÕm not sure how far South, Australia is, I suppose it depends upon which way you are flying? But IÕm sure John Sweeney & Bill do not consider themselves Southerners, along with Fiona & Vinnie Devin, nor would George from the Red Hot Chilli Jivers. This does however leave the Take a Chance & Intermediate catÕs & at the end of the day, they did drive a long way!
    Cheers
    Keith

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Keith
    We had a lot of complimentary remarks, concerning the judging last year, other than the Double Trouble & the reason for that, was due to the girls, who danced fantastically well, did not show a definite lead & follow, which is obviously the hardest part of this particular dance. I'm sure if you ask Bill he will be able to advise in this area. All I know is I can't control 1 girl, never mind 2!!
    Cheers
    Keith
    I certainly didn't have any complaints with the decisions - although I did feel one of the advanced couples who were not in the top three should have come second. But with any judging system there will be disagreement.

I can't control 2 women..............I just danc with two women who look great and dance wonderfully so that I can stand there and pretend I know what I'm doing.....and if you don't beleive me just ask the girls

On one serious note................ like any competition regardless of the judging criteria - and I've heard this said about ice skating - there is always the chance ( perhaps no more than that) that some judges are so familiar with the 'top' competitors that before the competition starts they have a good idea of who will compete and who is likely to win. I know that tehre are several excellent couples down south who compete a lot and who dance in the same venues - and often with some of the judges. So there could be a question mark over how unbiased anyone can be.

And it's not just the judges ! At the Scottish comp I realised I was looking at the couples I expected to do well because I knew most of the dancers already.

The one thing I've said before is that perhaps all judges shoudl be asked to declare an 'interest' in a couple if they have been involved in teaching or certainly 'training' any of the dances in a competition. At least if they declare it no-one can claim there was any bias. If it's not declared but people know it happens there will be chance of disquiet.

But I'm looking forward to Blackpool again and looks as if there will be hundreds of Scots thee this year!

sorry Bill, did you say there would be hundreds of Scottish entries in the next chance2dance competition? It is bad enough when us north west dancers are competing against the southerners, but we would stand no chance against the brilliant Scots. (lots of creeping. We are hoping to come to your 10th birthday bash). Looking forward to seeing the usual bunch from up your end at the next Pwllheli weekend in May.

Jonathan

Commercial Operator
    Hi Jonathan,
    Couldn't agree more.
    The competitions getting better & better.
    Will it end up more like the Internationals?
    We only need the Irish now, although Ray did put up a brave fight last year.
    Don't forget your banners, as the Welsh upstaged everybody last year, taking control of a quarter of the seating, plastering their flags all over!

Keith

B.T.C.
    . We are hoping to come to your 10th birthday bash).

Look forward to seeing you and any of your 'band' who make it ! :p

Looking forward to seeing the usual bunch from up your end at the next Pwllheli weekend in May.

Jonathan
    Ehm......... :sorry whose end are you referring to ??? I've never mad it down that way but would love to as I've heard it's great fun. Hope everything is good up your end as well then

Props

Inspired by the talk of handcuffs etc in other post {Inspired !? poss wrong choice of phrase }

How about a category to include props like a scarf or hat ? Perhaps this is venturing into the showcase cat. again...

Can't stop thinking on how to involve handcuffs in a dance now; I'm sure that a few ladies would come up with some origional ideas ~ esp if Elliot was their partner.

Commercial Operator
    Worry not, gadget...... Rachel will asort you out. She APPEARS to know of these things.

Teachers are only human too!

Time to enter this debate

Disclaimer: Sorry .. not taken time to read the 6 pages of previous posts ... White water rafting and cold beers bekon (not neccesarily in that order ... on second thoughts, maybe definitely in that order)

From my own limited perspective ... I can see no reason why teachers should not be in the same category as advanced ... because they ARE advanced dancers ... methinks this has the blinding weight of logic. If you are not an advanced dancer then don't compete against advanced dancers ... go in the intermediate section ... again this seems a SBO (statement of the Blindingly Obvious).

In all the recent competitions ... there has NOT been a great gap betwen the local advanced dancers and the winners, even at Blackpool. True, Clayton/Myers are ahead ... but they are catchable. The folowing pack is also well within grasp of the likes of Bill/Fran and dancers in the NWest. On what authority do I say that ... well 12 months ago I reckoned that, despite being a teacher, my dance standard was about good intermediate at best. 6 months ago (mostly due to the wonderful style of my partner Helen), we missed 3rd place in the Advanced section of the UK Open by 1 point ... ahead of the likes of Raymond, Sherif etc.

Thats is NOT to say I reckon we are any better ... just that on that day with those judges we got more points.

The next point is that if we can do it, so can most people ... its just a case of working at it ... OK... maybe a bit more to it than that but if you get a partner with whom you feel your styles meld and you get enough timne to dance together ... then competing in the Advanced section is a real possibility.

So .... I my humble opinion , advanced section should be open to ALL advanced dancers ... and those that think the existing advanced dancers are too good have two choices .... either put in the same amount of hardwork as the current advanced dancers ... or enter intermediate section. Is that fair?

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    Worry not, gadget...... Rachel will asort you out. She APPEARS to know of these things.
    Says WHO?? Just for that, CJ, I would be tempted to make your handcuffs spike- rather than fur-lined!

Speaking of other props, though - I find myself both intrigued and excited by the thought of Scot's vibrating ducks... I want one!!

Commercial Operator
    as long as ther cuffs match my underwear. (i.e. with the spikes on the inside ) fine by me.

Er, who's leading?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Gus on this - Advanced is something to aspire too I think - Id like to be that good and would be expecting to compete against the best if I ever did enter an advanced catagory. Should be open to anyone.

Another idea - they could introduce seeding like tennis...wonder if Andrei Agasi (sp?) can dance ? hmm

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Another idea - they could introduce seeding like tennis
    When people are competing against each other, one on one, then seeding works; but when you have to judge from a group of people, how would you do it ?
    You could use some sort of scoring mechanism (or seeding) to decide the level of the competitor and which competition to enter them into?

Thread Information