Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dancing out of beat

Dancing out of beat

Ok a bit more advice wanted. Bet you are all sick of my questions by now

What do you guys do when your dance partner is not dancing to the tune/rhytm of the music being played?
    I find it really hard to concentrate of following the lead, if it feels like I am being lead to a totally different song than what's actually being played.

What would be the best way of getting the dance back on track? Should I resist a bit in following, and then (letting go) when on the beat? Totally stop, and then hope it gets back on track when we start again?
    Do nothing?
    Last edited by Connie; 17th-September-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Re: Dancing out of beat

By far the best trick I know came from Emma - next time he puts you in a free spin, fudge it to come back out on beat.

A similar trick is to lengthen out a walk etc (mini hijack) to get back on beat

I did say to one lead recently "No sorry, I've lost it" as an invitation to stop and re-start (I had compeltely lost the plot, but she bravely carried on anyway - she is a good lead though and was on beat). Actually I've said that as a lead come to think of it....

Personally I'm against any other "fixing" though. If he's off beat and not dancing to the music, he's got enough problems as it is - any help is likely just going to make his life harder 'tis only 3 minutes

Commercial Operator

Just go with what he leads. He's driving. How would you feel if your car started slowing down because it thought you were going to fast - or, even worse, sped up because it thought you were a slowcoach.

There's loads of guys out there who have a problem with the beat. But at least they're dancing. Go with the beat they can hear and ignore the music - and ask the guys who can hear the beat so you don't have to dance off the beat too often.

At least those guys who can't hear the beat at all aren't as bad as the guys who think beat 2 is beat 1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Just go with what he leads. He's driving. How would you feel if your car started slowing down because it thought you were going to fast - or, even worse, sped up because it thought you were a slowcoach.

There's loads of guys out there who have a problem with the beat. But at least they're dancing. Go with the beat they can hear and ignore the music - and ask the guys who can hear the beat so you don't have to dance off the beat too often.

At least those guys who can't hear the beat at all aren't as bad as the guys who think beat 2 is beat 1

I had a teacher once who's answer to the very same question was "follow what he's leading and ignore the music. Then remember his face and......".

A little harsh perhaps, but I think you'll find most people do the same to at least one or two people.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post

What do you guys do when your dance partner is not dancing to the tune/rhytm of the music being played?
    I find it really hard to concentrate of following the lead, if it feels like I am being lead to a totally different song than what's actually being played.

What would be the best way of getting the dance back on track? Should I resist a bit in following, and then (letting go) when on the beat? Totally stop, and then hope it gets back on track when we start again?
    Do nothing?
    Its no fun dancing off beat...............its like driving a car without the wheel! I'd list those (as suggested by NZ Monkey) and avoid them in future. If they have been cerocing a long time and are off beat then avoid them totally. However, if the lead is learning then suggesting to him or her that they are "slightly off beat" and if they ask for further help point them in the direction of a teacher.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, not unless you start asking what foot to step back on in the First Move...

There are any number of tricks and tips for a leader, but unfortunately, there's not much a follower can do to impose a beat-sense on their partner

Trying to impose your own timing on your leader is problematic at best. So I'd also recommend just gritting your teeth and accepting it.

Also, it's possible that your partner is not off-beat - he may be syncopating, he may be deliberately dragging things out or speeding them up, and so on. Probably not, to be honest - it's much more likely that he can't dance in time - but it's a possibility.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If its a beginner and they've started off 'in time' but 'lost it' then i'll usually 'back lead' them back in to time.

Before I get shot down in flames, I know backleading is the 8th deadly sin but 1. I can't bare it and 2. (if they do have any sense of timing) they usually thank me.

If its a long term no hoper, I do as NZ monkey said, I try to grin and bare it and get through it as best as I can but remember 'the face' for future reference!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I try to grin and bare it
    Well, no wonder they go off beat then

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well, no wonder they go off beat then
    Note to self.....

You ALWAYS get 'bare' and 'bear' round the wrong way...

...idiot!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Wouldnt know, I've got a bit of difficulty finding an instructor willing to teach me. The last one got a bit upset with me because I drove the wrong way around the oneway system at Purley Cross
    Last edited by Connie; 18th-September-2007 at 08:46 AM.

It looks so far that the girls are for "fixing it" and the men to grin and bare it........

I think I pick the girls advice this time

Seriously though, I find it so so difficult to dance when I am not being lead on the right beat. I think I use the music to support the dance a lot more than I thought. I make such a muddle out of it when it goes off beat, so much so that I managed to step myself over the toes

I find that a leader who is dancing on the even beats instead of the odd beats fixes himself after a few moves - I've not had anyone lead an entire song on the even beats yet - so I don't see the point in intervening. That said, as a male follow, I'm probably backleading the correct beat without consciously thinking about it.
    If a leader's dancing at a different tempo to the music, I struggle, but try to follow. I normally put that down to a leader who can't handle dancing at the actual tempo of the music, so trying to force the issue wouldn't help anyone. If he can't lead at 160bpm, he can't lead at 160bpm.

Having said all that, you talk about a leader not "dancing to the tune/rhythm of the music being played". That seems like a larger thing than merely beat/tempo. Could you give some examples of someone dancing to the wrong tune, or dancing to the wrong rhythm?

If someone tells you you are dancing on the even beats rather than the odd ones, just tell them you are bringing a bit of West Coast timing to your dancing.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    If someone tells you you are dancing on the even beats rather than the odd ones, just tell them you are bringing a bit of West Coast timing to your dancing.
    And hope they don't dance WCS themselves and see through your cunning ploy

I think I pick the girls advice this time
    Well, here is one girl saying, follow what is led, to whatever drum the leader is hearing in his head! Now remember, this is advice from a beginner, (but I feel I ought to put in my two-pence-worth: it is because I am still learning, the effects are magnified)
    Two reasons:
    1 - if the leader could hear the beat, he would be leading you to it. If a subtle "nudge" (such as Ghost's suggestion) doesn't get them on track, then you would have to back-lead the whole dance. You wouldn't help the lead. And you would do yourself no favours, getting into bad habits.

2 - Following off-beat is a great way to test / improve your following skills. I find it forces me to focus on feeling the lead. Look at what you said:
    I think I use the music to support the dance a lot more than I thought. I make such a muddle out of it when it goes off beat,
    So unless you are asked for help, don't. And be wary of helping: my husband finds the beat very hard to find, so I feed it back to him....enter the infamous "bouncing hand!" <shudder>
    While I'm learning, I continue to try to follow exactly what is led. It doesn't help the lead if you don't, and it may improve following skills. And as they often say on this forum, "it is only 3 minutes!"
    The lead with a rhythm problem has to realize he has a problem before it can be corrected. My other half has found that only time and repetition helps him to hear the beat. In the meantime, he concentrates on smoothing out the moves and connections, and does the best he can (which is getting pretty good! ) And he doesn't yank! (I suspect some "yankers" are panicky, realizing they are behind the beat, and try to "fix" it by hauling their partner around a turn that they started to lead waaay too late.
    After a dance with a rhythm randomiser, why not treat yourself to a dance with a strong lead who is not temporally-challenged, to get back in sync?

Note to self.....

You ALWAYS get 'bare' and 'bear' round the wrong way...

...idiot!
    Thats just one reason we all luv ya!

Just go with what he leads. He's driving.
    No Chance.

I can't stand dancing with anyone if they are not in time to the music. I force them to lead in time by taking over.

This might be the wrong way, but it looks awful when you see some poor follower trying desperately hard to make some kind of sense of a rhythmless numpty.

long term no hoper
    What a perfect description

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    No Chance.

I can't stand dancing with anyone if they are not in time to the music. I force them to lead in time by taking over.

This might be the wrong way, but it looks awful when you see some poor follower trying desperately hard to make some kind of sense of a rhythmless numpty.
    So you force them to lead by....um.... not letting them lead?

It looks equally aweful watching some poor begineer lead trying to deal with someone who isn't playing their part as well

I know it's painful to watch and even more painful to be stuck dancing with someone who simply can't hear the beat, but no about of backleading is going to affect his ability to hear music. His ears are not connected to his hands, and if he can't hear a beat in the first place he'll have a hard job connecting your "corrections" to his mistakes. What I think is more likely to happen is that you'll feel like you're not even trying to follow to him (if he notices - I accept there are many that won't) and everyone will have a much rougher dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    ...I can't stand dancing with anyone if they are not in time to the music. I force them to lead in time by taking over.
    ...but not in a lesson?
    Otherwise there isn't much chance the instructor will notice the problem.

Thread Information