Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scots Comp 2003 - Teachers or no

B.T.C.

Re: Apologies

Originally posted by DavidB
    And I apologise to Bill - my earlier post was a bit ott. Sorry.:sorry :sorry :sorry
    No offence taken I assure you

Maybe my comments were misinterpreted and I wasn't making any comments about who won on Sunday ( honest James ! ).

If you look back at some of the comments on this site you'll see the whole debate about competitions and the categories has been going on for a while and my comments are based partly on what some teachers and competitiors have said to me about how important it can be to have a title or a place to use on a CV to 'sell' themselves' so they can teach or run workshops. And as I said I can fully understand that and there's nothing wrong with that. But I wasn't suggesting that all, or even the majority of dancers from down south were competing for those reasons.

And as you noted yourself on stage - you were applauded by the crowd for winning the competition and no-one here has suggested that you and Lynn didn't deserve to win. It's just that, as Scot has indicated, there was an error which led to a mix up over whether teachers could enter - regardless of how long they had been teaching. The same would have been true if you and Sarah had come up to compete. The rules say over 18's and as she's under 18 she would have been unable to compete in Scotland - though other competitons obviously overlook this.

I only had one 'complaint' about the judges decision and I've passed that on already - and it was not the Advanced result but a couple I feel were 'overlooked' in the Intermediate

And sorry I missed that dance with you James . maybe next time I think you're right about the titles of the category but not sure how to change that. It took me 4 years to pluck up the courage to enter the Advanced category and I still get very nervous and at London and Blackpool feel very much the novice

Duration of dancing might not be the best way as some dancers might only have 1 night to choose from whereas others could have 3 or 4 and so learn both moves and style much quicker. Timescale also led to problems in London where entrants for the Beginners section a few years ago had to dance for less than 6 months and difficult to make sure everyone had been dancing only for 6 months - so how would you ensure dancers had been dancing for up to a year - up to 2/3 years etc???? But certainly something Scot and Franck can think about.

On a personal note can I say that Fran and I ( I'm using her computer at the moment) are delighted the two of you came up so that the crowd could see what the standard is like down south and if you read some of the replies you'll see that no commenst are actually aimed at you personally and a number of dancers have been inspired to pratice and get ready for Blackpool and London.

All the best and we hope to meet up with you again soon.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    oi Bill stop posting as Fran its confusing

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    oi Bill stop posting as Fran its confusing
    Well it kinda goes with those red shoes of his!

Smile Pardon?

Originally posted by Wendy
    " A good teacher does not necessarily a Fred Astaire make "
    (old Chinese proverb )
    Did I hear my name???

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Originally posted by John S
    Did I hear my name???
    Dear John (oops did that come out wrong )

I don't think I've had the pleasure of dancing with you yet so dance with me and I'll let you know if it applies to you or not Bet you're fab !!!!

Wx

PS And God knows what the Chinese would have to say about female taxis anyway !!!!! Something like "she is chosen not for her great dancing but for her skill in keeping the funny men smiling"

I don't think I've had the pleasure of dancing with you yet so dance with me and I'll let you know if it applies to you or not Bet you're fab !!!!
    You're right, Wendy,I don't think we've danced together (if you're at Marco's on Saturday ask one of the Dundee gang to point me out) but don't build up your expectations - I think Franck gave me the "Fred" name in some sort of dance-induced haze of post-modern irony, but as you see from my avatar (or from my Team Dundee cabaret photo) I'm the one with the short fat hairy legs who looks more like Barney Rubble. Or to use another analogy from the forum, I'm the Tesco Own Brand Chocbar to Bill's finest Belgian Chocolate.

PS And God knows what the Chinese would have to say about female taxis anyway !!!!! Something like "she is chosen not for her great dancing but for her skill in keeping the funny men smiling"
    Or maybe
    Female taxi often needed to help move men who cannot lead themselves from one position to next

Originally posted by John S

I'm the one with the short fat hairy legs who looks more like Barney Rubble. Or to use another analogy from the forum, I'm the Tesco Own Brand Chocbar to Bill's finest Belgian Chocolate.

When will you guys realise that the way you look or how long your legs are has absolutely no bearing on how we girls feel when we dance with you !!!! (Franck we really need a Munch scream face for this !!!!)

Oh no I feel a feminist blast of wisdom (???) about to be unleashed !!!!

Men are great (become beautiful !! ) because of their skill (I'm talking dancing here but that also applies to tennis, millionnaires and the rest !!!) I'd much rather dance with Fred Astaire than Brad Pitt !!!

On the other hand you guys would queue up to dance with a gorgeous women even if she wasn't the best dancer. (Why do us girls make such a fuss about our clothes and make-up etc every party night ????) The best dancers make us FEEL like we're gorgeous. I'm convinced that dance was invented by some ugly git who couldn't pull the best-looking bird !!!

CEROC sooooo reflects the real world.

I can live with that though... most of the time... then there's a record I just know and love and go wild to and most men jump back in horror cos I dare to do a break or something.. they think they've lost the upper hand ... oh no I didn't realise all this was lurking under that smiling exterior !!!! I need another massage Arrrrggghhhhh !!!!

Wxxx

Go Wendy!!!

When will you guys realise that the way you look or how long your legs are has absolutely no bearing on how we girls feel when we dance with you !!!! (Franck we really need a Munch scream face for this !!!!)

Oh no I feel a feminist blast of wisdom (???) about to be unleashed !!!!

Men are great (become beautiful !! ) because of their skill (I'm talking dancing here but that also applies to tennis, millionnaires and the rest !!!) I'd much rather dance with Fred Astaire than Brad Pitt !!!

On the other hand you guys would queue up to dance with a gorgeous women even if she wasn't the best dancer. (Why do us girls make such a fuss about our clothes and make-up etc every party night ????) The best dancers make us FEEL like we're gorgeous. I'm convinced that dance was invented by some ugly git who couldn't pull the best-looking bird !!!

CEROC sooooo reflects the real world.

I can live with that though... most of the time... then there's a record I just know and love and go wild to and most men jump back in horror cos I dare to do a break or something.. they think they've lost the upper hand ... oh no I didn't realise all this was lurking under that smiling exterior !!!! I need another massage Arrrrggghhhhh !!!!

Wxxx
    Don't hold back girl , tell us what you really think!

As for the best looking people winning out, that happens everywhere - why would Ceroc be any different?

At least at Ceroc the women have a chance to be recognised for their skills as well as their looks. And if they have both

Grant

B.T.C.
    On the other hand you guys would queue up to dance with a gorgeous women even if she wasn't the best dancer. (Why do us girls make such a fuss about our clothes and make-up etc every party night ????)
    Given all the comments about how good looking and how wonderful Elliot is then looks as if some men have it all !

But I have to disagree withyour comment there Wendy. I'm sure a lot of men would dance with an attractive woman but if she didn't dance that well they may not be back too quickly for another ! However, if it was fun then just as a woman might enjoy a dance with a man who wasn't wonderful then he might ask for anotehr dance.

But is there any point in making too much fuss about make-up etc when after 10 mins of dancing most dancers are all hot & sweaty anyway ??? (think this has been touched on elsewhere !)
    The best dancers make us FEEL like we're gorgeous. I'm convinced that dance was invented by some ugly git who couldn't pull the best-looking bird !!!
    Mmmmmmmmm........ ............ well Wendy does that mean that a man who makes you feel gorgeous is more likely to be an ugly git Careful how you reply now

Originally posted by bill foreman

Mmmmmmmmm........ ............ well Wendy does that mean that a man who makes you feel gorgeous is more likely to be an ugly git Careful how you reply now
    Oh Jeez !!! That'll teach me not to drink too much Chardonnay when I'm on the forum (that must be why I never EVER ever drink when I dance !!!! and from now on I'm not going to talk either !!!!)

OK I'll just polish my spade as I dig myself out of this one !!!

Here goes ...

In my humble opinion (yeh that'll be a first n'est-ce pas Janet !!!) and my admittedly limited experience of the workings of the world... and I did live in France for a long time ....

Women (OK I'll personalise this) I want to dance with men because they are talented (of course many of them just happen to be gorgeous as well ) I wanted to dance with Elliot, for instance, because of the way he danced, I didn't realise how handsome he was till I got up close (I am short-sighted and don't wear glasses at CEROC- would really like to dance with my eyes shut a lot of the time - and that's not because the guy is ugly - just before I get mobbed !!!)

I'll just say that Sven Yorrick Machin probably didn't go out with Ulrika bacause she was a good footballer and stop there....

Wxxx

Originally posted by bill foreman
    But I have to disagree withyour comment there Wendy. I'm sure a lot of men would dance with an attractive woman but if she didn't dance that well they may not be back too quickly for another ! However, if it was fun then just as a woman might enjoy a dance with a man who wasn't wonderful then he might ask for anotehr dance.
    No doubt you don't get a chance to observe at a class/party, being pursued as you are by your fans , but I think you'll find a pretty beginner woman will get asked to dance rather more often than one who is hmm better be careful here not quite as pretty. I agree that if she's completely hopeless many men will just leave it at that, but if she's merely of average ability, then I would say that she's going to continue to get asked more frequently than she otherwise might. I've even heard of taxi dancers who exhibit this behaviour (although I'm sure not BTC ones )

Thanks MIB Graham.

And that's why you're in my "Knights in Shining Armour" team !!!

Wxxx

PS Wasn't that chocolate fondue we had last night with the marshmallows and strawberries just fab !!! almost worth missing the Ed party for

PPS Isn't this thread about teachers ???

PPPS When does Gus get back again to stir up trouble and take some of this pressure off !!!

PPPS When does Gus get back again to stir up trouble and take some of this pressure off !!!
    Oh yeah of little faith ... do you think I would leave you alone to carry out your deliberations without my 'guidance'??

No ... sorry .. Internet access a bit haphazard (as is my spelling after numerous drinks and 5 hours of dancing .... just got back to the Hotel after the NZ Ceroc Ball) ... anyway ... thinks look a bit boring at the moment ... will add my twopenneth later ....

Whew !!! Great to have you back !!!

And when will you dance with me again oh Wise One with the Twinkle Toes !!!

Wx

Ps Girls, just in case you didn't know, Gus is witty and clever and he can really dance !!! and he is (was??) a teacher which rounds off this nice little thread !!!!

Commercial Operator

Way to go Wendy.

10 out of 10!!

Nice recovery.

Why thank you, kind sir !!!

And that's why you are in my "Fave DJ's of all Time " team !!!!

Wx

PS So now we can really put this nice thread to bed !!!!

I wanted to dance with Elliot, for instance, because of the way he danced, I didn't realise how handsome he was till I got up close (I am short-sighted and don't wear glasses at CEROC- would really like to dance with my eyes shut a lot of the time - and that's not because the guy is ugly - just before I get mobbed !!!)
    I made the mistake of really getting into the dance I had with Elliot and rather than watch him smiling into my eyes - which was a bit off putting because he is SOOOOO young (and gorgeous) - I closed my eyes and was doing my attempt at style - only to be rudely awoken by Elliot's hand on my stomach - pushing me backwards into a walk (obviously he didn't think much of the style I was putting into it!!!!!!) - I did feel a tad foolish - especially as he was grinning at me when I did open my eyes.

Maybe that's another category we could have in a competition - blindfolded!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dancing Veela

Maybe that's another category we could have in a competition - blindfolded!!!!!!!

mmmmmmm Let me just entertain that thought for a while.... I know which team I'm heading for Wendy - may the best girl get there first!!

Could be a slightly challenging category - what a shame I'd miss all of those false pretzels :reallymad.....

Jayne

Have you seen that they had a 'girls blindfolded' category in the Australian Ceroc Championships this year?

(I'm with those of you who dance with your eyes closed, though - I find I do it a lot of the time!)
    Rachel

B.T.C.

I did feel a tad foolish - especially as he was grinning at me when I did open my eyes.

Welllll............... maybe Scot and Franck could introdcue that next year ! Do you mean just the women to be blindfolded ?

You......... feeling foolish Veela..........surely not !:p The stories young Elliot must have from Sunday !

Thread Information