Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Southport - The Aftermath

Re: Southport - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    A bit late but I wanted to add a huge THANKS and CONGRATULATIONS to John, Wes & crew for running another successful Southport weekender!

Lisa x

Lisa I love that avatar, what I'm going to miss at the bfg avatar comp eh!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

It was certainly a great weekend, but I do have some complaints

The main hall was busy enough that it put some people off attending classes, which is a shame as there were great classes in there.

The volume of the dance game was too low and the staff refused to turn it up as they had orders to keep things quiet. bah. Still, didnt stop Lindsay beating theTramp at it .

More strolls - does no one know the cha cha slide except for Melanie ? She could have done a class on that, at least to the people on stage with her . And was there any other stroll music played, at least The Maddison as there was a class on that ? I wasnt in the main hall the whole time so maybe they did the Maddison one night ?

Not enough scantily clad nurses. I only counted 8 of them, more next year please!

The Dashing Moderator

Semi-weekenders

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    For myself I've had to cancel what would have been my 2nd biggest night of the year, my November 6th freestyle as it clashes with the Ribby weekend. Thats a big hit financially as these freestyles provide the cash to support the weekly club nights which currently are a cash drain Its only going to get worse. When you consider that most freestyles probably only have around 100/150 dancers ... take out the top 20/30 dancers for a weekender and you will really notice the difference.
    Been thinking some more about this.

There are more of what I'd call "semi-weekenders" springing up. You have workshops during the day (maybe with some "A-list instructors" ) , then a freestyle in the evening, maybe with a cabaret act or 2. Preferably held in a big venue so you can get lots of people in to the evening event with space to dance, and ideally showers so you can freshen up between workshop & party.

People can turn up to the freestyle as they would to any other local freestyle night, but the workshops can attract more people in from further afield.

IMO it's a good compromise - you still get lots of people in to dance with, and you learn something, but there's still an evening freestyle for those that just want that. It also only takes up one day of your weekend for people with a life outside dance. Most people are near enough home to sleep in their own bed afterwards so you're not paying for accomodation/living out of a suitcase etc.

I expect these have happened elsewhere for some time, but there seem to be more in my area than there were last year for instance.

I can see more of these happening in future (I hope so anyway).
    Love dance, will travel

Re: Semi-weekenders

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    It also only takes up one day of your weekend for people with a life outside dance.
    What's that? (I wish! At this rate I'm only going to get to dance MJ about 3 times a year!)

We have run one of those afternoon and evenings and it was great - drew in more dancers than the regular class would have and we allowed enough time in between for people to eat and shower.

And re the class size - I did leave a class because it was so big and there was so little space that I kept getting crashed into other people so left before I was injured! But the flexiblity to decide what class you want to go to, or not do a class because you feel tired (nothing to do with dancing til 6am of course!) is great. So not sure how you would control numbers in the very big classes.

The Oracle

I had two completely different views of Southport - teaching this time, but doing nothing (except drinking!) in May. Have to admit I far preferred it in May, even with a hangover.

Some organisations really go out of their way to help the teachers.
    - For the classes allowing them input in what to teach. DJs for the class. Assistants to help organise the rows. Bottles of cold water on stage. Spare radio mics. Sanitising wipes to clean the radio mics.
    - For the cabaret they provide time for sound checks and walk throughs. Space to warm up. Control over the lighting. Cleaning the floor.
    - And off the dance floor decent clean accomodation. Towels and carpet in the rooms. Somewhere to park your car.
    And whether you are a first-time teacher, or have been doing it for 20 years, you should get treated the same.

Rock Bottoms are far and away the best in the way they treat the teachers. All of the others have a long, long way to go.

We dance, teach and perform for fun, and not for a living. We don't go to events to promote ourselves. We go because it should be an enjoyable weekend. If we don't enjoy it, we just don't go again.

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Red face Re: Southport - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Rock Bottoms are far and away the best in the way they treat the teachers. All of the others have a long, long way to go.

We dance, teach and perform for fun, and not for a living. We don't go to events to promote ourselves. We go because it should be an enjoyable weekend. If we don't enjoy it, we just don't go again.
    Quite agree with you David. Many of us give up valuable time (and money) to teach at these events and whilst we may get free entry and free digs, the digs are usually acceptable at best and miserable at worst...

In saying that, we're usually mucking in with everyone else anyway and we are all in the same situation punters and teachers / DJ's etc... ('spose the advantage is not (usually) having to pay for it).

MJC were really good with water, mics, DJ's if needed etc (although I'll avoid the digs issue and bring a tent next year). Organisation was bang on form my experience.

I have noticed recently (and probably triggered by the Rock Bottoms crew setting the standard) an increase in the more 'intimate' weekenders.

I taught last year on the (probably unknown) R&E Roc weekends, set up by a taxi dancer Big Ron and his colleague Esther from CerocMetro land (JiveMasters September heat this Sunday at Chigwell) .

He arranged a quiet weekend away for twenty or so people, asked a couple of teachers and DJ's along to provide the entertainment and lo and behold it has grown to a respectable (but still intimate) sixty or so people happening in really nice hotels along the South Coast.

He does it at cost and covers just the accommodation charges for teachers and DJ's in the price and also makes it half board with parties on Friday and Saturday and only two or three really good workshops giving people time either for 1-2-1 lessons with the teachers or tourist time in the local area.

Very successful they are too....

Mind you, still looking forward to Camber later this year...!!!
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Re: Saturday night pictures

Evelyne with a few safety pins and me in a coat that was far to hot to dance in!!! (but I did)
    Attached Images Attached Images

James and I had a great time (Again!!) in Southport. The highlight of the weekend had to be .......the Awesome foursome of course!!!
    What a hoot!!!!!!!

Many thanks to Peter and Evelyne for inviting us to take part

Here's a couple of pics

filthycute x x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Commercial Operator

one two other Southport titbits.....
    Unpacking my case at home & realised I had forgot to empty the drawer that 5 of my favourite T shirts were in..... ...Good news tho' I phoned Pontins and they've got my T shirts......Bad news is it's costing me a tenner to get them back...

On the way home....negotiated my way back through Preston following M6 signs...and at the big Roundabout i took the turn for the M55 by mistake and ended up in Blackpool....

But even better.....was talking to two ladies who were seen in sexy nurses outfits on Saturday night.......won't say who coz I don't want to embarrass Lindsay & Dancing Girlie.... ........and they told me that they negotiated their way to the M6......headed on down the road, smiling at the traffic cops as they sailed past at 85mph.........then realised that they should have been heading on UP the road......and realised their mistake when they reached ............BIRMINGHAM.... ..........WAY TO GO GIRLS

and they told me that they negotiated their way to the M6......headed on down the road, smiling at the traffic cops as they sailed past at 85mph.........then realised that they should have been heading on UP the road......and realised their mistake when they reached ............BIRMINGHAM.... ..........WAY TO GO GIRLS
    Or maybe "WRONG WAY TO GO GIRLS" !!!

Another journey home story ...........

Stopping off at a service station on the M6 - Chickadee and I were chatting, Andy McG off to get a coffee - when a strange man came up to us. He said he was at the Southport weekend and recognised us, but it wasn't us he meant, he said it was Andy that he remembered from the Blackpool Comp as Andy had asked for his help to do up his dress - he said he never forgets a face

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    ...he said he never forgets a face

I don't know about never forgetting a face...I'll never look at plums in the same way again! Those who saw the pic (the FULL version of Andy's lacey knicker shot) will know exactly what I'm referring to!

But even better.....was talking to two ladies who were seen in sexy nurses outfits on Saturday night.......won't say who coz I don't want to embarrass Lindsay & Dancing Girlie.... ........and they told me that they negotiated their way to the M6......headed on down the road, smiling at the traffic cops as they sailed past at 85mph.........then realised that they should have been heading on UP the road......and realised their mistake when they reached ............BIRMINGHAM.... ..........WAY TO GO GIRLS
    There goes the street cred - if we had any in the first place! We set off just before 12 and couldn't believe we were reaching Southport, again, at 2.30pm ! That'll teach us for trying to do the body-roll to impress the cops!!

(Wrrrong way to go right enough GoJive )

Wendy

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Chickadee

I don't know about never forgetting a face...I'll never look at plums in the same way again! Those who saw the pic (the FULL version of Andy's lacey knicker shot) will know exactly what I'm referring to!
    Correction, they were Chickadee's lacy knickers - but the shot she's referring to is a tad embarassing

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Correction, they were Chickadee's lacy knickers - but the shot she's referring to is a tad embarassing
    I have had the misfortune to see that picture for myself. 'Last grape on the vine' was the phrase that came to mind.

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Talking Re: Southport - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I have had the misfortune to see that picture for myself. 'Last grape on the vine' was the phrase that came to mind.
    Having seen Andy in a 'naughtical' environment (spelling is correct by the way...), I was thinking more last chicken in Sainsburys........

Although surgery may have improved both quality and quantity....

Did you see the tatoo he has along the length....???

It sez " MANY ", when he is with a crowd of people.....

When alone and intimate with Andy it sez,

" My name's Andy and I would like to thank you for the wonderful experience - have a nice day "

Allegedly........
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    More strolls - does no one know the cha cha slide except for Melanie ? She could have done a class on that, at least to the people on stage with her .
    Smurf............ I quite agree......

Melanie for teacher...Melanie for teacher...Melanie for teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    Smurf............ I quite agree......

Melanie for teacher...Melanie for teacher...Melanie for teacher.

Heather
    XX

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    great photos
    Any chance of naming the people in them? Some of you I can work out, but the others........

Thanks

Elaine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Chickadee

Did anyone notice the string of pearls?!?!?!??!

Aye, once a tory.....

Thread Information