Re: Southport - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay
    Sorry, duff link earlier, here's the right one:-

http://linz.webspace.fish.co.uk/southport.htm
    great photos

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Having only returned home at 0100 hours this morning after a trip to Woking where Mrs Par and I took Mark and Simone Harding to their next venue I would like to thank all at Jive Addiction for putting on a fantastic weekend.

Mrs Par had many magical dancers with all you forumites. THANKYOU all so much

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed dancing with all you wonderful ladies.(and the odd fellow..................got to be odd to want to dance with me!!!TRAMPY, ANDY MAG AND jOHNAH...)

Lory, Sparkles,Lynn, Bardsey, Lilyb, MinnieM, Aleks(nice to meet you) Chickadee (now I know who you are) Chicklet, Sal, Zebra Woman, Miss Conduct, Sheena, lindsay, Rachel, DC ... to mention but a few......... a huge tired apology to any and all I have failed to mention.

Wes and John I am so glad the handbag thief was apprehended.... a team effort there. Thank your good ladies for there dances too.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    (and the odd fellow..................got to be odd to want to dance with me!!!TRAMPY, ANDY MAG AND jOHNAH...)
    That dance you had with Trampy and Andy was so entertaining to watch!

Once again ... great time at Southport!

Wonderful inspiring dancing and dancers to watch and to dance with.

It's only my third non-competition weekend, and this time I really noticed the more varied and extreme styles .... Marc in particular!! It really serves to encourage me to expand my envelope .... risk, and try doing it as differently as I can!

Great to meet you northantsgirly ... looking so gorgeous! ... I'll be planning on getting down that way sometime .... maybe Daventry where I'd hope to bump into you.

Wonderful to dance with you, Lisa, of Aberdeen teaching fame! Great watchin you dance with Marc on the blues floor Sat early eve. I'm checking out the trains to get up to Aberdeen for a Beach Ballroom romp, as I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms for only getting the one dance!!!

Hope to meet a whole load more of you Scots up there to! 'Specially Sally ... another wonderful bright star!

Finally .... a huge to 'Mouth to Mouth'. My personal favourite team routine to date (after watching 3 years of comps). Serious hats of to the choreographer .... well inspired ... truly magnificent creativity! Thank you.

Big dance floor? Bit crowded for my liking .... in the evening. Ace during the day though ... between workshops! Latin Quarter? Wonderful little intimate dance floor ... spent lots of evening hours there. Blue Haven? Great in the evening. Good on Saturday early eve ... for a little light dancing with space.

Workshops? Some were very crowded Is there a place for signup sheets? To limit numbers? Might be better all round .... might scare a few people off.

All in all .... still a great weekend .... and dead easy to cool off in the wind and the rain outside!!!

Hats off to JiveAddiction!!

The Dashing Moderator

I had a lot of fun...

Water Coolers. I liked these very much! Were they there in May - don't remember ? I think they may have underestimated demand, though, as they were empty at times.

I think the workshops could have worked with lots of people if the video projectors had worked better. Good idea but there were 2 cameras in different places with different angles. This meant that the teachers lined themselves up using the screen they could see behind them (when it worked), but the picture off to the side was different and people missed crucial details, especially if the moves had footwork. Placing the 2 cameras closer together would have helped.

Noticed the dancefloor in the Latin quarter was bigger and covered in one material throughout, rather than a patch of polished floor in the middle and boards round the edges. Definitely an improvement compared to May.

I was interested in how the big dancefloor changed - it started "sticky" on Friday night but got faster as the weekend progressed.

I thought the lighting was a bit odd on Saturday night in the main ballroom. It was too dark on the bar area, and at the back of the main dancefloor (furthest from the stage) it was lit by dazzling lights that got in your eyes more than they illuminated. I didn't dance with some people that I would have liked to, and I think I just didn't find them in the gloom.

Thanks to all the wonderful people I danced with , and apologies to those I missed.
    Love dance, will travel

Re: John & Wes

I drove up Thursday night (cos I had DJ equipment for main hall) arrived at 2am friday morning, John & Wes had started laying the floor in both halls around midnight, I sneak off to bed return about 10am friday morning, they are just finfishing the floor having worked through the night.

Chatting to John and asked him if he was off to bed his reply was "no got to make sure everything is going ok and look after anyone arriving early".
    The guy had been awake for 24 hours!!
    I DJ'd the Latin Set Friday night, finished at two, chatting to Wes and discover he had not been to really bed since Wednesday!!!!!
    (bl**dy good stuff this addreneline)

Throughout the weekend whether DJ'ing teaching or dancing these guys were ever present...and more to the point VERY social.

I have worked at a lot of weekenders laying floor, DJ'ing, teaching and generaly running around like a headless chicken, but in the quiet moments I hid in my chalet and rested......not these guys.

On top of all that Wes badly burnt his hand on the Thursday, it looked really painfull but it did not slow him or affect his friendly approach to all around him.

It is not only the dancers that they pamper it is the teachers & DJ's.
    Organising an Event like this is enormous to please 1200 MJ dancers with the right mixture....Oh boy

I know that on the road to their success they may have upset a few teachers/organisers etc. but they have built their success on the back of hard work effort and skillfull manegment.

I am often direct with my comments if I disagree with someone but I am also direct with my praise (and I do not do the luvie stuff) - These guys deserve huge praise and respect.
    It is the behind the scenes bit that makes the difference.
    If I am invited back to Southport (which I hope I am) I would really like to sit at the bar with Gus and enjoy the weekender.

So to John and Wes thankyou and VERY well done
    Peter Phillips

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Re: John & Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
    So to John and Wes thankyou and VERY well done
    Peter Phillips
    Having helped Peter sort out the JiveTime flooring at holdiay camps dar sarf....I know how much this will have been really appreciated by him....

Respect...!
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Commercial Operator

I agree with LL :eek:

Southport was a very slick operation: you'd have thought it was their 22nd event rather than their 2nd.

Everything about it was as good or better than other dance weekends I've been on. Well done John and Wes

This type of dance weekend wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the pioneering spirit of the guys who started it all in the last century. But, if the old guard are to survive the new competition they need to see this as a call to WAKE UP!!

Re: I agree with LL :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    But, if the old guard are to survive the new competition they need to see this as a call to WAKE UP!!

My god that was loud.......

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    My god that was loud.......
    Sorry, did I wake you up

Southport was a very slick operation: you'd have thought it was their 22nd event rather than their 2nd.
    This type of dance weekend wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the pioneering spirit of the guys who started it all in the last century. But, if the old guard are to survive the new competition they need to see this as a call to WAKE UP!!
    Good point ... the Southport guys have made a real advancement on the Jivespree offering (that and the fact that its North of London and so must be good ). It will be intersting to see how the other groups who do similar stuff will react. Beach Boodie and Rock Bottoms had already offered an improved services (though smaller) ... but Soutport has showen you can take the same levels of customer service and present it on a bigger scale. Will JiveSpree respond? Will Ceroc enter the fray. Will Ribby Hall (Blitz) meet the high standards set by Southport. I expect, given the laws of supply and demand, that the weekender market will become busier next year. I think JiveAddiction are running about 5 events, Party Wekeender have a couple, Beach Boogie/Rock Bottoms have about 5, Jive Spree must have a few ... Blitz will probably run one or two and I've heard of another couple of organisations joining in.

{ODA MOde ON}The big questions is ... will this be the start of the end for the local club freetsyles?{ODA MOde OFF}

Everything about it was as good or better than other dance weekends I've been on. Well done John and Wes

The old guard have had a successfull formula for a while now, way way before this southport we got Emails advising of changes and new ideas (no I do not know the details).
    I have no doubt John & Wes learnt a few ideas from 'the old guard' and in turn the 'old guard' will learn from the Jive addiction formula, the real benefit is to the dancers cos standards will immprove.

If you are an organiser of a successfull weekend event it is a big step to make major changes, it often helps if other events 'test the market' with new ideas.

To me it appears the next Jive addiction event is a Rock Bottoms formula with the best in a hotel location, it sounds great and should be as popular as RB.

My previous posting was in praise of John & Wes, it was not an oppertunity to have a 'pop' at other organisers.

One of the major points at southport was the bluesroom bar area, this is a fantastic social area to mix, have dancing all day, sit in the sun & drink on the balcony, watch teachers practice their routines etc.

No matter how hard other organisers try at their events if the venue does not have this facility, they can't create it.

Give John & Wes the praise they deserve, please do not use it to critisise others.
    I am looking forward to Camber with the same enthusiasm as Southport.

So you guys way out west when is the 'Brean Sands Bonanza' (made up name) going to happen
    PP

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    {ODA MOde ON}The big questions is ... will this be the start of the end for the local club freetsyles?{ODA MOde OFF}
    no.
    - it's expensive
    - people want to assimilate all the information from one before going to another (I assume)
    - people want somewhere to try out these new things
    - people don't want to live out a suitcase every weekend; it's nice to sleep in your own bed once in a while {it's nice to sleep once in a while }
    - If you don't support your local venue, it will vanish
    - If you only dance at weekenders, don't you run the risk of becoming a "hotshot"?

I think that there will reach a saturation point for weekenders (52? ) that will affect the numbers attending every other weekender, then due to decreased numbers, some will fall by the wayside.

{Actually, this should really be another thread...}

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Southport

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I expect, given the laws of supply and demand, that the weekender market will become busier next year~SNIP~
    If there are more weekenders, it's not going to help with the "Not Enough Saturdays" problem if people start moving freestyles to avoid clashing with nearby weekender events.

On the other hand, you can only go to so many weekenders. If they're usually over £100 a go, not including travel, when your local freestyle is £7 or £8 and nearer, I think many people will still go to their local club.
    Love dance, will travel

Re: wot more weekenders

Time for a thread split methinks
    jive weekenders in 2005
    Jive addiction - 5
    Jive Time - 3
    Rock Bottoms 5
    Party Weekenders 3
    Beach Boogie 1
    Boogaloo promotions 3
    Rebel Roc -1
    Stompin - 1
    Ceroc....?
    Blitz.....?
    AN Other

Then there is the dance holiday breaks

Plus the BIG events
    BFG
    Jive Masters

think you could be right Gus, Freestyle nights may suffer, locally to put on a dance at same time as Camber or Bognor is a risky thing with low numbers cos the dancers who do not go to weekenders stay at home cos they expect everywhere to be quiet cos of weekender!!!!

but the weekenders can only sustain a limited number, quality and variety will win

PP
    Last edited by Lounge Lizard; 22nd-September-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Re: Southport

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    If there are more weekenders, it's not going to help with the "Not Enough Saturdays" problem if people start moving freestyles to avoid clashing with nearby weekender events
    think you could be right Gus, Freestyle nights may suffer
    Its ALREADY happening. Because of the Southport wekeend, other freestyles in the NWest had to change resulting in about 4 events taking place on the Saturday before Southport.

For myself I've had to cancel what would have been my 2nd biggest night of the year, my November 6th freestyle as it clashes with the Ribby weekend. Thats a big hit financially as these freestyles provide the cash to support the weekly club nights which currently are a cash drain Its only going to get worse. When you consider that most freestyles probably only have around 100/150 dancers ... take out the top 20/30 dancers for a weekender and you will really notice the difference.

This is NOT having a go at weekenders ... they have as much right as anyone to carry on and do business, but I do fear that the growing popularity of weekenders may negatively impact on freestyles.

{ODA Mode ON}AND THIS IS NO BAD THING! Its about time that the freestyle operators got off their butts and started to improve the freestyle offering. Too many venues either pack too many in or play bland or undanceable music. Promoters have a choice, either improve the quality of their events or go out of business. {ODA Mode OFF}

Yep - this should go off into another thread - can we have a split?

There are those of us who don't have any local freestyles. I know NI is on the very fringe of things so maybe no other areas have this problem but for us here, weekenders are the things that will keep the dancers going to the stage where people will want local freestyles. In fact some of us are getting together to dance tonight - on a small scale but our first freestyle. Might only be 15 people (only arranged yesterday!) and only for a couple of hours but it wouldn't be happening at all if we hadn't just got back from a weekender.

Only been to Southport so can't compare with other ones but we have all been very impressed.

A bit late but I wanted to add a huge THANKS and CONGRATULATIONS to John, Wes & crew for running another successful Southport weekender!

It was a fantastic weekend all round with the dancers, music, teachers and venue. I definitely got my dancing fix with some awesome dances. The sore feet and sleepy eyes were worth it!

My own personal disappointment was that I missed El Nico and Nia’s class 'cause I loved their classes in May. I also love watching Nia dance. So inspiring!

MagicHans …keep us all posted re. your visit to one of our Aberdeen Beach Ballroom event. I’d definitely like more dances next time!

Finally… thanks to Vonney, Bombay Bad Boy & Rob for their excellent “innuendos r us” company.

Only two more sleeps before the B.F.G. Hopefully see you all there for dances. After that I will be a good girl and start putting work first..... honest guv!

Lisa x

Re: wot more weekenders

Ceroc....?
    Hmmm, didn't you play at MJC Peter?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38

Illl be shot for this but although great etc I thought most of the classes I attended were not as good as May. Seem a lack of preperation in a lot of classes.
    The ones I did were brilliant!! Mark & Simone's classes were inspiring, as were Amir & Kate's, they're true professionals, Mikey's Latin Passion class was brilliant and Sue Freeman's class teaching the Maddison Stroll was one of the most enjoyable I've ever done! I learned some great style tips from Leon & Lydia and Simon and Taina were amazing!! Just sorry I couldn't do more.

Everything about the weekend was better than May!! Well done the Jive Addiction team.

Thread Information