Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honest feedback/comments on venues and events

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Honest feedback/comments on venues and events

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    The Bristol site has the advantage of limiting its reviews to a specific number of local venues, which I think makes sense. If this forum had an official "review" section, should it limit itself to reviewing Scottish venues?
    Scotland? Oh yes, I keep on forgetting

But no, discussions are already on venues everywhere - reviews should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Should it limit to only reviewing venues where the relevant organisers are OK with being publically reviewed?
    Well, that sounds like way too much Official Organisation for me, so I'd say no. Although maybe an official Right To Reply would be in order; again, just to make it easier to differentiate between, say, Mr Passionate-defense-Punter replying...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Gadget ... so you are saying that unless ALL reports are made on objective, scientific grounds with irrefutable evidence and backed by the confirmation of experts then all reports on teachers, clubs etc are worthless?
    am I? I thought I was saying that every report should be taken in context with who wrote it and any other feedback for that event.

What I meant by "History" was that the review was of a past event - gone and missed. Future events are not going to be identical to this, especially if feedback has been taken on-board.

Assuming time, distance and money were not of any concern, I would rather base my decision to attend a venue on who will be going rather than who has been to past venues.

COME ON!!! Get over this anal stuff.
    Well someone's got to wear the DA hat

ALL reviews, even the ones you might not agree with, are valuable input and should be praised not criticised!
    Indeed. When they are directed to the correct people. Just posting a review on an open forum where the organisers might happen across it is not very constructive. Threads may well devolve into "grab your torch and pitchfork".

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames (paraphrased)
    Few complaints doesn't mean criticism is irrelevant.
    And equally it doesn't mean that they are views held by the majority and should be upheld.
    Hardly, anymore than a few complaints about a TV programme dictate the direction of programming.
    Isn't it more offering choice and analysing what people choose to determine what they might like again? Normally the sign of things going well, or not going well at a venue is the fluctuation in numbers - and if its going down, by that point it's normally too late.
    Not if a complaint is properly responded to.~ if a complaint is ignored, yes, that's pretty much a definition of poor customer service in my opinion.
    How can complaintives know if they are being listened to and dismissed, or being ignored? If they complain and see nothing is being done - isn't that the same as being ignored?

Active complaints are usually the tip of the iceberg. Are you saying you don't want a complaint culture?
    Yes, and no {}I would like to see both the positive and negative: eg "Crowded dance floor, but great atmosphere." Where another person may say "Got elbowed in the back, trod on and had to avoid some idiots encroaching on my space. No-one else seemed to mind."

Yeah, and there's a lot of that {sycophants} already... Hmmm, dunno what to do about that, apart from try it and see.
    It's the flip side of the "complaints culture" - defensive against attacking comments. If the 'attacks' were more constructive than "***** music" it may help.

raising expectations is a Good Thing. I'd also imagine most venue organisers would aspire to that level...
    That's just it - every other venue is seen by this person as "poor" in comparison, even though they may actually be quite good.

Looking at the excellent LeRoc in Bristol site, reviews seem to work very well there - what are the problems with this already-working example?
    Nothing, but if I were an organiser, I would rather have a chance to respond to criticism directly. I would like to be able to respond and question directly in order to pin-point any 'grey' areas. I would like suggestions on how the complaintive would like to see things resolved to get a better understanding of the problem.

Basically I think that the "review" idea is OK for a review of past events; it's static.
    You need two-way communication for any feedback to be actioned, and the best way to do that is to approach the organisers directly.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    It's the flip side of the "complaints culture" - defensive against attacking comments. If the 'attacks' were more constructive than "***** music" it may help.
    I'd agree with that - you can't (shouldn't) just post general, casual comments. Even if the music was *****

Nothing, but if I were an organiser, I would rather have a chance to respond to criticism directly. I would like to be able to respond and question directly in order to pin-point any 'grey' areas. I would like suggestions on how the complaintive would like to see things resolved to get a better understanding of the problem.
    Also agree ( )

Thinking about it, a Right To Reply would hopefully encourage response - which I believe to be a good thing.

You need two-way communication for any feedback to be actioned,
    Yes... but
    and the best way to do that is to approach the organisers directly.
    No (whew!). I believe the the best way to do that is for the organisers to encourage a culture of easy constructive criticism, quick and civil responses to such criticism, and positive movement on areas generally perceived to be weak (e.g. quality of dancefloor).

As, I believe, is done in Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by David James
    As long as it's done well, I think it's OK. "Well" = "balanced, non-abusive, verifiable, credible, informative and constructive".

For example:

"I went to XXX venue last night, for XXX's class. Class was fun, but the "moving around" system was a bit of a mess, all musical-chairs it seemed. I liked the teacher's sense of humour, more original than normal CerocClone, but I wish he'd talked a bit more about XXX, because one of the moves was really awkward if you didn't know that."
    - something along those lines is critical, but constuctive.