Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Style

Re: Style

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    I've started this thread in the Beginners' Corner as I feel it is never too soon to realise the importance of developing an appealing personal style. Far more important than accumulating a large collection of moves.
    At last a man with a bit of sense! Beginners, listen carefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    ...... errr seem to have forgotten ... something de la Rouchette ? ... blimey I've been there too !
    Think that's Le Caveau de la Huchette at 5 Rue de la Huchette (just off St Michel) that you are referring to.

If you want to know what style is......

Victor

I love the different styles, both to watch and to dance with.

Women with style - I watch other women dancing and aspire to improving...

Men with style - fantastic to watch a guy with style - but also so lovely to dance with a man who has his own style, makes the dance different.

Best when you develop your own style, bits you have picked up from watching other dancers and put them together in a way that suits you. Personally I have found dancing to more bluesy numbers the way to develop/think about my style, as I have more time to think about what I am doing and the music seems to be asking me to do more with it, if you know what I mean. (Probably haven't put that very well )
    Last edited by Lynn; 26th-September-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    If you want to know what style is......

Victor

What am I missing here? For me the moves are sequential and mostly delineated by the return and step back. Will I get to the stage where I can improvise and throw in a few wobblies? Or, miss out the return as I was reading on another thread.

Not so sure. There's a lovely 'bounce' there when it goes right, which must add to the style of the dance, and a nice flourish to send the lady spinning.

I suppose it helps not to think too much about leading a return (not mandatory) and stepping back (likewise). Too much stepping back and in will destroy any attempt at style. Try bending the rules.

Hmmm...for me a step where you spend the entire time facing away from your partner is one to be avoided. That is not to say that the catapault isn't a good basic MJ move for beginners...and there is also the question of getting away from the tendency to bounciness, which has been covered recently in another thread.

Should I be spinning clockwise off my left foot and anti-clockwise off my right?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMc
    Should I be spinning clockwise off my left foot and anti-clockwise off my right?

Is that related to the theory that water spirals the other way down the plug hole in the southern hemisphere?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear

I suppose it helps not to think too much about leading a return (not mandatory) and stepping back (likewise). Too much stepping back and in will destroy any attempt at style. Try bending the rules.
    Oh, believe me, I do ;-0

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
    Hmmm...for me a step where you spend the entire time facing away from your partner is one to be avoided. That is not to say that the catapault isn't a good basic MJ move for beginners...and there is also the question of getting away from the tendency to bounciness, which has been covered recently in another thread.
    There are many partners who rarely make eye contact (so this move isn't entirely inappropriate) yet do appear to be quite genuine in their post dance thanks or, more tellingly, continue to take the initiative in the invitation department.

Perhaps 'bounce' wasn't quite the right word to use in this context. I was referring to that moment of tension when the lead leans forward with a double handhold, whilst the follower compensates by leaning back, followed by an elasticlly rebound. A horizontal bounce if you like.

I dislike that vertical bounce as much as anyone, especially if it is 'hard' and comes through to the hand, and do my best to avoid such followers. But I can cope with it when it is moderate and offers no threat to my lead.

One of my favourite followers, who is not showy and like me is never going to be seen as an 'advanced' dancer, does seem to have a somewhat bouncy movement when dancing with others. Her way of 'playing around' I guess. Yet when we dance, and we are both I am sure, on each others 'favourites' list, I experience the most delightfully light follower and much of the time it really is 'fingertip to fingertip'. Even my minimalist 'hatchback' is followed without hesitation. No inclination whatsoever to go into a yoyo.

linny lou!

As a beginner myself I find it interesting to watch people with different styles as you can pick up various moves from other people adapt them into my own style.I also enjoy dancing with men with different styles as it makes it fun and unless youve danced with the person b4 you dont know what to expect untill u start dancing with them.

I have to admit there are certain styles that people have that i prefer to dance with and watch. However, if someone has a style that isnt particularly pleasing to watch who are we to judge?why does that make them any worse? I feel that if these dancers are enjoying themselves and can do the moves well within a style theyre comfortable with what does it matter?! Afterall everyone is unique! Also if we start 'judging' styles, dancers are going to wonder if theyre good enough or not and beginners or people who dont feel they have a style will be less likely to have the confidence to try to out something new!

... There are many partners who rarely make eye contact (so this move isn't entirely inappropriate) yet do appear to be quite genuine in their post dance thanks or, more tellingly, continue to take the initiative in the invitation department...
    According to a program I saw on BBC deciphering facial expressions takes a lot of brain power. When someone is faced with a task that takes concentration they will tend to look away from peoples faces. Now I understand the lack of eye contact from beginners, and take a lack of eye contact as perhaps being a sympthom of my dancing being too complex for my partner.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver

According to a program I saw on BBC deciphering facial expressions takes a lot of brain power. When someone is faced with a task that takes concentration they will tend to look away from peoples faces. .....
    I know I find myself staring off into outer space in parts of a conversation where I have to remember and martial facts into some sort of statement or argument. Con artists however have the knack and skills to maintain eye contact and almost mesmorise their victim.

Now I understand the lack of eye contact from beginners, and take a lack of eye contact as perhaps being a sympthom of my dancing being too complex for my partner.
    It isn't just beginners though, and it's only the very raw beginner who could think that my dancing was complex.

I'm sure personality type is a big factor too and I had a couple of dances tonight with a very 'in your face' follower, (She knows who she is), who actually got me to 'play' a little. Not quite a first, but almost.

Unregistered

I had a couple of dances tonight with a very 'in your face' follower, (She knows who she is)
    eeek. that wasn't me, was it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered

eeek. that wasn't me, was it?!
    Cudna bin - she's well on the register ;-)

Reading this thread made me wonder; can style and presence ever be considered the same thing or even just interlinked? What about musicality and rhythm? Surely having musicality and rhythm help to aid style? I'm of the "style is innate" school of thought. (Sort of. Uhm I think! )

I think it can be taught but only to a certain extent: you can teach someone where to hold that "spare arm" or what angle to have their feet at on the dance floor but I wonder if the dancer with the more innate sense of style is the one who will carry it off better??

I was thinking about the concept of "style" in other areas. If you think of someone as "stylish" what does it mean? Two people can wear the same outfit but one can look so much better than the other. (The ability to accesorize perhaps ? ) Can you really, truly teach someone to "carry it off" to have style or presence? Does confidence really help with style? Or is it all an act?

Too many questions me thinks!

linny lou!

Quote Originally Posted by babycass77

Too many questions me thinks!

According to a program I saw on BBC deciphering facial expressions takes a lot of brain power. When someone is faced with a task that takes concentration they will tend to look away from peoples faces.
    I will agree with that, but for me, when I first started, I wasn't comfortable looking intensley into other people's eyes who I didn't know - partly due to 10 years of latin american dancing where I was always taught "thou shalt not look into your partners eyes" and partly just due to me not knowing them (what can I say, I'm shy and retiring).

One of the best things I always found when I was a beginner was dancing with the guys who deliberately pulled silly faces. It always made me burst out laughing, begin to relax, and the dances were always better as a result!

OK slightly off topic so I'll stop now

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi
    (what can I say, I'm shy and retiring).

One of the best things I always found when I was a beginner was dancing with the guys who deliberately pulled silly faces. It always made me burst out laughing, begin to relax, and the dances were always better as a result!
    Oh dear, I hope that isn't me...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi

Oh dear, I hope that isn't me...
    Well if I burst out laughing the next time I'm dancing with you, you'll know why!

Well if I burst out laughing the next time I'm dancing with you, you'll know why!
    So you've figured out who I am then? Cool.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information