Thread: Are there any musicians on this forum?

Are there any musicians on this forum?

I have two main hobbies: dance and music.

I am a much better musician than I am a dancer although I am quite into my dancing/competing etc.

Are there any others out there like me who take their dance seriously but take their music much more seriously? And if so what do you play or are you a vocalist?

Re: Are there any musicians on this forum?

Steve

Played the clarinet and sax in my time but not for a long while now. The musical ability, appreciation and so on are stilll there, but having to get to grips with it again now I am studying performing arts at college. Hope it comes back quickly!

Need to enter the realms of being a bit of a vocalist too now, but not a natural, hope to get good coaching. Got a BA so far! (Bloody Awful)!

A better musician than dancer, you must be phenomenal Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Ste
    I have two main hobbies: dance and music.

I am a much better musician than I am a dancer although I am quite into my dancing/competing etc.

Are there any others out there like me who take their dance seriously but take their music much more seriously? And if so what do you play or are you a vocalist?
    I played the fiddle in ceilidh bands for years, but am severely out of practice now

I'm a drummer. So I hang round with musicians...

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Well Ste,

I play keyboards and a little bit of drums / percussion and used to sing in two bands and have had some success as a session backing vocalist in studios.

The two bands I was in ran for four years and six years.

I also played keyboards (and sequencer...!!!) in a duo doing pubs and clubs with an amazing female singer until she got married and moved away.

I still have a tinkle on the keys and sequence tracks (as a hobby) but with dancing, it kinda takes over your life, especially teaching three or four nights each week.

Perhaps we should get a band together - The Forumites....???
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Music for me definitely comes before dancing
    Play the piano, cello and the flute. Want a alto sax next......

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    Music for me definitely comes before dancing
    Play the piano, cello and the flute. Want a alto sax next......
    Didnt we do this before ? There are quite a few musicians on here - CJ, Dance Demon, Tramp er..Ive forgotten where was that other thread...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Didnt we do this before ? There are quite a few musicians on here - CJ, Dance Demon, Tramp er..Ive forgotten where was that other thread...
    Did you mean this one?

btw.... I play bass, quite rustily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Did you mean this one?

btw.... I play bass, quite rustily.
    I'm a poor bassist too, maybe between us we'd cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J Pownall
    I play keyboards and a little bit of drums / percussion and used to sing in two bands and have had some success as a session backing vocalist in studios.

Perhaps we should get a band together - The Forumites....???
    Is there anything you don't do? I don't know how you find the time?!

I love the idea of the Forumites. It'd be a sell-out!

Px

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

I sing... done a fair bit of musical theatre and worked with a band for a while

I am unfortunatley totally unmusical, can't sing, can't play any instrument well, not even spoons or a kazoo.

Must dash now to a thread where I am wanted....boo......boo....hoo

Commercial Operator

Well, most of you will know by now I play in a band called "Read It And Weep."

We play mainly our own material inan old school rock/metal vein and have 2 full length CDs available from me.

If you want to see what all the fuss is about, come and see us play Bannerman's in Edin: Sun 19th Sept, doors 8.30, cost £4.

I forgot to mention that my instrument is mainly electric guitar.

I started playing piano when I was six but gave up when eight an started again at 11. I can only play bits of classical easy pop stuff really.

I got into heavy metal and started playing guitar at about 15. I practised a lot until I was 23. I played jazz funk and then got trained in jazz bebop style guitar by Trefor Owen one of this country's finest teachers. He had hopes that i would be a great guitar player but I kind of lost my way.Since then I have played at some London venues playing gospel/pop type stuff and also in a heavy metal band ( it wasn't very good ). A lot of my friends have made it in some way. One guy asked me to teach him and I didn't and he ended up a pop idol coach. I used to play at competitions at Ronny Scott's for a guy who later wrote music for the Commonwealth Games and another good friend played for a well known Christian recording artist and also Jamie Oliver. I have also played once or twice with David and Carrie Grant and a bass player called Steve Lawson. I don't know whether Steve is one of the country's best bass players but he definitely is one of music's best net workers!!! Trefor introduced me to Ike Issaacs the ex BBC guitarist who helped to bring on Martin Taylor ( probably UK's greatest jazz guitarist ) and when I was in Aus I visited Ike and jammed with him and also was treated to a performance especially for me by him and his wife. He also fed me!

I am probably about to get some kind of band together with young friends to do my own songs. I would like to form a kind of Tony Remy meets led Zep meets Jimmy Hendrix meets Heart type band.

My favourite guitarists are Yngwie Malmsteen ( altho I don't have that much of his work ) Robben Forde, Mike Stern, Pat Martino, George Benson, Michael Schenker, Eddie Van Halen, Nile Rogers, my mate Dave Brons, Martin Taylor, Dann Huff. My favourite is probably Michael Landau but the guys who influenced me most are probably Pat Martino, Martin Taylor, Trefor Owen and Steve Lukather.

Commercial Operator

My favourite guitarists are Yngwie Malmsteen ( altho I don't have that much of his work ) Robben Forde, Mike Stern, Pat Martino, George Benson, Michael Schenker, Eddie Van Halen, Nile Rogers, my mate Dave Brons, Martin Taylor, Dann Huff. My favourite is probably Michael Landau but the guys who influenced me most are probably Pat Martino, Martin Taylor, Trefor Owen and Steve Lukather.
    No Dave Meniketti??!?!?!?!??!?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would like to form a kind of Tony Remy meets led Zep meets Jimmy Hendrix meets Heart type band.
    Amazing! Tony Remy, is one of my husbands best mates, they were at school together from the age of 5. He plays (a variety of instruments) with Annie Lennox! Great guy!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Oops who is Dave Meniketti?

That is funny Lory. i have been listening to Tony and learning some of his licks. I saw him support the amzing Robben Forde and SpyroGyra. I think Spyrogyra were incredible.

Have you noticed that many of the best guitarists have Italian type surnames??!!!!

Thread Information