Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phobia's!

Phobia's!

For some odd reason, I decided to walk into work today. Took a wrong turn and was faced with a bridge.........now these are not normally a problem to me, but this particular one had wires at the side and gave the impression that it was 'open sided'.

I plucked up courage and walked across, talking to myself (!) on the way over in attempt to reassure myself! Nearly at the end, I realised that I had to cross another bridge - this time, higher and more narrow, with even less than the first one had for sides! I stopped in absolute horror and turned round to face about ten people coming towards me. The expression on my face must have been really funny as one man stopped and asked if I was OK! I told him that I have a phobia over 'open sided' bridges and was sorely tempted to ask if I could hold his hand to cross the next bit! Rationality restored itself and I managed to get over - walking about six inches behind the poor chap! He must have thought I was barmy!!

Anyone else have a phobia spring up on them like that?

I have also been up the Eiffel Tower and very nearly ended up in tears, as I found it nearly impossible to walk 'the plank' into the lift to get down! Now I understand why the Pope kisses the ground when he gets off a plane - he must be terrified, poor man!

Elaine

Re: Phobia's!

Awww Elaine!

My advice would be to keep going to that same bridge. Sooner or later, you will "get over" that phobia

I have a fear of spiders wearing raincoats! - anoraknophobia I think it's called

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one

I'm quite luck really, in that I have no phobias (although one or two things may unsettle me a bit), so I can't imagine what it must be like to have to face a real phobia

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB
    For some odd reason, I decided to walk into work today. Took a wrong turn and was faced with a bridge.........now these are not normally a problem to me, but this particular one had wires at the side and gave the impression that it was 'open sided'.

I plucked up courage and walked across, talking to myself (!) on the way over in attempt to reassure myself! Nearly at the end, I realised that I had to cross another bridge - this time, higher and more narrow, with even less than the first one had for sides! I stopped in absolute horror and turned round to face about ten people coming towards me. The expression on my face must have been really funny as one man stopped and asked if I was OK! I told him that I have a phobia over 'open sided' bridges and was sorely tempted to ask if I could hold his hand to cross the next bit! Rationality restored itself and I managed to get over - walking about six inches behind the poor chap! He must have thought I was barmy!!

Anyone else have a phobia spring up on them like that?

I have also been up the Eiffel Tower and very nearly ended up in tears, as I found it nearly impossible to walk 'the plank' into the lift to get down! Now I understand why the Pope kisses the ground when he gets off a plane - he must be terrified, poor man!

Elaine

yeahy a fellow bridge phobic! But then i am afraid of everything! The first time i ever crossed the Erskine Bridge in glasgow i was a passenger in a car. i had to get out at the other side. i then proceeded to collaspse and throw up all over myself! I hate anything to do with heights including flying which i have to do on a regular bases! I feel ill every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Awww Elaine!

My advice would be to keep going to that same bridge. Sooner or later, you will "get over" that phobia

I have a fear of spiders wearing raincoats! - anoraknophobia I think it's called

ha ha sorry but i actually think that was very funny! Even though i am afraid of spiders!

I have a phobia of monkeys. They make my hair stand on end. Last time I went to Scotland. Someone had a little toy one on his back Terrified me! Made me very uneasy all night.... or was that just C.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Pammy
    I have a phobia of monkeys. They make my hair stand on end. Last time I went to Scotland. Someone had a little toy one on his back Terrified me! Made me very uneasy all night.... or was that just C.J.

Big hug

i just noticed you have dori swimming across your avatar. Wow how cool! But just one question how are you going to pull that one off for the competition!

I've never been good with phones. I don't like phoning people, even friends. However I do like chatting to people, esp. if they phone me , got over worrying about answering it. It takes some time to gather the courage to pick up and dial. As for phoning strangers? Its getting better, part of my job is manning the tech support line, taking calls and phoning people back. I was disscussing this with friends and a ex-collegue from years ago was listening. "Wondered why you always passed over the phone calls. Thought you were just a lasy B******". Wonder if I'll ever grow out of it.

Blog Entries

I get really scared around the superfluous apostrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    I've never been good with phones. I don't like phoning people, even friends. However I do like chatting to people, esp. if they phone me , got over worrying about answering it. It takes some time to gather the courage to pick up and dial. As for phoning strangers? Its getting better, part of my job is manning the tech support line, taking calls and phoning people back. I was disscussing this with friends and a ex-collegue from years ago was listening. "Wondered why you always passed over the phone calls. Thought you were just a lasy B******". Wonder if I'll ever grow out of it.

Which art the lazy b@$*@£" bit or the phobia bit?

I also have a phobia of kilt pins, and things that can get caught in them....

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    yeahy a fellow bridge phobic! But then i am afraid of everything! The first time i ever crossed the Erskine Bridge in glasgow i was a passenger in a car. i had to get out at the other side. i then proceeded to collaspse and throw up all over myself! I hate anything to do with heights including flying which i have to do on a regular bases! I feel ill every time!

You would have hated to be with me a couple of years ago then, when I had to cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge after the balloon festival in Bristol. They had stopped the cars to allow pedestrians to cross - the only trouble was that there were thousands and the bridge swayed from side to side! I ran! Thankfully this year they closed it completely!!

Nothing wrong with kilt pins Pammy - just get the guy you are dancing with to put you into as many drops as possible

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    Dunno - is that a phobia or a lack of confidence? I used to hate answering the telephone in my first job, but then I was only 16! Anyway - poor you - hope it gets better!

Just remembered, knew someone who had a phobia of buttons! His Mother told him when he was little, that if he put a button in his mouth it would kill him. What she forgot to explain of course is that he could choke on anything like that! As a consequence, he grew up believing that buttons can kill! He used to do up his shirts etc by not looking at the buttons!

Elaine

You would have hated to be with me a couple of years ago then, when I had to cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge after the balloon festival in Bristol. They had stopped the cars to allow pedestrians to cross - the only trouble was that there were thousands and the bridge swayed from side to side! I ran! Thankfully this year they closed it completely!!

Nothing wrong with kilt pins Pammy - just get the guy you are dancing with to put you into as many drops as possible

Elaine
    Oh sounds scary. The bridge that is. Although the drops sound fun!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just remembered, knew someone who had a phobia of buttons! His Mother told him when he was little, that if he put a button in his mouth it would kill him. What she forgot to explain of course is that he could choke on anything like that! As a consequence, he grew up believing that buttons can kill! He used to do up his shirts etc by not looking at the buttons!

Elaine
    one of my friends husbands has that! Weird or what!

I don't like belly buttons! Especially those deep cavernous ones!

And rough wood!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    one of my friends husbands has that! Weird or what!

I don't like belly buttons! Especially those deep cavernous ones!

And rough wood!

belly buttons are yucky!!! but imaging how your tummy would look if you didn't have one. And where would you get pierced if your belly buttons not there! Not that i have mine done. Some men do find it very attractive!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    belly buttons are yucky!!! but imaging how your tummy would look if you didn't have one. And where would you get pierced if your belly buttons not there! Not that i have mine done. Some men do find it very attractive!
    Some men have a thing about piercings, it's true... eh C.J.

...I plucked up courage and walked across, talking to myself (!) on the way over in attempt to reassure myself! Nearly at the end, I realised that I had to cross another bridge - this time, higher and more narrow, with even less than the first one had for sides!
    If you are ever over in N Ireland - give Carrick-a-rede rope bridge a miss! (Have you ever been over it Drathzel?)

I'm not too keen on cockroaches - I would look away if I saw them on TV. But spending a few months at a time in West Africa I sort of had to put up with them! Also used to be very scared of wasps - if there was one in a room it took up all my attention. I remember one being on a bus once and I thought I would have to miss my stop as I didn't want to walk down the bus past it, but I also wanted to be off the bus asap! Much better now, if they are near me I might move away, esp if outdoors, but otherwise I more or less ignore them.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    If you are ever over in N Ireland - give Carrick-a-rede rope bridge a miss! (Have you ever been over it Drathzel?)
    i was at my nephews wedding a year past May, in Portrush. They were meant to get their wedding photos taken on the Giants Causeway but it was pouring rain unfortunately... ..........anyway we went to the carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. I'm not scared of bridges,..normally.. but crossing this was well scary

I had to cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge after the balloon festival in Bristol.

Elaine
    the swaying was a big problem at last year's Balloon fester so this year they closed the brige during the ballon fester

may be we neeed to take over the brige in a balloon to see if that any better
    Last edited by philsmove; 15th-September-2004 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pammy
    no that was Michael from Glasgow

Isnt boomer a monkey

Thread Information