Thread: Clothes

Clothes

Following on from the "shoes" thread; does anyone have any contacts for tailors or folk that make clothes - esp for competitions/events.

I know a couple, but they only do ladies tailoring - seemingly gents is completley different.

{I know that there was mention of this on another thread, but I couldn't find it.}

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Clothes

Felix Dancewear do men's clothing Gadget - but there's bound to be someone in Aberdeen that would be able to help. There's also a fab shop in Edinburgh (FC and JB got their Open costumes there) but you'd need to ask Melanie what it's called
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Following on from the "shoes" thread; does anyone have any contacts for tailors or folk that make clothes - esp for competitions/events.

I know a couple, but they only do ladies tailoring - seemingly gents is completley different.

{I know that there was mention of this on another thread, but I couldn't find it.}
    My reply to a thread a while ago:
    Last year, actually at Hove, I bought a beautiful skirt from a lady called Jennie who was having a sale there. She had some lovely clothes and makes them herself. I think she makes things for competition dancers too. She had a big book/album with her full of her past creations - they looked great. She is based down South but has a website: http://www.customclothes.co.uk/
    Last time I looked at the website it kept falling over mind you. Might be worth getting in touch as I know she travels around - the last time I saw her was in Blackpool.

Linda

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena
    Felix Dancewear do men's clothing Gadget
    Felix dancewear don't really do the range of mens clothes we need for dance. I'm in there at least once a month to witness Sue's lunar spending frenzy and Felix seem to have the same tired stock of 6 mens clothing items. My advice is to get to know someone locally who can make you stuff for competitions.

Failing that, PM me with an idea of what you're after and I could probably find it in one of the more off-the-wall guys shops in Brighton.

.. or you could wear womens clothes, there's soooo much more to choose from

There is a lady dancer in Edinburgh who has recently started a business making/altering clothes, including dancewear/costumes....anyone who wants to know more please PM me. She's recently made me some things and I'm more than happy to recommend her.

If you hunt round the trendy/punky/funky shops in big cities, esp. London, you'll find loads of dance gear. Usually smaller shops have more unusual gear, colourful/shiny/sparkly etc.

Joey D's is in Edinburgh on Broughton Street. Fantastic shop though unfortunately doesn't do custom trousers. As Sheena said, we got the tops we wore in the open from there. Also another couple of things that are yet to be showcased He's a fab guy and well worth the look
    His new technique is blasting his clothes with a shotgun for that 'worn' look He'll do pretty much anything for the sake of fashion

filthycute x x

B.T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by filthycute
    Joey D's is in Edinburgh on Broughton Street. Fantastic shop though unfortunately doesn't do custom trousers. His new technique is blasting his clothes with a shotgun for that 'worn' look He'll do pretty much anything for the sake of fashion

filthycute x x

Passed that a few weeks ago and the clothes look great ....if you look and dance like Melanie and James. Those of us with a more 'sedate' appearance might look just a little odd wearing some of his 'stuff'.

What's wrong with some nice slacks and a polo shirt from M&S ????? I coul dstand on my shirt and make it look dirty ........ might make me look kinda macho

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by filthycute
    Joey D's is in Edinburgh on Broughton Street. Fantastic shop though unfortunately doesn't do custom trousers. As Sheena said, we got the tops we wore in the open from there. Also another couple of things that are yet to be showcased He's a fab guy and well worth the look
    His new technique is blasting his clothes with a shotgun for that 'worn' look He'll do pretty much anything for the sake of fashion

filthycute x x
    Yep...Joey does some well different stuff. He also does a fab range of retro shoes ...all for £20 a pair. I got a pair of 1940s style two tone basket brogues (brown leather with beige hessian )..and full leather sole. Only problem is all the guys from the rockin' scene know when he gets the new ones in, so you have to be quick..

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Talking Re: Clothes

Get down to Camden Market - it is the doggies cojones for clothing of all types and sorts including retro, antique, modern, clubbing etc etc etc.

In fact, I'm sure Sparkles and I could give you a guided tour.....
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

The Forum Legend

We (Sparkles and I) went last week. There's a fab shop called 'Underground' that does great stuff...

Trampy

Glitter Queen

I can't recommend Camden Market enough. There's certainly something there for everyone, and if you look in the right places there are some real bargins too .
    Anyone want a trip there just let me know and I'd be more than happy to give a guided tour
    S. x

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    Yep...Joey does some well different stuff. He also does a fab range of retro shoes ...all for £20 a pair. I got a pair of 1940s style two tone basket brogues (brown leather with beige hessian )..and full leather sole. Only problem is all the guys from the rockin' scene know when he gets the new ones in, so you have to be quick..
    The first time Melanie and I went into Joey D's he was telling us that he started out as a shoe designer. This progressed to him getting an appearance on Richard & Judy 'This Morning' prog'.

Needless to say things have pretty much taken off since then.......

Really would recommend this guy. He's genuinely friendly and outgoing and seems to understand a customers........needs .

If you like the stuff in the shop but it just doesn't quite do-it for you he'll happily adjust/change it until it does...... Thoroughly top bloke.

James

p.s. If joey D is reading this....any chance of any commission

Thread Information