Re: How do you teach spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Sorry!

Greg
    Not you, Silly!
    And stop apologising

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB

You will never do incredible spins this way - maybe just 4 or 5 ...
    In a lifetime? In a dance? All at once !!!!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard

lets hope he means per dance

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    ...ie have a straight arm and pull this round with your body following it, rather than pull your body from your feet. Also it doesn't put as much strain on your knees/ankles. I find it works for me, and have never had the strength in my legs or balance to pull myself round from there. I think you do this without realising it Rachel, as you tend to lead the spin by turning your head and spotting and you have your arm up at shoulder height at the same time.
    Ahhh, I think I've finally clicked - I reckon we've got a different definition of 'leading' here!

When I'm talking about leading a spin, I'm thinking where the force or impetus comes from to get your body round. And for me (unless I'm completely mistaken) I reckon that comes from my feet, when I step into the spin, with it working all the way up the legs.

And I think you're talking about the actions you do as a pre-cursor to a spin. Yes, I do position my arms, and use my head (when I remember), but I'd find it absolutely impossible to use just the strength of them to drag my body round into a spin!

Think about it - you can spin even when you're not using your head or arms at all, can't you, just by stepping into it and using your legs. But you couldn't lead yourself into a spin just by swinging your arms round and turning your head. You've got to have sufficient force coming from the lower part of your body. No?

Anyway, yes, we'll do some tests in the car park sometime!
    Rachel

you couldn't lead yourself into a spin just by swinging your arms round and turning your head
    Something I've been shown. Move your right arm around yourself anti-clockwise, twist your upper body along with it, and tense. Now accelerate your hand in a broad sweeping motion clockwise, again twisting your body as well. When it reaches full stretch, shift your weight and balance on the ball of your right foot, stop your right arm and right twist dead, and bring your right hand in close to your body. You can sometimes get a full turn out of the momentum stored in that clockwise twist. Depends on floor/shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    ... You can sometimes get a full turn out of the momentum stored in that clockwise twist. Depends on floor/shoes.
    Ok, yes, you're right - you probably could get enough strength and momentum just using your arms in this way to pull yourself round for one turn. (Can anyone do more spins just by doing this?)

But if you're thinking of learning how to do quick double/multiple spins, would this method be a good foundation for that?
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachel; 3rd-September-2004 at 10:49 AM.

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    All at once. Just not by me!

I first saw this technique taught by Sam West - a Carolina Shag dancer from the US. He will do 4 slow spins one way, stop himself on his partner, and do 4 spins the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    All at once. Just not by me!

I first saw this technique taught by Sam West - a Carolina Shag dancer from the US. He will do 4 slow spins one way, stop himself on his partner, and do 4 spins the other way.

Wow! Anyone who can do one controlled slow motion spin gets my admiration!
    R.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    And stop apologising
    Sorry (guilty conscience).

I've done some excellent spinning workshops, with both Nina, and Robert Cordoba, after trying to get to terms with the spotting, one of the best tips for me was not lifting the spare foot too far, so it is in the right place if you need to paddle round the multiple spins.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Ok, yes, you're right - you probably could get enough strength and momentum just using your arms in this way to pull yourself round for one turn. (Can anyone do more spins just by doing this?)

But if you're thinking of learning how to do quick double/multiple spins, would this method be a good foundation for that?
    Rachel
    I am honestly pretty sure that's what I was taught, but you're right, if you don't have any strength in your legs to push off then it won't work I don't think. If I'm doing a good strong spin, or a double spin then the initial impetus (sp?) always starts with my upper body, and it's that that keeps things going, otherwise I tend to fall over my own feet! I guess you probably need input (and balance) from most of your muscles for a really good spin though.

Do you think this will work in the car park? The loos at work are much better for spinning (tiled floor for anyone else reading this) and you have the advantage of the big mirrors (although not as much room) - I'd feel a bit of an idiot if anyone walked in on me spinning away in the loos at work (not that it's stopped me in the past!) , but hell it's more interesting than sitting at my desk!

Thread Information