Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead for a Catapult?

Blog Entries

Re: Lead for a Catapult?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I'm still not clear why.
    Sorry to come back to it again, Gus. It seems, to me, that it's easier for you chaps to do the bowling motion with your follower attached, when the inside of your arm is pointing upwards to begin with, as facilitated by the hooky grip, if you see what I mean. Or are you & Gadget double jointed? (and, if so........ )

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    The important part of the lead . . .
    I know it's not essentially on thread, but for me, an important part of the move is (on the step back) the man looking over his right shoulder to check the space is clear so he's not going to be smacking his partner into another dancer. Although it's not actually part of the lead, the lady then already has a pretty good idea where she is going, and the amount of force required is minimal.

Greg

I don't normally have a problem with leading this move, including with first-timers. So last night, I decided try and think about what I was doing, to see just why I find it easy - this of course was easier said than done! .

The only things that I noticed I do, are things very similar to what Rob pointed out earlier in the thread, i.e. the bowling motion and a step to the left and back. This step I find, gets me out of the lady's line and indicates that she is going to be heading in that direction. In addition, I always turn my hand so that palm and inner arm are clearly facing up, with a slight bend at the elbow. I never change hand grip though (that I'm aware of), during any part of this move.

Having said all that, I never do the windmill in freestyle, so I'm not sure how different my lead would be if I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    If you do a catapult with a light R-R handhold, then the offered left hand can look very much like a windmill with a throw.
    ... which happened to me in JazzJive yesterday. This is really disconcerting, because the follower ends up on the opposite side of you to what you were expecting, with the opposite hand to what you were expecting, about three beats earlier than when you were expecting. Argh! Emergency first move!

Thread Information