Thread: The End of an Era

Commercial Operator

The End of an Era

This may mean nothing to 90% of forumites, but hearing this from the BBC was a sad moment for me:-

Goodbye to M4 Lucozade landmark

A landmark neon Lucozade sign greeting motorists entering London is to be taken down on Tuesday after 50 years.
    The 1950s landmark beside the M4 in Brentford depicts the drink being poured into a glass with the slogan "Lucozade replaces lost energy".

It sits on the side of a now derelict building which is being sold for redevelopment into the Audi UK HQ.

The sign will be carefully dismantled before it is donated to the nearby Gunnersbury Park Museum.

Such was the popularity of the landmark that the building's owner, drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline, kept it illuminated long after the building fell from use.

A spokeswoman for GlaxoSmithKline said: "When it was made clear that the building was going to be sold there was very strong feeling locally, people hold the sign in very high esteem.

"And it's not just local people, it has been a welcome to London for visitors on their way in from Heathrow, it's a landmark saying that you have arrived in London. It is obviously loved."
    Without that sign, I wonder how many travellers en route to Ealing will now miss their exit?

Greg

Re: The End of an Era

I wonder how many travellers en route to Ealing will now miss their exit?
    Years ago I took the wrong exit off the M62 and end up heading north up the M5 rather than south.

We had driven for nearly an hour when my then girlfriend remarked “does the sunset in the east "

The former "Martini" clock tower just isn't the same anymore, either.

Commercial Operator

In just over a year's time there will be another icon disappearing from our streets, the Route Master London bus. There are a lot of postcards that will become out of date. Now I'm not sure I've I should mourn this one, as one of the most embarrassing moments of my life was due to the open back bus (though this was in Brighton.)
    But should we be living in the past, or looking to the future? - the tram

greg

Commercial Operator

Famous landmarks are disappearing all over the place. In Edinburgh they have just taken down the Gasometers at Granton, which could be seen for miles in all directions. They were particularly useful as navigation points to shipping in the Firth of Forth. it,s really wierd them not being there any more
    the Lucozade sign Story also makes me think of the bridge on the M8 as you come into Glasgow at the Baillieston junction. Ever since I can remember there was a large advert for "Cutty Sark" scotch whisky on it and it was always known as the Cutty Sark bridge. then suddenly a couple of years ago it became the Real Radio Bridge......I'll always think of it as the former....
    Last edited by Dance Demon; 31st-August-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    This may mean nothing to 90% of forumites, but hearing this from the BBC was a sad moment for me:-

Without that sign, I wonder how many travellers en route to Ealing will now miss their exit?

Greg
    I always knew I was getting close to Hammersmith when I saw that.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thankfully we do have SOME good news, The new Wembley Stadium Arch It can be seen from miles and miles away! And I think it looks quite cool!

It takes me at least 20mins to drive to it from my house but I can see it from the top of my road!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Thankfully we do have SOME good news, The new Wembley Stadium Arch It can be seen from miles and miles away! And I think it looks quite cool!

It takes me at least 20mins to drive to it from my house but I can see it from the top of my road!
    I'm not so sure that this can't be seen from High Wycombe.

I was driving down the M40 while Euro 2004 was on and the arch was lit up, and from Daws Hill (where the big radio mast is on the left hand side just past J3 heading towards London) I'm sure you could see the glow in the distance.

I have seen it closer up though, and it is very impressive.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

When I was little we would travel up to London from Devon, and that sign always meant we were *nearly there*. It's definitely the loss of an icon for me!

But should we be living in the past, or looking to the future? - the tram
    So true - they do appear to be bringing the tram back (why ?) - where else can you see them besides Croydon & Blackpool

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

They're bringing them back in Edinburgh Minnie......constuction of the new tramway is under way now.....

Trams

They've had them in Nottingham for a few years now.

Thread Information