Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Re: Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Jooles
    GB didn't qualify a team for the show jumping. We simply don't rank highly enough in the world. Ireland though do have a team here.
    Thanks. I was wondering afterwards f we didn't have enough good horse/rider combinations. There should be though! Nick Skelton jumped such a brilliant round last night - its a pity there wasn't a team all riding like that! I think I read that Dermot Lernaghan is running a training weekend in NI for up and coming riders so maybe in years to come GB and Ireland will be up there in the medals!

Blog Entries

Each home nation at one time were allowed to include two new sports into the games and there was talk in Sydney of Ballroom dancing being included. In the end I think taekwondo was included instead. However in China there is talk of no horse events being included nor some of the canoeing events. So who knows, if people in Chine do a lot of dancing, jiving may get a chance.
    Or, if London does get the 2012, maybe we just encourage the Dancesport people to lobby the organising committee, and then try to get MJ into the opening or closing ceremonies...

Synchro swimming IS still in the Olympics. I made a very tongue in cheek story about it for our programme last night.
    Aha! I haven't seen any on TV yet, but will keep watching.

I'm sorry to read the comment that the interviews and commentary is inane...when I know how hard I've worked to make the sport I'm working on a bit more entertaining or informative for everybody at home I still get upset. I'll just have to develop a much thicker skin.
    Apology already PMd to Jooles

I hope you carry on watching.....and enjoying.
    Watching as I type....

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Thanks. I was wondering afterwards f we didn't have enough good horse/rider combinations. There should be though! Nick Skelton jumped such a brilliant round last night - its a pity there wasn't a team all riding like that... maybe in years to come GB and Ireland will be up there in the medals!
    Or maybe this year... after the first round of the individual there were only 2 clear rounds - Britain and Ireland. Nick Skelton did another fantastic round - amazing considering 4 years ago he broke his neck. Well done to him!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Congratulations to Amir Khan - into the finals of the boxing - and the commentator mentioned Dick McTaggart of Dundee (very famous British boxer,who won gold in 1956 ) at least twice - hurrah!!!!!!
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I saw the Cuban world champion he might have to face in the final earlier in the games and he looked really good. It should be a really good fight in the final.

I'm now going to give Paula Radcliffe every chance for this evening by going out. It worked for Kelly Holmes on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    so maybe in years to come GB and Ireland will be up there in the medals!
    Not in years to come Lynn - Just seen Ireland get a gold in the showjumping - many congratulations
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena
    Not in years to come Lynn - Just seen Ireland get a gold in the showjumping - many congratulations
    I know - its great! A good boost to the sport in Ireland. I really wanted Nick Skelton to get a medal for GB though - just a shame those 3 fences came down in the final round (1 or 2 and he could have still won silver or gold). All the same, a great comback after a broken neck 4 years ago. Great to see so much showjumping on 'regular' TV – one of my favourite sports (you’d never have guessed )

Blog Entries

I'm sorry to read the comment that the interviews and commentary is inane. So much time and effort goes into those commentaries and interviews. ...
    I'll just have to develop a thicker skin
    I've done a quick poll in my office and it has been decided that the best way to improve the commentary will be to show a screen three quarters full of Jonathon Edwards in full smile and leave the "other action" in the top right corner where it won't distract from the talent.
    I'm also quite happy to pop over and and test the thickness of his skin.

Another medal this morning on the water - Ian Wynne managed to get bronze in the canoeing, despite having sprained his ankle falling off the team bus last night - all that training and then nearly missing out because you can't find the pavement - oops!!!!

Hoping to be near a tv someplace tonight to catch Kelly Holmes race *fingers crossed*

and a huge thanks to Jules, who sent a lovely e-mail to David to help with his homework, really kind

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Looks like they have as much trouble with judging and marking in the Olympics as they do in dancing. If they can't get it right then what hope do we have!

The scoring in the gymnastics has been a discrace.

Yes. I agree. They had to alter the marking scheme some time ago after the time of Nadia Comaneci but I think it should be revised again. I don't think Khorkina performed very well but I love all the prima donna stuff. The incident of Nemov's marks was unbelievable- I don't know what was worse- the low mark he got, or the fact that the audience was able to sway the judging. Where will it all end? I thought Nemov's behaviour was pretty sportsmanlike under the circumstances. Almost more entertaining than the gymnastics was the cameramen's attempts to catch one of the stars looking sulky. I thought the American team looked a touch mardy when they failed to get the gold but Courtney Cupets made up for it by smiling dutifully whenever she got knocked off lead position. The Korean guy's body language when he left the arena after unjustly being done out of the gold was classic - head down, shoulders up, bottom lip out, feet stomping. But I really couldn't blame him.

Have any rhythmic gymnastics - the bit where they wave the ribbons about - been televised?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    Yes. I agree. They had to alter the marking scheme some time ago after the time of Nadia Comaneci but I think it should be revised again. I don't think Khorkina performed very well but I love all the prima donna stuff. The incident of Nemov's marks was unbelievable- I don't know what was worse- the low mark he got, or the fact that the audience was able to sway the judging. Where will it all end? I thought Nemov's behaviour was pretty sportsmanlike under the circumstances. Almost more entertaining than the gymnastics was the cameramen's attempts to catch one of the stars looking sulky. I thought the American team looked a touch mardy when they failed to get the gold but Courtney Cupets made up for it by smiling dutifully whenever she got knocked off lead position. The Korean guy's body language when he left the arena after unjustly being done out of the gold was classic - head down, shoulders up, bottom lip out, feet stomping. But I really couldn't blame him.

Have any rhythmic gymnastics - the bit where they wave the ribbons about - been televised?
    I havent seen any rhythmics this time!! And like the sad little girl i am i have been watching the highlights, at least, everynight!!

Very glad the footies back on!! I was starting to get withdrawl symptons!!

I vote ceroc become an olympic sport!!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    I havent seen any rhythmics this time!! And like the sad little girl i am i have been watching the highlights, at least, everynight!!

Very glad the footies back on!! I was starting to get withdrawl symptons!!

I vote ceroc become an olympic sport!!
    According to my paper, the rhythmic gymnastics are on today and tomorrow. It doesn't look as though it is on the BBC, but it might be on Eurosport.

What a brilliant run by Kelly Holmes. Not only a gold, but a PB and something that hasn't been done since 1920 (Albert Hill did it then for GB, according to Brendan Foster). Who'd have thought at the start of the Olympics that she would do that.

I'd say she is almost certain to get the Sports Personality of the year now.

Doesn't make you feel proud to be British - fantastic Kelly rules girl power

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    What a brilliant run by Kelly Holmes. .............I'd say she is almost certain to get the Sports Personality of the year now.
    wot an amazing race

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another GOLD! Mens 4 x 100!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    According to my paper, the rhythmic gymnastics are on today and tomorrow. It doesn't look as though it is on the BBC, but it might be on Eurosport.

Damn Sky television and all other deviants!!! Thank you xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Another GOLD! Mens 4 x 100!
    That was a bit of a turn up for the book. Given the way they ran in the semi final I was sure they were either going to drop the batton or muck up the changeovers in some way. Brilliant performance.

Did anybody catch the moment when Kelly Holmes was on the podium about to receive her Gold medal for the 1500m. Hicham El Guerrouj was doing his lap of honour after winning the 5000m (the first man to win the 1500m and 5000m since Paavo Nurmi). Just as he went past the podium, he and Kelly turned to acknowledge each other's achievements - brilliant.

Commercial Operator

Just watched Amir Khan win Silver. Absolutely no disgrace in losing to a Cuban who has not been beaten since 1999. Amir boxed exceptionally well and can be proud of winning silver at the tender age of 17. definately one for the future

Well started off poorly but have redeemed ourselves!! Go GB

Thread Information