Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Olympics

I meant to start this thread yesterday but got distracted by the Sailing on TV.

Has anybody else been watching the Olympics? when you've not been dancing that is. There's been some absolutely gripping action to date - the mixed doubles in the Badminton yesterday, and I've just watched Chris Hoy power his way to Gold in the Cycling. Absolutely brilliant.

Glitter Queen

Re: Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    I meant to start this thread yesterday but got distracted by the Sailing on TV.

Has anybody else been watching the Olympics? when you've not been dancing that is. There's been some absolutely gripping action to date - the mixed doubles in the Badminton yesterday, and I've just watched Chris Hoy power his way to Gold in the Cycling. Absolutely brilliant.
    Was watching the swimming!
    Yeah it's great and so nice when our talented young men and women actually get recognition for all the hard work they put in!
    Now, onto my own personal bug-bear... when are they going to make dancing an official Olympic sport?!

Watched the three day eventing. Bit of a mess with Bettina Hoy (Germany) getting faults which no-one noticed till afterwards - getting gold for Germany - then having it taken away - then given back - latest I heard it was being disputed again. Britain was in with a real chance of a gold, ended up with team bronze and individual silver (which would be team silver and individual gold if those faults are counted).

Any other 'horsey' folk think the cross country looked pretty easy compared to British courses? Some great moments in the showjumping though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Yeah it's great and so nice when our talented young men and women actually get recognition for all the hard work they put in!
    Now, onto my own personal bug-bear... when are they going to make dancing an official Olympic sport?!
    One of my former work colleagues is now working on the London 2012 Bid team. The next time I see her, I'll ask her what the chances are of getting Dancing included :

Well done Matthew Pinsent and crew. That was an incredible effort and real edge of the seat stuff. I'd shouted myself hoarse by the end.

I see some young upstart has gotten in infront of the "Official Sports Commentator" in starting an Olympic Thread. Sassanacks!

That rowing was something else though eh! Go GB

Thumbs up Re: Olympics

The Olympics have been fantastic to watch - some very entertaining moments. I really felt for Robertson and Emms just missing out on gold but a great silver nonetheless. And the coxless-fours - my word! I've seen the medal ceremony three times now and mum and I cried each time. If Matthew doesn't get Sportsperson of the Year this year there is something very wrong!
    The swimming hasn't been too great for us, but Stephen Parry was awesome. Hopefully the two relays and Davies tonight can finish on a high. And Phelps just leaves me speechless!
    I am very concerned about the problems regarding DQs etc. I think the eventers were robbed - we should have won gold, silver and bronze. Don't know what the Jury of Appeal were thinking... As for the swimming DQ in the 200m back - what was the referee thinking!! If there is not enough information to DQ him, don't DQ him. I'd have thought they would have learnt their lesson after the Commonwealth Games, but never mind. Hopefully they'll have learnt it the hard way this time...

Anyway, rant over - lets hope that the recent build-up of medals for GB will continue after a slow start. (Especially when two of the four golds are round Scottish necks!!!)

Yea, watched Bradly Wiggins win the gold in cycling persuit. GO the bikers

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Watched the three day eventing... latest I heard it was being disputed again...
    The faults for Bettina Hoy were upheld which means that Leslie Law wins individual gold for Britain and the British win team silver

Feel sorry for Bettina though - was at a showjumping comp this afternoon (watching) and where the start was, that couldn't have happened - though it didn't happen to anyone else at the Olympics except Bettina (she rode through the start twice, which meant her round was counted from the first time, so she went over the time and had time faults, if anyone is interested - possibly not!). Sad as she thought she had won gold, but ended up dropping out of the medals completely. But great for the British team.

The faults for Bettina Hoy were upheld which means that Leslie Law wins individual gold for Britain and the British win team silver
    And of course Pippa Funnel gets the individual bronze as well. So gold, silver and bronze for Britain in eventing.

That was desperately unfortunate for Paula Radcliffe today. It was always going to be extremely difficult to run a Marathon in those conditions, and once the body starts to go in those situations, there's nothing you can do to pull it back.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    It was always going to be extremely difficult to run a Marathon in those conditions
    Or in my case, just miss out the last three words - furthest I ever got was 10K.
    to marathon runners everywhere.
    What about the mens 100m final though? Are they fit or what?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Watched the three day eventing. Bit of a mess with Bettina Hoy (Germany) getting faults which no-one noticed till afterwards - getting gold for Germany - then having it taken away - then given back - latest I heard it was being disputed again. Britain was in with a real chance of a gold, ended up with team bronze and individual silver (which would be team silver and individual gold if those faults are counted).

Any other 'horsey' folk think the cross country looked pretty easy compared to British courses? Some great moments in the showjumping though!
    Yes, compared to Badminton, I thought the Olympic course looked like a walk in the park. Even the water looked moderately straight forward. The striding at a couple of the combinations looked a bit short also?

Been watching the gymnasts as well - how do they do that?

Elaine

Glitter Queen

Am typing this watching Kelly Holmes receiving her GOLD medal for the 800m - way to go Kelly , it's been a long time coming but boy did she deserve it in the end! The look on her face as she crossed the line was priceless!

Looks like they have as much trouble with judging and marking in the Olympics as they do in dancing. If they can't get it right then what hope do we have!

The scoring in the gymnastics has been a discrace.

Blog Entries

I have become an Olympics junkie over the last ten days! Been watching a bit of everything (although favourites are gymnastics, swimming, and rowing) - that's one thing I love about the BBC's coverage of the Olympic Games - you can watch half an hour of judo (for example) and the commentator will explain the rules so you understand what on earth is going on, cheer on a British athlete, then just as you've had enough, they will cut to coverage of another sport. Could do without some of the inane interviews and commentary though

It is so inspiring watching such amazing athletes as Matthew Pinsent, Ian Thorpe and the gymnasts. Makes me want to get down the gym more often

Even considering trying to go to Beijing in 2008, but not sure how feasible it would be. By the way, I thought that one or two Olympics ago, there was talk of Dancesport (ballroom) being an exhibition sport with a view to becoming a full event, but I'm not sure if this is my mind playing tricks on me. Anyone else remember this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Looks like they have as much trouble with judging and marking in the Olympics as they do in dancing. If they can't get it right then what hope do we have!

The scoring in the gymnastics has been a disgrace.
    I tend to agree with you, Jane. Especially Khorkina and Nemov - their marks seemed unaccountably harsh. But then, what do I know? TwK (formerly a gymnast himself ) was explaining that judges are required to deduct fixed amounts for certain types of error.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    The eventing marking was a real mess and I'm sure will leave a bad atmosphere on the international eventing scene for a while. If the faults had been counted at the time it would have been seen as bad luck, unfortunate, or over fussy marking - but now that a competitor and country are being asked to hand back gold medals, it is seen as unsporting and unfair.

And so disappointing for Paula Radcliffe.

Anyone know why Britain doesn't have a team in the showjumping? (An event they would have a good chance of winning gold in) I saw some of it but didn't hear any reason why. Didn't see a team for Ireland either and don't think the world champion (Dermot Lernaghan) is there as I saw him in a local show on Sat and the opening round was Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles

I've been thinking about this for years (from about the time that it was clear my own dream of being an Olympic swimmer was not going to be realised) but the problem is - what kind of dancing do you include? There are SO MANY styles, e.g. is ballet just an artform?; should disco/streetdance/hiphop etc be included when there are competitions for these already?; what about national dancing - highland dancing already has its own world championships?; then there is partner dancing - how much gets included - all the variants of MJ, all styles of ballroom, rock 'n' roll...?

Besides, at the end of the day is dance not more of an artform than a sport -would it qualify for the Olympics? If so, why?

Thread Information