• I would rather have Rep comments in User CP

29 87.88%
  • I'm happy with the current arrangement

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ignore list vs Rep comments in User CP

Commercial Operator

Ignore list vs Rep comments in User CP

A very clever person worked out how to identify the person who'd given you anonymous rep: you just placed people on your ignore list until the rep comment disappeared from your User CP.

And due to a recent drama the rep comments have been removed from User CP to stop people working out the identity of the anonymous rep giver using the Ignore list.

I find the rep comments useful as feedback; especially the negative comments as I get a clear and honest idea of how some people react to the, often deliberately provocative, posts I place on this forum. And in some cases I've agreed with the negative comment and changed my opinion or stance on a subject.

The removal of rep comments from user CP means that it is very difficult to find the post that received rep and that is the only place where the comment can be seen. And, if we didn't have an Ignore List we wouldn't be able to identify who'd given us our rep.

So, the question is, would we rather have an Ignore List or Rep Comments in User CP?
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 19th-August-2004 at 03:07 PM.

Commercial Operator

Re: Ignore list vs Rep comments in User CP

I've never really seen the point of the ignore list anyway, surely if you don't like someone's posts you just don't read them (I've done this, not because I had anything against the person, but because I didn't find the posts interesting/entertaining), similarly with pms, just delete them if you don't want to read them.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    So, the question is, would we rather have an Ignore List or Rep Comments in User CP?
    Andy: is this the result of discussions with "powers that be" or is this your own idea for resolving the situation?

I think an important question that needs to be addressed is 'what are we trying to achieve with the rep system?'. Is it just for fun or is it to allow people to decide whether what they’re reading is written by a dance expert or not? Do we want to be able to tell people that they’re being too sarcastic in a post? Or do we want something else from the rep system?

I think that it's only once we know what we want that an appropriate system can be devised. However, knowing the forum as I do I doubt that we'll all agree!

J

It's not the system that's at fault here, more how people are using it. The system works fine providing we all act like adults and consider others feelings when we use it.

Comments like those Jayne received help nobody; they don't give any constructive criticism at all. That's what needs changing. There will always be flaws with whatever system we use. It's up to us to just be respectful and courteous to each other.

I think someone once got one saying something like "you smell" Again, hardly the mature approach. Come on everyone, lets make this work and play nicely...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    Andy: is this the result of discussions with "powers that be" or is this your own idea for resolving the situation?
    I haven't spoken with anyone and don't even know if it's possible. But my guess is that you can switch on and off any of the functions.

I think the merits and purpose of the rep system were discussed when it started. For me it's a bit of fun first but also a useful way to find out if people like/don't like what I've said - without that person telling eveyone what a fool they think I've been - which is nice.

For me, I would rather not know who'd given me the more 'constructive' feedback. The fact I'd received it and the fact it is 'constructive' is enough. After all, if I knew the name of author of the comment 'You don't have a clue, go back to school'*, what difference would it make? I'd still have received the comment and I'd now have someone I think less of - I'd rather not know who it is - although I would also like to receive a bit more targetted feedback.

To go back to the specific example of the rude feedback Jayne received, I think that the person, if they felt like it, should have been free to feed back to Jayne that they didn't like her post and why the didn't like it - but they should not have been rude

And where people are rude and threatening there is a very good mechanism already in place.

One final point, which I probably have made before, is that there might be people out there who have so little control that decide to assault others based on a real or imagined insult on the forum. Who'd post a 'constructive' comment if they thought they might receive a punch on the nose. And, before anyone says that all dancers are nice and wouldn't do such a thing, I know of at least one dancer who's assaulted others due to things that have been said that they didn't like

*not a real example, made up for demonstration purposes.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Pammy
    Come on everyone, lets make this work and play nicely...
    Listen, smelly,

You can't make us and we aren't going to. Unless you take our toys off us

Oh, and while we're on it: you dress funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know of at least one dancer who's assaulted others due to things that have been said that they didn't like
    Andy, you promised never to mention that again. I've told you already, I was having a bad day and you should never have said my bum looked big in that white dress!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Oh, and while we're on it: you dress funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dress what? Is that another white dress remark? Listen pal, if you don't watch out, you'll end up like McGregor with a red nose. Any more bum jokes and I'll have to ask you to stand "on guard" my friend....

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Dress what? Is that another white dress remark? Listen pal, if you don't watch out, you'll end up like McGregor with a red nose. Any more bum jokes and I'll have to ask you to stand "on guard" my friend....
    he's always on guard - thats not a canoe in his pocket y'know

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    he's always on guard - thats not a canoe in his pocket y'know
    Oh, THAT's what I saw you feeling behind the bike sheds!

Commercial Operator

Andy, you promised never to mention that again. I've told you already, I was having a bad day and you should never have said my bum looked big in that white dress!
    In my defence, I think I was suffering from concussion

It's all a bit hazy, due to the bang on the head, but didn't you use your martial wiggling to cause me to see stars

didn't you use your martial wiggling to cause me to see stars
    sters maybe and varying parts of them for that matter

Typical rigged election.

Why on earth, given the debate that's happened, couldn't you have distinguished between:

- anonymous rep comments and
    - attributable rep comments

????

... given that 90% of the debate was about that.

Anyone would think you were on Tony Blair's 'how should we phrase the European Constitution question' referendum committee.

Chris

PS I voted for "ignore list" - since it was the only mechanism, albeit sh1te, for preventing the "hiding behind anonymity" I despise so much.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Typical rigged election.

Why on earth, given the debate that's happened, couldn't you have distinguished between:

- anonymous rep comments and
    - attributable rep comments
    There is already a poll on anonymity of rep comments. So I put up a poll about a single issue, what's wrong with that? It doesn't address all of the issues, it address one of them. That way it confuses nobody

Here is the question that I don't think has been aswered.

What will you do differently if you know who gave you the negative rep?

Would you be grateful that someone has taken the time to tell you why you've annoyed them?

p.s. Please note, ChrisA is the only one who's voted for ignore list - a lone voice?
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 20th-August-2004 at 01:38 AM.

There is already a poll on anonymity of rep comments. So I put up a poll about a single issue, what's wrong with that? It doesn't address all of the issues, it address one of them. That way it confuses nobody
    Except me, obviously. I don't understand the poll as you've worded it. Why should having an ignore list and having the comments in the CP be mutually exclusive? Except insofar as we used to be able to use the ignore list to identify the reppers.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list, so its features have always been rather irrelevant to me. If the comments weren't anonymous, no cunning mechanism would be required to identify the reppers.

Here is the question that I don't think has been aswered.

What will you do differently if you know who gave you the negative rep?
    - I will be able to understand the rep in the context of the repper

- I will be able to apologise if appropriate. Apologising publicly in response to a private comment is not really appropriate, although it might be the only way.

- I may exercise a right of reply.

Would you be grateful that someone has taken the time to tell you why you've annoyed them?
    I would always be very glad to get feedback, positive or negative, either in the thread in which I've caused the offence, or in a PM.

But if somebody cannot even be bothered to tell me who they are when giving me feedback then I find it very hard to respect them or the feedback.

In a forum of adults such as this, particularly one where people in general are pretty nice, there should be no need to provide an anonymous feedback mechanism.

And if someone uses anonymity as a way of being damn rude or otherwise unpleasant, presumably in a way they would not have the courage to do face to face, then that is a disgrace. Particularly when they would know that doing it anonymously is likely to cause more distress than not.

p.s. Please note, ChrisA is the only one who's voted for ignore list - a lone voice?
    You're obviously confusing me with someone that gives a damn

Anyway, I voted to 'have the ignore list as a mechanism of identifying reppers', not not to have the CP comments. If Franck insists, as is his right, to leave rep comments unattributable, then I'd rather have both. But that would actually be using a loophole to circumvent the way he wants the forum to run, so it's not surprising that the loophole has been closed.

As you've probably realised, I think the whole rep system is pointless, since everyone uses it for different purposes, and to differing amounts. So anyone looking at people's reputation score can have absolutely no idea of what it actually means.

Chris

Commercial Operator

Except me, obviously. I don't understand the poll as you've worded it. Why should having an ignore list and having the comments in the CP be mutually exclusive? Except insofar as we used to be able to use the ignore list to identify the reppers.
    The reason you don't understand this poll is because you think it's about the rights and wrongs of maintaining anonymity for people giving rep comments. It isn't. It's about what it says it's about. The original question assumes that there is a desire by Franck to continue to hide the identity of people giving rep. The poll is asking people what they think of an alternative method of keeping that anonymity.

To answer the poll when you don't agree with the original premise is difficult. And to discuss the pros and cons of anonymity here is to take this tread off-topic. There is a perfectly good thread which is right on the money for that particular topic - it's here.

I may exercise a right of reply
    The "right of reply" applies to stuff published by the mass media. It doesn't apply to things said privately to you. Also, as far as I'm aware, the UK doesn't have a right of reply law. For some background, see the 1974 Council of Europe Resolution.

The poll is asking people what they think of an alternative method of keeping that anonymity.
    Ah. Ok, that's a fair question. You're saying, AIUI, given the fact that the forum software isn't flexible enough to make the comments properly anonymous, would we rather lose the ignore list completely (which would stop us identifying the repper) or lose the CP comments (which has the same effect).

I guess I was being a bit slow on the uptake. Sorry.

In which case I'd like to switch my vote !!

There is a perfectly good thread which is right on the money for that particular topic
    Yeah, and I've totally changed my view on that. I hadn't thought through the implications of anonymous nastiness at that time, despite Mikey's explanation when he started the thread, and for which, if he's listening at all, I apologise to him.

I wish I could switch my vote on that one, too

Chris

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Red face Re: Ignore list vs Rep comments in User CP

Please bring back rep comments in User CP - I'm getttin well narked hunting down all my posts trying to find who said what about whatever.....

I am getting dismayed and excited all in one second.....

Great - positive rep from someone.....

Bugger - gotta find the post and see what (if anything was said)...

AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - please can we have rep comments back and we all promise to play nice.......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Commercial Operator

I guess I was being a bit slow on the uptake. Sorry.
    Don't worry, we all do it, when we've got something on our mind we often see everything from the perspective of the issue that's uppermost

(what a shame we can't put cigarette smoke in dance halls on our ignore list - now I've done it too )

In which case I'd like to switch my vote !!
    I wish I could switch my vote on that one, too
    ChrisA - a floating voter: whatever next?

Thread Information