Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Accidents

In freestyle I have been head butted twice by you, Steve and I think you knocked my glasses off once ...you did say it is always the man's fault, didn't you! (and nothing to do with the fact that I am justabeginner...really)...

Originally posted by Forte
    In freestyle I have been head butted twice by you, Steve and I think you knocked my glasses off once ...you did say it is always the man's fault, didn't you! (and nothing to do with the fact that I am justabeginner...really)...
    Have you been headbutted by anyone else? If not, kinda suggests that it's not you who's planting your face on your lead's head! And just think of the harm you could have come to if he didn't like you!!!!

Another thing that I don' t enjoy too much is dancing with my partner next to the couple if they very tall

My opinion of tall men, is that they can if they are also broad be 'blind' to dancers who are shorter. Being only 5 feet 5 tall, it makes feel a bit cramped!

I have occasionally been 'shoulder struck' by tall men ( I admit I have broad shoulders), and have felt like taping warning chevrons to the top of my shirt.

You know that move where you are holding mens RH to ladies RH, step back and offer your LH behind back, release RH and both turn 180 degrees CW and click your fingers in unison, then turn 180 ACW and click again?

When I was learning I went to a few of the workshops at Marcos, where we were taught this move. I dont know what happened, but when I turned clockwise to click my fingers, the lady (from fife, I think) turned anticlockwise and I ended up punching her on the mouth . I felt really guilty after that, though she did see the funny side to it. Thankfully its never come close to happening again .

If there isnt much room on the dance floor, then one thing I try to do when stepping back is unweight my foot and slide it back instead of actually lifting it and taking a 'normal' step back.

That way you can avoid stepping on someones toes, or bashing thier ankles.

What do other guys do? How far do you normally raise your heel when stepping back?

Ian

Originally posted by ianw

If there isnt much room on the dance floor, then one thing I try to do when stepping back is unweight my foot and slide it back instead of actually lifting it and taking a 'normal' step back.

That way you can avoid stepping on someones...., or bashing thier ....

What do other guys do? How far do you normally raise your heel when stepping back?

Ian
    Wise words there.

I've actually realised that after doing Karate for a fer years (a long while ago I admit) muscle-memory is causing me to slide instead of stepping back, to the side etc. I also have to admit that doing some of the moves, M.M (muscle memory) has nearly been the cause of some very serious/uncomfortable accidents. Am I alone in this?

Thank you very much Pammy. Sorry Minnie

Originally posted by Boomer
    M.M has nearly been the cause of some very serious/uncomfortable accidents. Am I alone in this?
    Depends if you mean muscle memory or minnie mouse?

The Oracle
    Originally posted by ianw
    I think it isn't so much how you step back, as where you step back. I usually try to step back into the space where the lady has just come from. Everyone aims for the gaps in the floor, and I am the only person who knows when that particular gap will be available. If I know where I am going to go, I can spend more time worrying where to place the lady.

My other technique for not stepping on anyone is not to move my feet...

David

Stepping into the lady's space - that reminds me of Amir's technique of 'rounded' dancing rather than the 'slot' dancing favoured by most Ceroc teachers (which is much easier to teach on stage perhaps). I like to use the lady's momentum to help me choose the next move, which is maybe along similar lines, or maybe something else.

On 'stepping' generally, I came across a lovely quote on a latin page. Whilst essential for latin, it can be applied with equal effect to Ceroc:

"When you step, whether forward, backward or side, step onto the inside ball of your foot (big toe), roll your foot onto the small ball (little toe) and imagine you are squashing a grape under your heel, place the foot flatly onto the floor, straightening the leg. If you have done this correctly, your body weight is now on the foot you have lowered and you should be able to stand on one leg without falling over. "

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Chris
    Stepping into the lady's space - that reminds me of Amir's technique of 'rounded' dancing rather than the 'slot' dancing favoured by most Ceroc teachers (which is much easier to teach on stage perhaps).
    I usually dance in a slot - partly because I do a lot of WCS, but also because I tend to dance at the edge of the floor. Teaching in a slot usually makes it less confusing for the class - it makes it easier to relate your position to the teacher. Out of a class, most people dance in a circle.

I first heard the idea of moving into 'occupied' space from an interview with Damon Hill (the ex Formula 1 world champion). I think he was talking about racing cars, not dancing. But it seems to work!

I like to use the lady's momentum to help me choose the next move, which is maybe along similar lines, or maybe something else.
    A couple of times recently I've tried to work out how I choose the next move. I consciously think of about 3 moves - the rest of the time I just hold onto a hand and see what happens

I wish some guys would sent the ladies into un-occupied space, dancefloor technique can be really bat at certain venues
    Occassionaly the lady will treat the dance like the dodgems at a fun fair, but I think mainly it is the guys not controlling the dance.

Worst accident I saw was guy wrapped lady into front basket, raised RH behind her head then LH, slid hi hands to her waist and spun the lady with both hands behind her head.

Silly boy did not step back, as she spun the ladies elbow crashed into his mouth
    14 stitches for her and broken teeth for him

Commercial Operator
    The talk of head butting reminds me of a minor accident, a "chest butt", my partner was leading a duck under turn and I came up too close with my face in her chest, no injuries though, and we know each other well enough to just laugh it off.

More embarrassingly, just last Sunday at RBs, after being asked to dance by an unfamiliar lady, within about 4 bars she was on the floor on her butt, just a slip after a simple first move push away. She was fine, but about one minute later, had to hobble off due to an old foot injury that needed attention. There was no connection between the 2 incidents, but anyone who was watching (Peter), must have thought I'd ruined her dancing for the rest of the night.

Greg

Originally posted by DavidB
    I usually dance in a slot - partly because I do a lot of WCS, but
    What's WCS and while I am at it what's DWAS ? (I have worked out what IMHO is all on my own... )

Some of us are new here....

Originally posted by Forte
    What's WCS and while I am at it what's DWAS ? (I have worked out what IMHO is all on my own... )

Some of us are new here....
    WCS is "West Coast Swing" - danced to slow music. I didn't know what it was either until about a month ago

DWAS stands for "Dance with a Stranger" - a competition category. I've never competed - not in jive, anyway - but that category really appeals to me.

HTH

Chris

(= "hope that helps" )

Originally posted by ChrisA
    WCS is "West Coast Swing" - danced to slow music. I didn't know what it was either until about a month ago

DWAS stands for "Dance with a Stranger" - a competition category. I've never competed - not in jive, anyway - but that category really appeals to me.

HTH

Chris

(= "hope that helps" )
    It does!

Originally posted by Sheepman
    just a slip after a simple first move push away. Greg
    Not that really slippery spot by the stage, by any chance? I nearly went flying there, and i had to catch someone else who did...

Was it talc on the floor? If so, that's one for the Grrr thread...

Chris

Not that really slippery spot by the stage, by any chance? I nearly went flying there, and i had to catch someone else who did...

Was it talc on the floor? If so, that's one for the Grrr thread...

Chris
    SshhhhhhHHHH; Sheepy has been known to use the odd bit of talk himself whistles quietly to herself hoping she's not spotted as the grass

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Silly boy did not step back, as she spun the ladies elbow crashed into his mouth
    14 stitches for her and broken teeth for him
    Wow, thats what i call a spin - or at least it would have been! By the decription of the move, he was asking for it - shame about the ladies arms though !

Theres a very smiley girl Ive dance with a few times at the jive bar and in Edinburgh when she came up - I managed to elbow her square in the forehead once, not entirely sure why, i think she was moving toward me rather than away after a confusing lead - luckily it wasnt serious it just served as an effective 'stop' and she was still smiling . Thats my worst one, but i have been headbutted, punched, stood on and elbowed several times (not all in the same dance). Usually my partner is the culprit, and its sometimes due to them anticipating a move i think, but i have been hit by people dancing next to me before too . Still thats only a few incidents over a long period of time .

Commercial Operator
    Was it talc on the floor?
    It was, but it wasn't mine, some floors you do need it, but not that one.

In fact that slippery bit resulted in my most spectacular move ever, (only my partner saw it), we shot across the talced bit, and I managed to recover from an unrecoverable fall, can't remember how much my partner helped, but I wish I could repeat this move!

Oh, and another accident at RBs, Friday night, one of the most spectacular, popular, and highly rated dancers (whose name I won't mention) punched me full on in the face as she came round in a spin, while my partner and I slid by. I tried to pretend that it didn't hurt, but I did ask my partner to let me know if blood started streaming down my face. To make matters worse, the lady in question didn't even dance with me that night Her hand was OK though.

Greg

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    and highly rated dancers (whose name I won't mention) punched me full on in the face as she came round in a spin
    Can't have been Lily you wouldnt have felt it..actually i take that back, ive seen her spin, and size doesnt necessarily = power does it . I assume she is now a highly rated puncher too ?

I tried to pretend that it didn't hurt,
    Thats the manly thing to do, stiff upper lip and all that.
    Makes me wonder would tears (or bleeting? ) help us guys get more dance partners or less ? Do good male dancers cry? theres a poll idea

I cant imagine any men using the sympathy vote to enhance their popularity - us guys are not like that - are we

Thread Information