Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Accidents

A couple of times recently I've tried to work out how I choose the next move. I consciously think of about 3 moves - the rest of the time I just hold onto a hand and see what happens [/B][/QUOTE]

You are lucky that you can think of 3moves. I usually pray for something to work, while trying not to get entangled.

I don't think we have ever been entangled on the dance floor, have we Groovy Dancer??

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Accidents

Whilst dancing with Peter last night, we had quite a spectacular one!

All was going well, until I stepped back and the heal of my shoe got firmly wedged in the side of some poor lady's shoe, I held on to peter for dear life, as both I and the other lady hopped round trying to free it but alas, I finally lost my balance (all in slow motion) and fell crashing to the floor, pulling poor Peter on top of me!

I'm so glad I wore trousers, as I nearly did a backwards roll!

It was all Ok in the end, Peter gallantly pulled me to my feet and the lady assured me her foot wasn't hurt! We all took a bow and had a good laugh about it after!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: stilettos

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    Lastly if anyone has discovered a type of flattish dance shoe which won't make me look like I have a huge, decaying fungus attached to the ends of my legs please let me know asap!
    If you take any type of normal shoes to the cobblers (eg Timpsons) they will remove the sole (if necessary) and put on a leather/shammy leather (no that's probably not how you spell that - chamois?) sole on in replacement. This costs about £25 - not cheap, but then if the shoes are relatively imexpensive I guess it's not more than dance shoes. If the shoes are flat bottomed (eg trainers) this actually gives you more stability than dance trainers, which usually have split soles, and therefore is less likely to hurt you bad feet ((I sympathise, I also get bad pains in my toes/feet - possibly the same thing but I've never got it checked out.) Hope this helps!

As to injuries, the worst I've had is a broken blood vessel in my foot after being kicked by a guy in hard soled shoes! It swelled up very dramatically, to the size of a golf ball, and I spent most of the night in casualty (till 6 in the morning). Luckily some very good friends looked after me, called my partner and got him to meet me at the hospital and drove my car home for me - I feel very lucky to have friends like this! The worst thing was this happened about 10 days before my wedding and I could hardly dance at it! Very painful! It's ok now, but has taken ages to heal, and if anyone accidentally steps on it (even in soft shoes), it's really painful. I seem to be accident prone and am always being stepped on, perhaps I stick my foot out at a funny angle when I dance, I'll have to keep an eye out for that!

Commercial Operator

Ive had one or two injuries, mainly getting trod on at busy nights by people who want more room than is available .and had my Achilles tendon kicked a few times ......Most recent injury was at the Scottish comp, dancing with Wendy in the Lucky Dip semi final. Decided to do a one handed seducer as one of the judges came round, and pulled a muscle in my shoulder. I couldn't lift wendy back up again and had to lay her down gently on the floor ...found it really difficult after that and had to concentrate on left handed moves, and it all went a bit pear shaped.. ...Upside was that Val,an Edinburgh dancer who just happens to be a Physiotherapist saw me do it, and looked after me with ice packs & ibuprofen. I also got some Kinesiology from Aleks, an offer of some recce (sp?) from Tim, and a massage fom Maggie........

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Whilst dancing with Peter last night, we had quite a spectacular one! All was going well, until I stepped back and the heal of my shoe got firmly wedged in the side of some poor lady's shoe, I held on to peter for dear life, as both I and the other lady hopped round trying to free it but alas, I finally lost my balance (all in slow motion) and fell crashing to the floor, pulling poor Peter on top of me! I'm so glad I wore trousers, as I nearly did a backwards roll! It was all Ok in the end, Peter gallantly pulled me to my feet and the lady assured me her foot wasn't hurt! We all took a bow and had a good laugh about it after!
    That accident was only the half of it that night ...

The URBAN METRO team had been invited to perform our "Slow" routine at Ashtons and I was dancing with a new partner, Claire. During the routine, with 150 or so watching, I noticed a look of horror on Claire's face and asked if anything was wrong - she said she was OK and we continued the routine. Since we had never danced together before, it was impossible to tell whether her gritted teeth were a reflection of my dancing or something else. As the applause died down, the look of horror returned to Claire's face and she rushed off to the dressing room, clutching her navel.

I later found out that she had forgotten to remove the stud she had through her navel. During the "helicopter" move, the stud had become entangled in my black string vest. As we separated, the stud was ripped out of her navel and the blood started to flow ...

Somehow Claire retrieved the stud and put it in her pocket. As we left the floor, she felt in her pocket and realised that the red coloured stud (the same colour as the carpet at Ashtons) was no longer there ... by now the shock was taking hold and 150 people were heading onto the dance floor ...

At the end of the night, we did find the stud! Very close to where Lory fell .. maybe Lory tripped over the stud ...

mainly getting trod on at busy nights by people who want more room than is available

Guilty as charged. I had one particularly bad dance this week where I managed to tread on someone's foot on the beat one step back. Not an auspicious start.

Re: stilettos

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    the problem there Chris is most high heela damage wooden floors, hand made or not..
    actually ballroom shoes and character shoes (like those made by Bloch) won't damage a wooden floor or even tarquet.

What will damage wooden floors are fashion stilettos - those ones where the heel ends in tiny tiny point.

Ballroom heels are generally wider than fashion stilettos and therefor while there is a lot of pressure on the heel - due to the size and material that the heels are finished with they won't leave little pits in a wooden floor

and I saw mention of flip flops not being dangerous - ummmmm try being hit by one going flying across the room as it comes off the foot of a spinning dancer

Time to resurrect this thread again

I got injured at Bognor, knew something was wrong on Monday when walking back to the car felt painful in my left thigh.

Anyway the physios has seen and sorted me today , the tendon at the top of my leg has swollen. I have been given my second jive ban - 10 days no dancing !

Probably got the injury from twisting incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon L
    .....I got injured at Bognor, knew something was wrong on Monday when walking back to the car felt painful in my left thigh.........10 days no dancing.
    poor you Jon - wish you a speedy recovory

I hurt my knee on Christmas eve - the floor was a bit sticky - took about 5 days to right itself (without dancing that is)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information