Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rep comments - missing!

Re: Rep comments - missing!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Several people have said that they'll never send negative rep. Presumably they anticipate being able to agree with everything that everyone says in the future. Either that, or they're never going to send positive rep either.
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything said, except for the above bit:

positive rep (for me) is like nodding, and agreeing with what's being said; I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, but agree with the post.

Negative rep would be dissagreeing with the post - in which case, what's the point in just shakeing your head? I would post why I dissagree with a particular view rather than just negative repping.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    it's starting to look more like a computer game
    Was it ever anything else?
    Several people have said that they'll never send negative rep. Presumably they anticipate being able to agree with everything that everyone says in the future. Either that, or they're never going to send positive rep either. I don't see the point in sending positive rep if you're never going to send negative rep. Maybe that's just me.
    I've said that. ..not at all because I don't anticipate ever disagreeing with someone, but because (especially at the time when the reps were anonymous) I thought it was far more constructive either to move on debate by disagreeing openly in a thread, or if it was a personal issue to sort it out through PMing.

Anyway, as I've said on several occasions before I'm not a big fan of the rep system, and have made a point recently of never checking where I am in the 'table'. Having the points/power under my name I can really do without...Personally I would much prefer my reputation on the forum to be about what and how I post, not a competitive points system

Several people have said that they'll never send negative rep. Presumably they anticipate being able to agree with everything that everyone says in the future.

Noooo! If I disagree with someone I can print a post saying so, and why. Politely. I thought that was the whole point?

I don't see the point in sending positive rep if you're never going to send negative rep. Maybe that's just me.
    Trampy
    Well, see what you mean, but I generally prefer being nice to people to not being nice to them. Sorry to be so creepycrawly and all that. Seems to make the day go smoother somehow! And it p***** me off when I receive neg rep even though I'm sure people have given it in the spirit of constructive criticism. Do as you would be done by.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Not sure I like it, now seems like I have a big number - Im sure some people will bring me down to size now ...
    Or maybe just suck up to you lots so that you give them lost of nice positive rep...
    by the way did I mention that I really love you're hat, it's very fetching

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Like DianaS, I don't like this. It gives a bit too much emphasis to the internals of the rep system for my liking, and takes up a fair bit of space. Perhaps it would be better to put that information in the "User CP" or the "Members List"?
    I agree with this.
    It is good to have a better idea about the internal workings of the system (and thank you for explaining it all to us, Franck) but I think the little box you've given each of us would be better if it was on our personal profiles and not attached to every post.
    Of course it's your forum this is just a humble suggestion.

I apologise if this has already been asked

Just noticed that the rep points are now displayed together with a 'power' amount - is that the amount of rep points this forumate can attribute when giving a rep ?

Just had a look at other forumite's 'power' count and it looks as though my assumption was correct

How often does Franck give reps at 20 at time, how about a bribe - Has anyone had a rep from Franck ?
    Last edited by Minnie M; 14th-September-2004 at 06:55 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but forum members cannot see what rep is attached to an individual post of another member. To other forumites rep is related to an individual. I have learned to try and praise and condemn behaviours, and use positive feedback. So I can feel very happy to give a positive rep to someone. In effect I am saying that you are a good person because you have done a good thing. When I see a behaviour that I think is wrong, I condemn that behaviour in a posting, where possible not identifying any specific person. To me a negative rep is saying that you are a bad person because you have done a bad thing, where it may well be a misunderstanding on my part or theirs, or a one off lapse, or a behaviour corrected by education.
    A person can defend themselves if they feel that they have been identified in a post, and if I am wrong, and can learn from their reaction. There is no way I know of whereby a normal forumite can rescind a negative rep wrongly given.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Has anyone had a rep from Franck ?
    Me ... and boy, is it worth having!

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything said, except for the above bit:

positive rep (for me) is like nodding, and agreeing with what's being said; I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, but agree with the post.

Negative rep would be dissagreeing with the post - in which case, what's the point in just shakeing your head? I would post why I dissagree with a particular view rather than just negative repping.
    To answer the few people who disagreed with what I said....

I leave negative rep when posts are spurious, ill thought out, overly sarcastic, boring, arrogant, annoying etc. Doesn't necessarily mean that I don't agree with what's being said in them. Just don't like the way that it's been said. If I think a post has been deliberately posted to provoke someone, I've also sent negative rep in the past. Of course there are also some posts that don't even deserve a response....

Trampy

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Thanks to you all especially Franck for explaining that. i now understand!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Me ... and boy, is it worth having!
    Unless, of course, the lovely Franck is disagreeing with you!

(Not that he would, though...... )

I leave negative rep when posts are spurious, ill thought out, overly sarcastic, boring, arrogant, annoying etc. Doesn't necessarily mean that I don't agree with what's being said in them.

I leave positive reps when posts are well-argued, well-written, intelligent, funny, witty, entertaining, humane or empathetic. Doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what's said in them.

I don't think people should leave neg reps for bad spelling/grammar or a poorly constructed post, it seems too elitist. There are gentle ways of dealing with spurious posts. If they are sarcastic or arrogant I think that's a matter which could be taken up in public on the thread. "Annoying" is a highly subjective term- using neg reps every time I felt a bit annoyed would be the forum equivalent of road rage.

If I think a post has been deliberately posted to provoke someone, I've also sent negative rep in the past.
    Sounds reasonable.

Of course there are also some posts that don't even deserve a response....

Trampy
    Except there are lots of great posts that I don't respond to either.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    I leave positive reps when posts are well-argued, well-written, intelligent, funny, witty, entertaining, humane or empathetic. Doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what's said in them.

I don't think people should leave neg reps for bad spelling/grammar or a poorly constructed post, it seems too elitist. There are gentle ways of dealing with spurious posts. If they are sarcastic or arrogant I think that's a matter which could be taken up in public on the thread. "Annoying" is a highly subjective term- using neg reps every time I felt a bit annoyed would be the forum equivalent of road rage.

Sounds reasonable.

Except there are lots of great posts that I don't respond to either.

I dont like leaving bad rep. Even if i dont agree with the person. Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    I dont like leaving bad rep. Even if i dont agree with the person. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

IMHO negative rep should be used for rudeness, name calling, bigotry, bad manners, threatening behavior, etc. I don't think you should give neg rep to people you disagree with: you should just post disagreeing with them and giving your reasons why - after all, that's what debate is all about

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    IMHO negative rep should be used for rudeness, name calling, bigotry, bad manners, threatening behavior, etc. I don't think you should give neg rep to people you disagree with: you should just post disagreeing with them and giving your reasons why - after all, that's what debate is all about
    I agree with you. I think there should be some sort of rule for giving bad rep because some people appear to be giving it for no reason or a silly one!

I am really annoyed now. Apparently you can't have an oppinion on this forum without getting bad rep for it! I also find it very annoying that the person/people doing it dont leave a name. Sorry and i know this will get me bad rep but i just thought i'd let everyone know!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    I agree with you. I think there should be some sort of rule for giving bad rep because some people appear to be giving it for no reason or a silly one!
    ?!
    Firstly, dictating rules about when and how you can speak is just wrong: The forum is moderated and the moderators can/will filter out any abusive or incitefull posts - anything you feel that strongly about, there is a button beside the post to "report to a moderator"; this allows you to add comments saying why it's a bad post. Being only allowed to give negative rep for stuff like that is pointless.

Secondly, "no reason" or a "silly reason" is purley subjective - you may see it as "silly", but the person distributing it obviously didn't.

People are takeing these "rep points" too seriously; they are only a personal insult if you choose to take it that way. Sometimes they are a "wake-up call" that forces you to look at exactly what you are posting and take a step back from it to see how/what exactly you are contributing to the forum.

{BTW - the name is visible to those who are paid up members - bold folks. Some people just assume that since they can see who sent rep, everyone can , and therefore don't sign it.}
    Last edited by Gadget; 15th-September-2004 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    ?!
    Firstly, dictating rules about when and how you can speak is just wrong: The forum is moderated and the moderators can/will filter out any abusive or incitefull posts - anything you feel that strongly about, there is a button beside the post to "report to a moderator"; this allows you to add comments saying why it's a bad post. Being only allowed to give negative rep for stuff like that is pointless.

Secondly, "no reason" or a "silly reason" is purley subjective - you may see it as "silly", but the person distributing it obviously didn't.

People are takeing these "rep points" too seriously; they are only a personal insult if you choose to take it that way. Sometimes they are a "wake-up call" that forces you to look at exactly what you are posting and take a step back from it to see how/what exactly you are contributing to the forum.
    You see i do agree with you that it is purely in someones oppinion and god gave us all different oppinions and the freedom to have our own oppinion. i feel that if someone wants to discuss why they feel your oppinnion offends or upset them then yes they shoud use the rep system. But only if they leave their name and a valid reason other wise they are doing it just to be annoying. I do agree that the rep points thing can be taken to seriously and its not the points that actually bother me it the fact that someone has a problem with my oppinion and dooes not want to discuss it rationally!
    Sorry if that sounded harsh and very oppninonated.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    How often does Franck give reps at 20 at time, how about a bribe - Has anyone had a rep from Franck ?
    Yup - in fact, I've been Francked, Trampled, Scathed...the dressings should be off just in time for the BFG

Personally I've only ever neg repped frivolously. It should be fun and I think making all the details as public as possible, showing the numbers, helps with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    Yup - in fact, I've been Francked, Trampled, Scathed...the dressings should be off just in time for the BFG

Personally I've only ever neg repped frivolously. It should be fun and I think making all the details as public as possible, showing the numbers, helps with that.

well aren't you a lucky boy!

I agree with it being made as public as poss. I wont go off in another rant however. i have had my madness for today! Yeahy

Thread Information