Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: More men! How do we find and keep them dancing??

Re: More men! How do we find and keep them dancing??

Getting back on topic are there any other ideas for getting new men to the dance classes and retaining them there for all the lovely women (and Andy!) to dance with instead of sitting out.

Serious mode ON

A beach volleyball style dress code. Though this may not attract the sort of men you wish to retain...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    A beach volleyball style dress code. Though this may not attract the sort of men you wish to retain...
    It might also attract women you'd rather not see in 'beach volleyball' style clothing

just to go back to the original thread ....................

i think we need to find out where our guys hung out before they started dancing ...i.e they used to play rugby or go sailing????

guys what did you do.........then once i know i might go an do a few demos at these kinds of places!!!!

am i making sense??!?!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by littleemc-central

i think we need to find out where our guys hung out before they started dancing ...i.e they used to play rugby or go sailing????

guys what did you do.........then once i know i might go an do a few demos at these kinds of places!!!!

am i making sense??!?!!
    Brilliant, idea - well done littleemc

Like me, I know a lot of guys did martial arts.

Maybe someone could set up a poll.

am i making sense??!?!!
    Positive...positve good idea littleemc.

Being a career shift worker I've always hung out at home which is of no help whatsoever but I am sure others might be able to assist with venues for demos.

I think what we need to do is go an tell our friends about this thread and then when we have a few guys posting i can then go an organise some promos!!! woo!!

so ....so far we have

martial arts
    at home!!!(though i draw the line @ busking inpeeps front rooms!!!
    )

em xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Brilliant, idea - well done littleemc

Like me, I know a lot of guys did martial arts.

Maybe someone could set up a poll.

so.....where did you do your martial arts????? remind me to b nice to you if we get to have a dance!!

Commercial Operator

so.....where did you do your martial arts?????
    In freezing cold halls in London, North Wales and Yorkshire.

remind me to b nice to you if we get to have a dance!!
    I'm sure you're lovely to everyone...

In the interests of expanding my repertoire I attended a Salsa class (first time) and if any of your remember the old John Cleese business training films it was an example of how to put off a newbie man (with a fragile ego)

Rocked up and announced myself as a new person and got relieved of my money. No explanation no friendly chat no nothing.
    The basic lesson taught 4 steps. Men and Ladies in separate groups with a separate teacher. No problem
    Then we came together and the ratio was one man to four women.
    Now some of the moves that we learned individually were followed by the ladies and some were mirrored. That critical piece of instruction was missing.
    As I was ‘leading’, I managed to ruin the mirror move when we got to it.
    When I asked the teachers for clarification they chose to belittle me rather than listen to the question.
    Apart from loving themselves beyond belief the delivery of the class was quite good.
    Of the four men in the group one man had it and all the ladies had it. The other two men legged it straight after the class never to be seen again.

I then watched the Intermediate class.The same ratio applied so the poor ladies were adrift in their circle 3/4 of the time.

Then the freestyle started and rather than be my gregarious self I wondered what would happen if I just sat and looked lost. By now there was 52 ladies in the hall and ten men. The men were obviously fully employed so I was wondering if anyone might consider it worth investing some time in a future partner. The teachers danced with each other. I continued to wonder. Finally I asked a competent lady who had joined in a class and helped by dancing as a man. She helped me for two tracks and some progress was made.

It was all very humbling. Next week I will annoy a lot more ladies and make more progress. I know that if I had been to this class before a MJ evening I would have been put off for good.

Zuhal

That's just disgraceful and very rude - I think looking after men so they come back should be a number one priority in any dance class!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherX
    That's just disgraceful and very rude - I think looking after men so they come back should be a number one priority in any dance class!

i totally agree with you on this one!!!!

thats why we need to know where to find more of them so that all the lovely ladies on the forum can entice them to stay!!!!!

come on guys an girls can we throw some ideas around?..... where can we go an do some promos to get the men flocking to MJ?!?!!?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Zuhal
    In the interests of expanding my repertoire I attended a Salsa class (first time) and if any of your remember the old John Cleese business training films it was an example of how to put off a newbie man (with a fragile ego)
    It was all very humbling. Next week I will annoy a lot more ladies and make more progress. I know that if I had been to this class before a MJ evening I would have been put off for good.

Zuhal
    Sounds like my own experience of Salsa classes. I've gone to 2 different ones locally and found they made little effort to welcome me. Also they had fixed partners throughout the lesson, and no freestyle after it. I'd have had to wait until after the improver lesson, before I got a chance to put my knowledge into practice. Didn't go back...

Guess this is why salsa has a problem with sleazy blokes (well, I've often heard this from ladies who gave up salsa and came to Ceroc instead): the sleazeballs will be more determined to 'learn' as it's simply a means to an end for them. Whereas the guys with fragile egos, and the shy, just give up early on (OK, it's not either/or with sleazeballs/shy, but generally it is the case, no?).

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

OK - not particularly PC but it worked......

Get entry into a nightclub (not on the same night as the Ceroc night) and do a busk (no different than that which you would do in a town centre etc....)
    If you can get a teacher to do a mini-class as part of the 'busk' in the club (just two moves) then so much the better.
    Then, (the non-PC part), the lovely team of ceroc ladies, all night club clad and looking 'the part' grab a load of men, ask them to dance, flirt a little and all the time extolling the virtues of a good ceroc night - everything that a night club isn't :-

No waiting until 1.50am and ten lagers before asking the girl you've been staring at for 3 hours to dance....
    No expensive memberships
    Most venues are licensed - get a beer as well
    Endless opportunities to actually engage with a member of the opposite sex (where that is the persons preference) in a safe and positive way

and so on and so on.....

The more 'attractively dressed / flirtatious' the girls can be the better - sorry told you it wasn't PC but blokes respond to babes.....simple creatures that we are....

A man who has a quick five minutes holding a pretty girls hand when she has made the first move on him, she wants to dance with him, physical contact has taken place and if he were to come to Ceroc he could have large portions of the same experience.....

Start the car now....!!!!!

I did see it work - no..... it isn't PC but my brother is looking for local Ceroc venue near him now...!!! as are three or four of his friends.......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

am i making sense??!?!!

Lots of guys, often single, in the world of "adventure sports". I've been though mountain biking, climbing, white water kayaking and paragliding and all have low levels of female participation. And before anyone asks yes ceroc is as exciting. The constant demand to figure out what comes next keeps the mind racing to keep up ( or is that just me?).

I do not like the idea of free admission for someone bring along a new member. It would deter me, I would not have a profit motive for promoting MJ, and I would not want to be perceived as having one. I believe you should try and bring your friends along as a favour to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I do not like the idea of free admission for someone bring along a new member. It would deter me, I would not have a profit motive for promoting MJ, and I would not want to be perceived as having one. I believe you should try and bring your friends along as a favour to them.
    Well if you were a MJ promoter you will do whatever you can to get more men in ... and these type of promotions do bear results. Theory is great ... but often it fails to work in practice so its back to the tried and tested methods ..... as galling as they may be

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

am i making sense??!?!!
    Right idea but I think just needs amending a bit. Men hung out in way too many different places BC, (before Ceroc), the question needs to be and this is where we need a poll,
    "Why did they stay and also just as important, why did they not stay?"

I stayed initially coz of the girls. I stayed coz I had a bit of rhythm and found I could pick it up easily, which helped get the girls, . I stayed even when we moved round 52 guys coz the girls were worth fighting over.

I had no intention of becoming a good dancer. I did not see the whole night as a dance class. I was entertained, I was kept occupied, I had a great night out.

Why do guys leave, can't get the girls, can't get the dancing. How do we get round this, LIE Well this is what I tell my crew anyay. If I hear a Taxi dancer or teacher has refused a dance, they are of no use to my business. Do I want all the taxi dancers to be babes? NO, I want them to be a cross section of society, but they have to home in on their social equals. Can I ever explain this, probably but I would not live to tell the results I guess.

Do my crew do this? No, I'm not going to tell them they are overweight and not very attractive so can they keep all the overweight and not very attractive people happy. (that was an imaginary example just in case I am quoted )

The whole question is really complex. You have to break down every component of a night and then take that model and inter-act it with different people. eg, Nice venue, poor area, car parking, lighting in car park, town venue or out of town, decor of venue, music played, immediate impression when walk into a venue. Is it their grandmother/grandfather on the door or their daughter? Are they made to feel welcome, how long are they sitting down alone, how long are they not talking to someone for, do they feel out of place.

I have seen many many men leave coz the ladies were rude, ouch you are hurting my hand, you smell, can't you get this, hope you've got this move coz the last bloke was useless, not at the moment i need a rest but wait I will dance with him the guy next to you, I am washing my hair etc etc.

I would say that sex will get more men in but look at Salsa, their ratios are far worse and the girls are generally younger and wear less, so maybe that is not the answer.

Ok got it, stick a dart board up, a large TV screen and call it a pub

I would love to do a survey and make an offer to an forum people who are prepared to help.

Come to my venues, take five new people each as your projects, how many can you retain over 6 weeks. Hey I like this (think type think type think type)

OK free entry to forum members who want to take part to any and all CerocMetro venue for the six weeks. Prize of £100 to member who retains most newbies. £10 bonus for every newbie directly related to your five subjects.

Interested, PM me. This is the FIRST research of it's type, there may even be a video What you are about to take on could change the shape of MJ forever. (dramatic drum roll)

Adam
    ceroc@hotmail.com

I do not like the idea of free admission for someone bring along a new member. It would deter me, I would not have a profit motive for promoting MJ, and I would not want to be perceived as having one.
    Many people solve this problem by paying for their friend to get in, which is a nice gesture anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Many people solve this problem by paying for their friend to get in, which is a nice gesture anyway.
    I would feel obliged to explain that it was not costing me anything because I would be getting in free. To avoid all these minor relationship problems I would far rather tell my friend that they would get free admission if I introduced them, and I would prefer that to be venue policy.

Thread Information