View Poll Results: What is your view of a normal MJ evening? (see blurb)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canvas, Stage, Playground

0 0%
  • Canvas, Playground, Stage

2 7.41%
  • Stage, Canvas, Playground

0 0%
  • Stage, Playground, Canvas

5 18.52%
  • Playground, Canvas, Stage

8 29.63%
  • Playground, Stage, Canvas

12 44.44%

Thread: Poll: Canvas, stage or playground?

Poll: Canvas, stage or playground?

For you, is the dancefloor a canvas on which to paint a four dimensional work of art, the intent of the dancers to interpret the music?
    Or, for you, is it more like a stage, where the partners perform either for each other, or for a real or imaginary audience?
    Or is it a playground, where we carouse and have fun with the normal social restraints to some extent put aside?
    Please select options in order of importance to you.

Re: Poll: Canvas, stage or playground?

copied here from another thread:

In MJ there are relationships between the partners, and between the partners and the music. I believe that the most important one is between the partners. I go to MJ with my prime purpose to enjoy myself, and I can only do that if I think my partner is enjoying it too. Every once in a while, if partner is up for it, I will deliberately do something that I hope the spectators will enjoy. If my partner likes to interpret the music, I will try to do that, but mostly I am playing. For me the order of importance is play, perform, and lastly "art", or, to put it another way, the dancefloor is firstly a playground, secondly a stage, and thirdly a canvas. (I have assumed it is a meeting ground for everybody) For me an advanced dancer is one that can use the dancefloor for all of those purposes, to suit partner, and the moment.

Anyway, I have put up a poll for others to give their views.

being on the dance floor is always playing for me - stage and canvas always feel a little combined for me

is the dancefloor a canvas on which to paint a four dimensional work of art, the intent of the dancers to interpret the music?
    I don't see that interpreting the music requires thinking of a dance as a canvas. For me dancing is a playground - and I do try to "play with the music" when I can.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

excellent Poll - too highbrow for these philistines though

BigD- bit of a deep thinker ain't'cha?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    BigD- bit of a deep thinker ain't'cha?
    To quote a personality test result: "Thinks deeply before doing anything, usually without doing it."

Surely all 3 options are one and the same ?

If you are painting your 4 dimensional picture by interpretting the music, then surely you are painting it for some one, so the canvas is no different to the stage. At the same time, you can't really play without a decent bit of music to interpret, bringing the playground and canvas together. And if we are playing, then you are playing for someone, be it yourself or your partner or both, which brings you back to the stage.

Personally, most of the time in freestyle I am dancing for my partner(s), trying to make sure that they get the most out of the dance, however when I percieve I have a bit of an audience, I can't resist throwing in the odd move for their benefit as well

Competition dancing is a completely different kettle of fish though.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    Surely all 3 options are one and the same ?

If you are painting your 4 dimensional picture by interpreting the music, then surely you are painting it for some one, so the canvas is no different to the stage. At the same time, you can't really play without a decent bit of music to interpret, bringing the playground and canvas together. And if we are playing, then you are playing for someone, be it yourself or your partner or both, which brings you back to the stage.

Personally, most of the time in freestyle I am dancing for my partner(s), trying to make sure that they get the most out of the dance, however when I percieve I have a bit of an audience, I can't resist throwing in the odd move for their benefit as well

Competition dancing is a completely different kettle of fish though.
    You already acknowledge that there is a difference between performing and playing.
    I agree that sometimes there is little difference between performance and art, but mostly if you saw me "performing" you would be hard put to classify it as "art". There have been a few magical times when partner and I were immersed in the music, feeling part of it, which I consider being part of the art form, and I, at least, had no care what it looked like. For many artists it is the need to express themselves that matters, and they may not share their creations with anybody, it is all for themselves. I am still happy with three categories.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    You already acknowledge that there is a difference between performing and playing.
    Only in terms of who your audience is - I guess what I am saying is that you are your own audience when you are playing, but performing is usually for someone else's benefit.
    I agree that sometimes there is little difference between performance and art, but mostly if you saw me "performing" you would be hard put to classify it as "art".
    There's lots of stuff out there I wouldn't call 'ART', but then everyone's an art critic....

For many artists it is the need to express themselves that matters, and they may not share their creations with anybody, it is all for themselves.
    And I dare say that it's exactly the same for most dancers - I doubt there's many who set out with the ambition of being a professional dancer in a broadway show etc.

Someone used the rep system to comment "interesting, if psuedy", which seems right to me, in retrospect. The idea was prompted by me taking partner across the floor in search for more room, and replying to her objection that there was enough where we came from by putting on a Brian Blessed mock psued impersonation "An artist needs his canvas". I had long made the obvious link between performing and the dancefloor as a stage. I had occassionally seen it as an arena, but not often enough to make that an option. I am heartened by playground featuring so highly in the first and second choices. Thanks to all that responded.

Thread Information