Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoulder Drop

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Talking Re: Strategies to keep beginners

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    swizzle

n : any of various tall frothy mixed drinks made usually of rum and lime juice and sugar shaken with ice

don't recognise that ... though it sounds like a good innovation.

or

To convert external names, array indices, or references within
    a data structure into address pointers when the data structure
    is brought into main memory from external storage (also called
    "pointer swizzling"); this may be done for speed in chasing
    references or to simplify code (e.g. by turning lots of name
    lookups into pointer dereferences). The converse operation is
    sometimes termed "unswizzling".

I rest my case, does that sound like a beginner move?

What was the question again...?

(brain has now turned to soup and is trickling down my neck)........

Good point though - Ceroc has a name for all moves however confusion can be created when travelling to different MJ organisations.

Nicky Haslem had great fun when she taught over here about two years ago - said the name of a move and every one went off and did something different to the move she was teaching.......you know,

The next move starts off like a sway...........and everyone was elsewhere.....

Naming moves is tough though.....usually the name of a move (to fully describe it) would take longer to pronounce than actually dance....

What do others think...time for a poll....
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Re: Strategies to keep beginners

I didn't understand your answer, Gordon...

Offering my left hand behind should lead the lady to take it - that seems to be the standard rule in offering hands, and it cuts across shoulderdrop, catapult, whirlitzer, pretzel, etc, etc. In all these other moves, the lady takes up the offered hand with her [B}free[/B] hand. In the shoulderdrop, the lady takes up the offered hand with her right hand, which is not free - it's on my shoulder.

So, what is it that tells the lady to take up my offered left hand with her right hand, as opposed to taking it with her left?

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper

Offering my left hand behind should lead the lady to take it - that seems to be the standard rule in offering hands, and it cuts across shoulderdrop, catapult, whirlitzer, pretzel, etc, etc. In all these other moves, the lady takes up the offered hand with her [B}free[/B] hand. In the shoulderdrop, the lady takes up the offered hand with her right hand, which is not free - it's on my shoulder.

So, what is it that tells the lady to take up my offered left hand with her right hand, as opposed to taking it with her left?
    On beats four and five both couples side step right hand away from shoulder and then hand back to shoulder (see earlier for what happens)

On beat six, the man lets go of the lady's hand with his right hand (leaving the lady's hand on his shoulder and at the same time as he steps forward, his left hand is offered behind the back and the lady (hopefully) allows her right hand to 'drop' into his left hand.....

Does that help....???

(Why do I know so much about this nasty move...???)
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper

AAhhh...on a re-read - the man steps forward on beats six......that allows the ladies hand to drop...
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Hmm, that makes sense. Though I'm stepping forward on my left foot, so I suppose I should make sure I step forward squarely so that my right shoulder moves forward. I guess I'll play with it some more, and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

Re: Shoulder Drop Variations

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY

My question is though - if it's a beginner's move and everything is supposed to be standard from Ceroc venue to Ceroc venue, shouldn't it be the same for all Ceroc venues?

Why does the Shoulder Drop get to vary so much?
    HI David!

The reason the shoulder drop varies is because it was an intermediate move of which there are about 4 variations. WE were told to teach a shoulder drop but weren't told which variation, therefore you'll probably find different teachers taking different variations.

I've clarified this with ceroc now and the one listed earlier in this post is the correct version for beginners!

Blame Ceroc.........it's never the teachers fault!

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola
    HI David!

The reason the shoulder drop varies is because it was an intermediate move of which there are about 4 variations. WE were told to teach a shoulder drop but weren't told which variation, therefore you'll probably find different teachers taking different variations.

I've clarified this with ceroc now and the one listed earlier in this post is the correct version for beginners!

Blame Ceroc.........it's never the teachers fault!
    Thanks for clarifying Nicola, that makes more sense now.

(But how many other teachers did the same as you and have clarified which version they should teach? )
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Thanks for clarifying Nicola, that makes more sense now.

(But how many other teachers did the same as you and have clarified which version they should teach? )
    To be fair, initially we were told to choose for ourselves and it didn't matter. However I think only now we can see that this is confusing people and it should be standardised. I think Ceroc have now sent out the notations on how it should be taught.

Things can only get better!

Red face Re: Shoulder Drop Variations

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola
    To be fair, initially we were told to choose for ourselves and it didn't matter. However I think only now we can see that this is confusing people and it should be standardised. I think Ceroc have now sent out the notations on how it should be taught.
    They have indeed and the move is still pants (IMHO).

There continues to be much discussion on the beginners moves and the teaching thereof in Ceroc. I am sure that there will be more changes as time goes on however one thing is important and that is feedback from the dancers themselves.

As much as we, as teachers, can say what is easier / more sensible / better to teach, we also need to ensure that the needs of the dancers are met, particularly as it is the beginners class that will make or break a newbie.

Get it right and a person can be hooked for life - get it wrong and the person may be put off all forms of dance for ever.......

I do like to think that we get it right 99% of the time however with change comes the inevitable discomfort for a while - as a teacher I do rely on the class giving me feedback regularly and letting me know if I'm getting it right or not.

At Ceroc Metro we have regular 'prize draw' questionnaires to encourage feedback. I am very much of the opinion that a teacher is a facilitator of a members club night out and as such I am there to make sure the members have the best night possible - this means responding to them...
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Canterbury, Kent - The garden of England.

Talking Re: Shoulder Drop Variations

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J Pownall
    as a teacher I do rely on the class giving me feedback regularly and letting me know if I'm getting it right or not.
    Gordy,

I haven't been to Maidstone for a while but on the occasions that I did ...

... you were getting it right [IMHO]

Red face Re: Shoulder Drop Variations

Quote Originally Posted by Bigger Andy
    Gordy,

I haven't been to Maidstone for a while but on the occasions that I did ...

... you were getting it right [IMHO]
    Cheers Mate - I'm trying to put a face to the name.......come and see me again soon - we will soon be a nosmo venue......

Oh...and in the interests of brotherly love, have some rep as well.....
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Canterbury, Kent - The garden of England.

Question Re: Shoulder Drop Variations

... a nosmo venue ...
    I haven't heard of that !

What's one of those when it's at home ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigger Andy
    I haven't heard of that !

What's one of those when it's at home ?
    no smoking.....I haven't heard it as NOSMO before either

Talking Re: Shoulder Drop Variations

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    no smoking.....I haven't heard it as NOSMO before either
    Sorry guys (and gals)....

When I worked for social services in London, I shared an office with three other social workers / care managers.

Of the four of us, three of us smoked and one didn't. The one who didn't had the surname of King......

Very quickly (within about ten seconds of him starting) he acquired the nickname of Nosmo - as in :-...........

NOSMO KING

So that's what a nosmo venue / office / other place is.......
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

www.vatsim-uk.org

Sorry guys (and gals)....

Very quickly (within about ten seconds of him starting) he acquired the nickname of Nosmo - as in :-...........

NOSMO KING
    also a 1920s-30s music hall artiste! No I don't remember him first hand, before anyone comments!!

Thread Information