Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I have just read....

Re: I have just read....

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    Pizza Hut leaflet, i was shocked at all the good deals
    I especially like the part about the "Meal Deal" you can even get a litre of pop free

But the best read was "at my sister's local chinese", very interesting and tasty dishes
    stop it

Watching the English by Kate Fox

This book is great if the way people act and think is at all interesting to you - written about the ingrained characteristics, attitudes, quirks and reflexes of English people and society, and with a lot of very entertaining observations and asides. You will hardly be able to read a page without thinking 'Oh, yes, I do that' or even 'I thought I was the only one!'

Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan

My sister is a big fan and raves about them - so thought I'd give 'em a go. But am I going to regret getting stuck into this lot? Especially if I can't even be bothered to write about them and use a Wiki link instead?

The first book was OK - derivative, but fine for reading on the train. I also have books 2 & 3, but could get pricey if I "have to have" the whole set (up to 11 now and will be 12 eventually, plus prequels, spin-offs, other "how much money can I screw out of this concept" publications... )

Comments from anyone else who has read more of them than I have?

Quote Originally Posted by LMC

My sister is a big fan and raves about them - so thought I'd give 'em a go. But am I going to regret getting stuck into this lot? Especially if I can't even be bothered to write about them and use a Wiki link instead?

The first book was OK - derivative, but fine for reading on the train. I also have books 2 & 3, but could get pricey if I "have to have" the whole set (up to 11 now and will be 12 eventually, plus prequels, spin-offs, other "how much money can I screw out of this concept" publications... )

Not read a one. But I am reliably informed they are the literary version of "Zeno's paradox" - once RJ realised he had a sure fire money spinner, each book only covers half as much development as the one before, ensuring that the series will never end. There are, of course, hard core fans who worship every page, but most others have given up on the series reaching completion for many many more years...

Book 1 isn't that good a representation of the series - it's my least favourite of all the ones I've read (I got to book 9 before my library of fantasy/sci-fi books dried up, and only bought book 10 after this, due to poor-studentage).

I personally really enjoyed the ideas behind them but just found them a bit more heavy-going than they deserved - I'm quite a fast reader, but one of the books took me nearly a month during the summer holidays to finish! Plus, their release is far too infrequent to be able to buy them as they come out and still remember what happened in the last book - even the 17-page Glossary at the back doesn't help that much, because the stories are so complex, with so many sidelines that might be important later.

My recommendation with this lot would be, once they've all come out in paperback, club together with a few interested people to buy the set and read them with reasonably little space in between each book. That way, you can enjoy the good points of the books (character development, weaving storylines, great setting etc) without either forking out tons of cash or waiting so long you forget the story.

Thanks for WoT feedback - I can borrow most of 'em from my sister

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden*

Fascinating insight into a very "alien" culture - Japan between the wars and up to the early 1950s. Amazon review linked above is spot-on IMO. Given the level of detail of early training/experiences, I felt the ending was a bit rushed. But this book is definitely a "keeper", I'm sure I'll be re-reading it in the future.

*Yes I've done a lot of reading recently... 2 x 11 hour flights to and from the US & a bad back stopping me dancing I also usually have at least 2 books on the go at once.

Thanks for WoT feedback - I can borrow most of 'em from my sister

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden*

<< snip >>
    I liked the way this book conveyed the rigours and cruelties involved in this way of life. I liked the description of the ambiguity in the relationships between the Geisha, her patron and her other customers.

Have you seen the promos for the film? It looks beautiful and "close" to episodes I vaguely remember from the book.

The Japanese are supposed to be boycotting the film because the title-role actrees (Ziyi Zhang?) is Chinese (no love lost between those countries, still)

Anyone want to see the film in the cold, post-Xmas new year?

Clive

It is Ziyi Zhang. Michelle Yeoh, who plays Mameha, the heroine - Sayuri's - mentor (Older Sister) is also Chinese. Both actresses appeared in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and work well on screen together - but it does seem a shame that "big name" actresses were more important than getting the nationality right.

Having said that, I'd be up for seeing the film - another MFG + Chinese meal in the New Year perhaps? (before KatieR departs )

I agree on the ambiguities. More on the actual dance/tea ceremony training and the philosophies would have been interesting too - in my recollection, there was more detail on the importance of the tea ceremony rituals in Shogun (the book, not the TV series)!

I would have liked more on the adjustment to her new role at the end of the book (even that's a slight spoiler so don't want to say any more than that).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Revelation Space, by Alastair Reynolds. Space opera, in the style of Banks / Hamilton, but very well done. The first book of a trilogy, and yes I was indeed sad enough to buy all three in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    I

Anyone want to see the film in the cold, post-Xmas new year?

Clive
    definatly but in Bristol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4503454.stm

God's Debris by Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert but absolutely nothing like it).

I downloaded this free copy of this book yesterday, and I would definitely recommend it as a one-sitting read. Think of it as a sort of cross between Sophie's World and the Matrix in presenting an alternative view of the world through the lessons of one who knows to one who doesn't. Probably not a good choice for anyone with strongly pious views, but for all of you who like to "have your perceptions challenged", this certainly does that .

I'll stop babbling now and let you try it and judge for yourselves, but I'd love to hear other's views on the concepts in this one.

Oh, and if you need more persuading than the general challenge, there's even a page or two that tells you how to form perfect relationships...

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    God's Debris by Scott Adams
    Yes, it's a fascinating read, though I really should have another read of it to refresh my memory of it...

I think though that a proper discussion of it deserves a new thread. (I've been meaning to create one for a while...)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Just read books 1 to 3 of The Emperor series by Conn Iggulden, Book 4 will be next as it was released jan 06
    peter

Well... I have just read the collected stories by Anton Chekhov and "Trainspotting" for the fifth consecutive time. Listen people who have "Trainspotting" in English? Could you send me it, please? That is one of my favourite books. I have turned upside-down all the Internet but I didn't find it. Damn! My e-mail is wildamberguitar@mail.ru. Oki?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Russian
    Well... I have just read the collected stories by Anton Chekhov and "Trainspotting" for the fifth consecutive time. Listen people who have "Trainspotting" in English? Could you send me it, please? That is one of my favourite books. I have turned upside-down all the Internet but I didn't find it. Damn! My e-mail is wildamberguitar@mail.ru. Oki?
    Welcome Crazy Russian

Are you REALLY in Russia

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

2 Minnie M.
    Really. There is nothing to surprize. The temperature in our city is 28' below zero cent. scale now. So do you have '"Trainspotting"?

You know, I decided to improve my English significantly. I associated with one girl from the USA. She told me that the best way to boost the level of my English was to read original books. Well, it is "Trainspotting" that is the book I want to read first of all.

Angels and Demons
    by Dan Brown

I managed to find time to read this last week wilst suffering with a nasty bug

It was very difficault to put down - some similarities to the Da Vinci Code, but the interesting twists kept me hooked!
    Makes me want to visit Rome!

p.s. im all better now!

"Dead Simple" by Peter James

Brilliant first chapter and this is the quickest I've read a book in ages - took me a week (but it was a busy week). Want to get my hands on more of his books now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Book 1 isn't that good a representation of the series - it's my least favourite of all the ones I've read (I got to book 9 before my library of fantasy/sci-fi books dried up, and only bought book 10 after this, due to poor-studentage).
    That's funny!
    I actually liked book 1 best - I felt it stood well alone, it started quickly and was a real page turner. I felt a lot of sympathy with the characters, and liked the fact that not only did time pass, but the characters changed a lot in their exposure to the larger world.
    With the furthur books, I loved the ideas, the characters, the situations - but it all moves too slowly! By the 5th book I was ready for closure And I don't think I've read anything past book 8 or 9.
    When book 12 comes out, I'll take a couple weeks off work, find a comfy chair and a good supply of chocolate biscuits and that nice camembert I just discovered, and re-read the lot!

Thread Information