Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: I have just read....

Re: Going Postal - Pratchett prattle

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Unfortunately, I haven't got the early ones to lend you, but try them, and see what you think.
    I have, having only recently started to read Pratchett. Good fun on the train, I'll loan them to you/Clive. "Monty Python does fantasy" maybe? Or think Douglas Adams with less intelligence meets Tom Sharpe with less toilet humour.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The appeal is along the lines of:
    { snip accurate list }
    To me, his main appeal now is that he puts current situations into fantasy settings. He also, especially in his most recent books, makes serious and powerful points about issues like racism (Jingo), religious fanaticism (Small Gods), unfettered capitalism (Going Postal) and so on.

Obviously, he's got a left-ish, humanist, British bias, but that suits me exactly.

-Extremely British sarcastic wit that even DavidJames would struggle to imitate
    Where do you think I got that from in the first place? 15 years of Pratchett-reading has an effect, you know.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the early ones to lend you, but try them, and see what you think.
    I've got 'em all, but I'd recommend not reading the first two, they only start rolling when he started creating his own plots rather than satirising standard fantasy plots.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    I've got 'em all, but I'd recommend not reading the first two, they only start rolling when he started creating his own plots rather than satirising standard fantasy plots.
    I reckon 'Mort' (#4) was the first really original one. I've only just finished Pyramids (which I think is #7?) so can't comment on the later ones - but will look forward to 'em on the basis of what DJ said. Unless they are likely to give me a social conscience, in which case they'll be straight down to the charity shop :non-existent deadpan smiley:

To me, his main appeal now is that he puts current situations into fantasy settings. He also, especially in his most recent books, makes serious and powerful points about issues like racism (Jingo), religious fanaticism (Small Gods), unfettered capitalism (Going Postal) and so on.
    Absolutely - althought sometimes he takes the allegory a little too far (can't think of the example I mean right now, and my supervisor is looking at me funny so I'm not going to look it up).
    Where do you think I got that from in the first place? 15 years of Pratchett-reading has an effect, you know.
    I was wondering why it sounded so familiar...
    Well in that case I think I've got all the best ones, except the last few anyway. My favourites being Soul Music (obviously) and Hogfather.

In fact I might even come to the Halloween Party tonight as Susan Sto-Helit, just to be topical.

Re: I have just read....

Hmmm, yes, I used to think Terry Pratchett was just for geeks.... I've never been into books of this genre before, but after reading one (think the first one I read was 'Hogfather') I was hooked. They're brilliant! Hmmm, maybe I've turned into a geek?

I've read one extremely entertaining and bizarre book recently, called 'Emotionally Weird' by Kate Atkinson. It's set (mostly) in Dundee in the 70s, but is also several stories being told at the same time, so you never quite know what's coming next. All of a sudden you find yourself reading a story written by a character in a story told by one of the main characters... Uh, did that make sense? A tad confusing to start with, but I soon got into it, and really enjoyed it. The language is rich, the characters are bizarre, and the plot(s) are quite frankly weird - and very funny.

LM

I read a Pratchett novel every so often - I usually buy one at airports - the only time I buy 'new' books (which owing to my dancing trips means I've bought more than the usual number the past year). Some have clicked with me more than others, and I like the shift in focus from the different groups of characters (wizards, watch, Death and family etc) while still retaining consistency. I find them quite re-readable as well (always a plus with me as I read a lot).

Just read 'Moving Pictures' (bought en route to BFG).

Just finshed The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. I must admit that Messr Strobe'ls semi-sanctimonious style did grate a bit, but I found the evidence presented surprisingly strong .. and as a Christian I'm supposed to already believe this stuff. Warning, do no read the section describing the physical trauma caused by cruxification either immediatly before, after or ceratinly not during a meal ... a bit graffic

Got me wondering, I would love to read a book that presents the same for the Muslim, Hindu or Jewish faiths. Any recommendations?

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian.

I was inspired to read this after seeing the film and I really enjoyed it. I'll have to try and work my way through the other 19 books in the series now.

The Insider - Piers Morgan's diary of his NOTW and Mirror years.

He's obviously a very bright guy - and has a conscience. But it's quite disturbing how he deliberately ignored said conscience for the sake of sellign papers. For all Morgan is very frank about his failings and has a nice line in self-deprecation, it's obvious it's still with an eye to making him look good - "I behaved badly, but hey, I'm admitting it so I must still be a good guy".

I think he would be a very interesting person to have lunch with - but a nice guy? - I don't think so...

As a book, it was a fascinating insight into how the tabloids work and some very funny insights into the cult of celebrity - and what some 'celebrities' are really like. Terribly cynical - sometimes hilariously, sometimes wincingly and no holds barred - a good read.

Not a big reader but have just finished a true crime book called "The Law Killers"...about the many murders that have taken place in Dundee over the years that all seem to somehow involve one of Dundee's most notable monuments...the Law hill.

A tad disturbing to say the least but very interesting...well, at least to those who live in/around Dundee anyway.

JB x x

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Recently:

The diary of rachel Corrie
    Spining into butter- Rebecca Gilman
    Julie Birchill is away- Tim Fountain
    (I had a weird thing for politically related plays all of a sudden)

Currently reading:

Silent Engine- Julian Garner
    The memory of Water and five kinds of silence- Shelagh Stephenson
    The Vagina Monologues- Eve Ensler
    .I'll finish reading them this week.

Also looking at Plays in one act, edited by Daniel Halpern

And have bought Duck by Stella Feehily and Arthur Millers The Crucible, i'll read after them, then back to the book shop

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (Susanna Clarke)

At nearly 1000 pages, it takes some commitment - but worth the effort IMO. Harry Potter for grown ups: an alternative England in the 1800s has many amateur magicians, but they are all theoretical - until a couple of Yorkshire men track down Mr Norrell - England's last practising magician. The story comes in three main sections: 1) After proving his practical magical abilities, Mr Norrell moves to London, offering his services to the Government in the war (Napoleonic) effort. Unfortunately, no-one wants to know until he raises the young fiance of one of the ministers from the dead - but has to call on assistance from someone who causes even more problems. 2) The story gets really interesting when Jonathan Strange, a "natural" magician, becomes Mr Norrell's apprentice. 3) Competition between the two magicians and the fallout from Mr Norrell's resurrection brings matters to a crisis - will magic ever fully return to England?

To be honest, I didn't find any of the major characters particularly 'sympathetic' - I wished some of the more minor characters had bigger roles. But the concept was a bit different and nicely done. The writing is Dickensian in style: quite understated, occasionally tries too hard and ends up being pretentious. Extensive footnotes give a nice little "backstory" but are occasionally a distraction. However, after a slowish start, it's quite a gripping yarn. And if you don't like the book in it's primary purpose, it will make a fantastic doorstop.

44 Scotland Street (Alexander McCall)

Yes, he of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, which I adore (can't remember whether they've been reviewed on here, will check when I have some time!)

44 Scotland Street is completely different from that series. For a start, it's set in Edinburgh, not Botswana. But the "treatment" is very similar - slightly old-fashioned, understated, sympathetic, funny, sometimes tragic.

The story centres around the inhabitants of an Edinburgh house which has been converted into apartments - particularly Pat, a 20-year old girl on her second gap year (for reasons never made quite clear - but they aren't nice).

AM freely admits that the book was inspired by Maupin's Tales of the City - which I read years ago and enjoyed - so I enjoyed this. A nice, gentle, easy, comforting read, with enough 'meat' so that your brain doesn't quite shrivel up whilst reading it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (Susanna Clarke)

At nearly 1000 pages, it takes some commitment - but worth the effort IMO.
    I'm sorry, I normally love this stuff, but I just didn't get into it at all. I waded through 700+ pages, simply because I'm stubborn as hell, but I really couldn't face finishing it. It's still on my shelf, and I don't even feel a slight "How did it end?" compulsion, I've always got better things to do with 2 hours of my time.

OK, it didn't help that, like you say, the characters are unsympathetic - I really didn't care much what happened to them. But even so, I wasn't impressed with it.

I'm sorry, I normally love this stuff, but I just didn't get into it at all. I waded through 700+ pages, simply because I'm stubborn as hell, but I really couldn't face finishing it. It's still on my shelf, and I don't even feel a slight "How did it end?" compulsion, I've always got better things to do with 2 hours of my time.
    A couple of people whose opinions I respect raved about it, but it just didn't do it for me.

OK, it didn't help that, like you say, the characters are unsympathetic - I really didn't care much what happened to them. But even so, I wasn't impressed with it.
    (again) Definitely failed the eight deadly words ("I don't care what happens to those people") test for me.

The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl. Belle De Jour

I really don't think you need me to tell you what its about!

Personally I don't believe she has ever been a call girl. Very funny and insightful book though, made me laugh all the way through it. Filthy and couldn't put it down

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl. Belle De Jour

Enjoyed the first third then she seemed to repeat herself

So it joined the unfinished pile

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    AM freely admits that the book was inspired by Maupin's Tales of the City - which I read years ago and enjoyed - so I enjoyed this. A nice, gentle, easy, comforting read, with enough 'meat' so that your brain doesn't quite shrivel up whilst reading it.
    Interesting, I have Scotland Street in my "pile" and hadn't picked up that this was the inspiration. Have you read the whole series?? If not, I really would recommend the rest of them, the revelations and twists in the lives are fascinating, I re-read the whole lot every three years or so.

Also in the pile for this month is " The Source" by James Michener - anyone a fan of his??

My sisters 'Chat' magazine

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Pizza Hut leaflet, i was shocked at all the good deals
    I especially like the part about the "Meal Deal" you can even get a litre of pop free

But the best read was "at my sister's local chinese", very interesting and tasty dishes

Thread Information